Sponsored

3.7 litre reliablity

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi i would love to know if you guys would say this motor is reliable? Is it a solid engine? Will it have problems like my old grand am GT did with gaskets. I hope not:(
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
They are solid engines though all cars/engines can have issues but the 3.7 always seemed to do really well.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
All the problems with the 3.7 had to do with front wheel drive cars. The weird water pump that would dump fluid into the engine does not apply because the Mustang’s is outside. The transmission problems were all front wheel drive and with the Mustangs it is frankly over engineered and probably will last forever. The earlier S550 Mustangs did have a recall on the throttle body that would just die on you but the 2017s were exempt. Frankly not much goes wrong with these cars anymore and with the last year expect practically no problems at all for at least 150,000 miles.

Also, the car is faster than the EcoBoost as almost everybody puts 87 octane gas in their cars after the first few weeks of ownership. Those guys never challenge me. It is the best handling of all the current Mustangs as I believe the platform was originally designed around the turbo V6 which never happened, and is a shame that Ford de-optioned this car because of it.

Take the speed governor off the car and it goes 157mph! Completely quiet until WOT and the the car literally sounds like an old F1 engine - biggest surprise of all for me!

This car is the Rodney Dangerfield of sportscars and gets no respect! This car was the whipping boy of the sportscar world. Until this car all my Mustangs were 5.0s and I bought this V6 because of optics even though I could have gone way more expensive. I bought this not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. Actually I was very surprised. The only caveat was gas mileage but for these cars that should not matter. I laugh when V6 guys trot that argument out as the needle just drops like a rock when I drive it. This car is what it is and is my DD which is its purpose. When I need more space I have a Buick Enclave. Next car is a GT500 or C7. Two Mustang 5.0s were enough for me. And that is my biased free review of the car.

This is one solid car!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Iwu-6GxBHN4[/MEDIA]"]

Last edited:

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
No, i don't think the engine will have any problems (srs). Its solid unlike that 4banger. jk

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I was thoroughly impressed by the 3.7 when it debuted in the 2011 Mustang. I had 135,000 miles on my 2011 when I traded it for my 2015. Other than routine oil changes there was no service or repairs needed on that engine and the day I traded it in it still ran as smooth and strong as the day I got it! And YES, I got the 3.7 in my 2015 also!

I don't know what the above poster is doing with his car or expecting from it to be so critical of his MPG, but the 3.7 is very efficient for the power it makes. I regularly get 28 - 30 mpg on the highway, 30+ mpg is not too hard to achieve if you drive it sanely. If you drive it like a sports car every time you take it out and/or do a drag launch at every stop light then yeah, you'll get lower mpg, but if it's your daily driver like mine is, you should be able to get just as good mpg as any boring sedan with a V6, it just depends on how you drive it.

In a nutshell, yes the 3.7 is a very solid, reliable engine, and makes a very fun to drive package in these cars on top of it! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's a very solid engine. With the right gears it actually is pretty quick too (I really enjoyed the 3.55 with the manual when I drove it).

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Good engine. I daily drove a S197 to 100k+ before trading. If I didn’t feel like towing the race car to the track. I’d run the V6 to high 13s. Car held up like a champ.

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
thank you very much guys! It means a lot to let me know this is a solid and good motor. Sad they got rid of it:(

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
thank you very much guys! It means a lot to let me know this is a solid and good motor. Sad they got rid of it:(
It looks like all the police cars in Toronto (police interceptors) will have this engine in them so the engine is still alive and well at Ford. These will replace the old Crown Victoria models. There were about thirty or forty at the big Ford dealership at Steele’s and Yonge two weeks ago. Your tax dollars are being well spent with this engine in those cars.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
I have 88k miles on my '15. No engine/transmission issues. I change the oil about every 7-8k miles which is about 10 weeks, and it has been good to me.

I think it is a great balance of power, reliability and fuel economy.

The only problem I had with this car was with the brakes, had a brake booster fail @ 40k miles.

Sponsored

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
I also enjoy the reinforcement. My car has only 7k miles and its about perfect balance. A GT would be very overpowered on my local roads.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi i would love to know if you guys would say this motor is reliable? Is it a solid engine? Will it have problems like my old grand am GT did with gaskets. I hope not:(
Just hit 30K. I've not had one single problem with any of the car at all.

I drive most of the time in very heavy traffic which is not exactly great for it. The other part of the time I don't go easy on her!

Yes, this is a great engine, built with Mazda and has been around long enough for any of the kinks to be ironed out.

Don't think that just because it's American it's bad. I had a Toyota Celica before this with the 5SFE. That thing leaked all the time, it never broke down, but it didn't seem to live up to the ultra reliable rock solid Toyota name.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I really miss my 2014 V6. Would I trade my '17 EB for the V6? Probably not as I'm really liking the platform. The 3.7 is definitely a solid platform and will take a fair amount of abuse. Every engine is prone to issues, some just don't have near as many.

Sadly, mine didn't fare so well :( Ended up trading the 3.7 after I found out that it needed the passenger head replaced at 18k miles. But it got me into my '17 so I can't complain all that much haha.
Sponsored