Sponsored

The big Intercooler thread.

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Ecoboost Mustang
So I'm thinking it's bigger at the bottom for heats soaking purposes right?
Yes retaining the thicker section adds to the thermal mass and increases the time it would take to heatsoak the unit. The added core volume also allows us to increase fin density which also increases the thermal mass of the unit!
Sponsored

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup this^^ Unlike the large tall IC's that actually mount forward of the stock IC leaving the stock IC space empty, the ATM IC Uses the stock IC space as well as the space in front of the IC. Imagine it as a BETTER THAN stock IC and a tall front mount all in one.
Changed it for you, BUT you get the point!

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Well that sounds good. If you need people to test your intercooler I'll be glad to help.

JerseyDevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that sounds good. If you need people to test your intercooler I'll be glad to help.
Most certainly we want to have a few of these out in the field prior to widespread release!

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Most certainly we want to have a few of these out in the field prior to widespread release!
If I have the cash when its released count me in as well. I just need to stop spending on other parts for this car.

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
Well when ready for the testing phase make sure you let is know on the forum. I'm sure a lot of us are willing to help you evaluate the intercooler.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
As we offer for every other vehicle,once our Intercooler becomes available we will gladly submit it for INDEPENDANT testing against any other unit in regards to:
-AIT Drop
-Heat soak suppression
-Pressure Drop
-Build Quality
This is the type of data I wish everyone involved in producing parts for the Eco would offer.

I like the confidence in your product.

2015-MUSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Intercoolers are a new concept for me. At what point would you say an intercooler is a good idea. I don't race. I push my car as a daily driver pretty hard but nothing crazy. I don't think I need an intercooler upgrade with my tune. Correct me if i m wrong. Also what is concidered a high inlet temp? Wondering what to watch out for in case I may need an intercooler one day.

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR IC JLT CAI ATP DP Meth INJ Cobb Tune FR ABs
ATP are in the final stages of testing their Intercooler which has a Garrett core. Since the intercooler is connected to the the turbo, I'm going with the company that makes both. ATP has some killer dyno graphs on their site that shows what their various configs have done in testing. Looks like their IC doesn't raise peak performance but it seriously adds power across the rpm range.

OP
OP
PewterCam

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Intercoolers are a new concept for me. At what point would you say an intercooler is a good idea. I don't race. I push my car as a daily driver pretty hard but nothing crazy. I don't think I need an intercooler upgrade with my tune. Correct me if i m wrong. Also what is concidered a high inlet temp? Wondering what to watch out for in case I may need an intercooler one day.
Technically you don't Need an IC but the stock IC is not up to the job and is not very efficient and too small for real performance. completely stock off the showroom floor would be point I'd would replace the IC if they were available. Even on a stock Tune an IC would be a great upgrade. All dyno runs I've seen on stock cars have high charge air temps which causes all sorts of Overtemp protections to kick in and cause massive power drops.

To see IC efficiency you would need to watch the inlet air temp (temp at the filer) vs the Charge air temp (temp after the IC). You would need a handheld or some way to log or view the Charge Air temp as there is no dash display for that. In a perfect setup the inlet air temp and the Charge air temp would be the same. Meaning the air came in, compressed in the turbo which heats it, then then cooled in the IC, and into the engine.

Its not just temp either... an undersized or poorly designed IC will also cause pressure drops meaning the turbo outlet is at 20psi but after the IC it drops to 14psi meaning less boost and less power.

Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
If you can keep the timing from crapping out, you can make some power....especially if you can add some timing beyond the stock curve. Better intercooling and meth injection will both assist with that. I was seeing IATs this weekend over 100 degrees down the track in 45 degree ambient air. Better than last time, when I was seeing 150-180...but I was running 5 psi less boost this time as well.

Mike

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
Subbing to this.

I will probably be picking up an intercooler within the next few months, before I even do a downpipe.

YellowBee

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Eco-boost Mustang
MMR has a pretty good one.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Downpipe is next for me, then an intercooler. I need to get those IATs under control....especially at the track.

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
Figured we would post up a quick pic of the MMR version, it is almost twices as thick and double the height! Performance improvement is identical to the Garret Core sold by ATP as far as HP and Air temps are concerned.

Sponsored