Sponsored

MT-82 Ecoboost Launch Techniques

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Anyone with an MT-82 Ecoboost mustang on street tires is welcome to chime in. Looking at going to the drag strip this fall when turbo weather comes.

Ford Performance tuned with an inter cooler and short 3.73 Torsen diff, but manual and ecoboost don't get along as far as easy launches go. In fact I think the manual paired with the ecoboost is about the worst combination possible for drag launching :doh: so it's going to take some learnins!

I'm running 275 Pilot Sport AS3+ tires. So hopefully the short gearing and tires make it not so horrible to get going, but what RPM are yall launching at with similar setups?

I keep getting told 2100~2200 but that's from the auto guys, I don't exactly have a torque converter with a 2:1 peak slip ratio...I did a little experimenting back when I still have stock 235 all seasons with up to 2500 RPM and that seemed to work decent on some back roads (just 0-60 runs).

Any advice or info on what worked for you and as much detail as possible would be appreciated. I can always try something different if it doesn't work. This may very well be the last manual I ever buy...10 speed auto's are going to be the tranny to get (especially if it was a dual clutch, best of both worlds), but I'd like to make the most of it cause it's what I got :thumbsup:

I really got the manual ecoboost for daily driving and track use, which I think it will excel at, but I also wanted to see what I could do with it at the strip. I realize it's a far from ideal setup, I'm hoping at best low 13's (maybe a 13.4~13.3) but not sure if I'll get there with a manual on street tires with a FP calibration. Any help would be well...helpful once turbo weather comes.
Sponsored