Sponsored

Questions about venting to atmosphere and intercoolers

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I have 2 stupid questions. I'd like to do the quick and easy mod of pulling the tube off the intake and capping it to hear more blow off noise but I'm a little worried about any possible damage it may do in the long run to the engine by taking the tube off. . Is there any possibility of damage in doing this and will Ford void the warranty if I did this?

Also, I'd like to put an aftermarket intercooler on the car. Seems like a no brainer for not only increased performance but better reliability and longevity of the engine. Would installing that void a warranty as well?
Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I've been driving my car with the recirculation tube removed for about a year and a half.. no issues so far. When I get a oil change I just put it back on.. although last time I took it to the dealer for the AC Evap repair/oil change I had it removed and they didn't care.

The intercooler can void your warranty but it's not likely.. it really all depends on your dealer.. hell a cold air intake can void your warranty if they can somehow correlate any issue to it..

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I've been driving my car with the recirculation tube removed for about a year and a half.. no issues so far. When I get a oil change I just put it back on.. although last time I took it to the dealer for the AC Evap repair/oil change I had it removed and they didn't care.

The intercooler can void your warranty but it's not likely.. it really all depends on your dealer.. hell a cold air intake can void your warranty if they can somehow correlate any issue to it..

Thanks for the help. Did you remove the tube altogether or just let it hang there? Also, did you put a tube clamp around the chair leg cap on the intake side to make sure it didn't wriggle off?

Last edited:

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Thanks for the help. Did you remove the tube altogether or just let it hang there? Also, did you put a tube tightened band around the chair leg cap on the intake side to make sure it didn't wriggle off?
At first I had the tube dangling.. eventually I disconnected all together because I was trying to change the sound of it.. Lol. :D

I bought an HKS fin and various diameter tubes to experiment changing the sound of the blow off.. it did change slightly but it wasn't enough to justify the cost of all the parts so I returned everything. (thank you Amazon Prime)

And no, I didn't put a band on the intake cap, I didn't use a chair leg cap either tho Lol.. I bought a 1'' rubber cap thingy that Adam recommended as it was meant for such application however it's only sold in bulk.. so I had to buy a pack of 100, it was only like $15 tho.. fits very snug and is meant to take the temperature in the engine compartment.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
At first I had the tube dangling.. eventually I disconnected all together because I was trying to change the sound of it.. Lol. :D

I bought an HKS fin and various diameter tubes to experiment changing the sound of the blow off.. it did change slightly but it wasn't enough to justify the cost of all the parts so I returned everything. (thank you Amazon Prime)

And no, I didn't put a band on the intake cap, I didn't use a chair leg cap either tho Lol.. I bought a 1'' rubber cap thingy that Adam recommended as it was meant for such application however it's only sold in bulk.. so I had to buy a pack of 100, it was only like $15 tho.. fits very snug and is meant to take the temperature in the engine compartment.
Now would be the perfect time to sell one of them. :headbang:

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I have 2 stupid questions. I'd like to do the quick and easy mod of pulling the tube off the intake and capping it to hear more blow off noise but I'm a little worried about any possible damage it may do in the long run to the engine by taking the tube off. . Is there any possibility of damage in doing this and will Ford void the warranty if I did this?

Also, I'd like to put an aftermarket intercooler on the car. Seems like a no brainer for not only increased performance but better reliability and longevity of the engine. Would installing that void a warranty as well?
Both can void your warranty. Just depends on the dealership. Remove either mod before taking it in for service and you will be fine.

The chair cap works perfectly and doesn't need a clamp on it. Air is being sucked IN through the air intake tube, not pushing air out. That's why you don't need a clamp. I wouldn't worry about the chair cap being exposed to a little heat. It isn't in a high temperature zone of the engine bay(aka right beside of the turbo). I've been running one for awhile now, no issues at all. Several other people are doing the same. It's a tight fit. Drive more, worry less. :headbang:

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
if you're bringing it in for warranty the dealer has to prove that the part you put on cause the issue for them to void the warranty

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT

Not if you use the Ford Performance GT350 CAI and have the install done by a certified tech. That's the beauty of the Ford Performance Power Packs. Once your warranty is up you can step up to something more aggressive.

It's also a really good break in period, to test the engine's durability and gives you run time to ensure there's no Ford manufacturing or materials defects. While very rare even bone stock car's have thrown rods due to struck injectors.

F-150's had a rash of bad injectors and rods a while back and there were quite a few that were throwing rods bone stock after 20k~30k miles.

But I have not really seen any with those sort of defects make it past about 30k. Basically infant mortality. Yes you spend and extra $500 but is it worth risking a $7,000 engines?

Fail an engine and you should of just bought the GT from the start because for an extra engine's cost you literally could have gotten the GT :D

Also with Ford Performance the Inter Cooler does NOT affect their supplemental warranty since it's not a power adder (even though it's effects are actually adding power because the stock unit heat soaks so quickly).

A good setup for a daily would the Ford Performance Calibration + CAI and a good inter cooler from Garrett, CP-e or ATM and you can have the car warranty certified that way.

Be careful with VTA because you can add contamination. Remember while cruising the valve will often remain continuously open when under 1psi boost. It's even open some times during vacuum while curising on the highway. Without positive pressure your sucking in air directly into the turbine inlet and ultimately going directly into the intake...without a filter...not good for engine longevity. I'd come up with some sort of filter, use something like a crank case breather filter or at MINIMUM and outer wears pre-filter.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Turbosmart plumb back valve that I have converted to a VTA.
It is connected to a Mishimoto charge pipe.
My solution was to attach an Airaid breather filter to the open end of the now BOV.
Chair tip on the intake tube.

https://flic.kr/p/X9zneE

https://flic.kr/p/WtNk5w
Sponsored