Sponsored

Possible blown head gasket and bad turbo on my 2016

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I started looking at photos of other members engine bays. It didn't take long to find a couple other engines with the same type of leak (I should have saved the pics...). I'm starting to think this is fairly common. If you are still under warranty, you might want to take it in to get fixed. Ford should pay for a rental (at least they will in my case) so it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

My car has never idled particularly smooth. The first time I felt it stutter it definitely got my attention but after a while I figured it was just normal. It still stutters on occasion but it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

As far as the ticking goes, its possible that it is a exhaust leak but I kind of doubt it. If I get a chance, I will try to get a video of the sound. I'm not sure the sound will come across but I'll give it a shot. The car is scheduled to go in on Wednesday. Hopefully I will have a better idea of what is going on then. Thanks for the feedback. :cheers:
I think everyone gets an occasional shudder. Try turning on the AC and it has a noticeably rougher idle.

When cold, while the idle is around 900 ish RPM i get that "wobble" you described. It's always done that since new, never got worse or better, stock or modified, factory or FP calibration.

I wouldn't worry too much about a "rough idle" or "wobble". I've NEVER owned a 4 cylinder that idle's smooth. Heck even my girl friend's Honda insight has a bit of a rough idle and that has a little 1.3L.
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Ticking noises are par for the course in Direct Injected engines...especially when the engine is cold.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I myself too have always had the stumble and hiccups on idle since the car was new, and thought plugs were the problem, driving me crazy for while but like lion mentioned it has not gotten any better or worse and have come to live with it. And yea the ticking noises are most definitely DI related, 20-30 seconds after idle you could here rapid clanking for few seconds then goes away.

OP
OP
reed034

reed034

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
Vehicle Showcase
Ticking noises are par for the course in Direct Injected engines...especially when the engine is cold.
Yeah, maybe a knock would better describe this noise... I'm pretty familiar with the DI tick.

Just to give you a bit of background - When I took my car in for its first oil change at ~9,000 miles at a dealership in Encinitas CA, this knock was first brought to my attention. The service rep told me it was unusual but not to worry about it too much. The car ran fine so I dismissed the issue. Then at 18,000 miles I took it to another dealer in Irvine CA for an oil change. I didn't mention anything about the noise when I dropped if off. After the oil change was completed the service rep brought up the leaking timing cover and this knocking noise. Because it brought up at two separate dealers, I am pretty confident there is something funky going on... What exactly that is is... I don't know.

To give you guys an update - The dealer fixed the leaking timing cover. Also, I mentioned to the service rep that the car was making a squeaking noise after I turned it off. I'm almost positive it was because some oil had gotten on the belt as a result of the leak. They ended up replacing the belt tensioner... Probably not necessary but hey, Ill take it. As far as the knocking noise, they were not able to find the cause. Going forward, I plan to keep an eye/ear on it but I'm going to try to not worry about it.
Sponsored