Sponsored

Tires that Hold on Dry Asphalt at 600+ RWHP (not DR)

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
I would highly recommend the Continental Extreme Contact Sport. I have them in stock PP size and they handle my power just fine and are excellent in the wet.
Sponsored

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
^ I was actually going to mentioned that. Nobody else here tried Continentals with FI?
[MENTION=13844]Brn N Rubr[/MENTION]

So your tires are 265's and your car can hook in all gears with 600ish hp?

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Less tire discusson, more suspension discussion to get it put down. The S550 in stock trim does not transfer or hold steady power for squat. Better tires will help, but ultimately needs the suspension tailored for putting down decent power.
Cool story, but can you give any examples of a blown GT that doesn’t spin on 1st or 2nd gear with Street tires? Love to see what suspension mods make this possible.

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
There’s isn’t a street tire that’s going to hook a 600+whp fi setup lead footing. Throttle modulation is the biggest determining factor weather you’ll be spinning or hazing/partially hooking, regardless of brand. The mp4s is a great tire for dry/rain and it’s what I’ll be putting on my car soon.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I went with MPSS because I needed a street tire that worked in the rain. From everything I've read, MPSS (or MP4S) are the best balance of performance/treadwear.

I can't hook if I just drop the pedal even at 60mph. Have to ease into it no matter what speed, but otherwise I think they do pretty well for the power level. My rears lasted me ~23k miles which is pretty good since they spin all the time. Fronts still look almost new. Unfortunately with this much power no tire or suspension mods will make you hook in 1st or probably even 2nd, you need AWD for that. :lol:

Sponsored

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
^ I was actually going to mentioned that. Nobody else here tried Continentals with FI?
[MENTION=13844]Brn N Rubr[/MENTION]

So your tires are 265's and your car can hook in all gears with 600ish hp?

I decided to make a little video to demonstrate them. Please bear with me since it’s my first video ever with commentary.

I give up on trying to embed the video. If someone wants to, please feel free.

Last edited:

BLSTOIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Cool story, but can you give any examples of a blown GT that doesn’t spin on 1st or 2nd gear with Street tires? Love to see what suspension mods make this possible.
Unless you're on a drag tire, these cars aren't gonna hook with an MT-82's crazy first gear ratio, especially with 3.73's. Buy BMR or Steeda's suspension catalog, get some R888R, PS4, Nt555R, etc, and hook all day in 2nd on the street

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Unless you're on a drag tire, these cars aren't gonna hook with an MT-82's crazy first gear ratio, especially with 3.73's. Buy BMR or Steeda's suspension catalog, get some R888R, PS4, Nt555R, etc, and hook all day in 2nd on the street
I’m thinking whether you have full Steeda or BMR suspension or not you’d be spinning through 1st and 2nd gear with Street tires. My reply was based on it being suggested that it’s not so much the tires that matter, that suspension mods was what it takes to eliminate the spinning. I’m betting you could throw the full BMR or Steeeda catalog on a blown GT and it would still spin through 1st and 2nd on Street tires. Conversely, I’m betting a set of drag radials would make 2nd gear more useful and that there aren’t any suspension mods you could do that would increase grip like a set of drag radials would offer. The weight and chassis design of the mustang is made to spin tires once boosted.

Pincushin3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Paxton GT
With 600+ whp 2nd is all you will get on the street with that size tire, I do a ton of racing strictly on the street & without prep my Mickey Thompson SS (285/40/18) still spin first gear on the streets. We spray compound on the back roads we run on & thats the only time my MT SS will dead hook 1st gear. That's on 15lbs or lower, auto car, 3.15 gears & BMR drag springs.

Brn N Rubr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
See my video above......I don’t have any of what you listed and hook just fine in second.

Sponsored

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ the video doesn't work .... What did you name it on YouTube I'll search and post.

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's your video:

[ame]

I'm glad to hear they are sticking with FI. I have Continentals DW Extreme Sports 265's all around . I'm hoping I will not have to buy new wheels to achieve same results lol.

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I suppose I could have been more clear, "I listed the pictures of some tires that I would consider buying for my next set. I am not going to buy the drag radials since I believe the wet performance is horrible."

Let me rephrase that, I am not going to buy the drag radials I listed since I believe the wet performance is horrible. I listed them anyways so people can still post their experience with them if they had them. What is your forward peak acceleration and what tires do you have?
I am only pulling .78g forward on my 15 GT auto convertible with whipple 3.625" puley no suspension mods, 20x10 SVE chrome wheels with 3015/30-20 Nitto 555 G2 street tires. First and a good chunk of second have to be throttle modulated but after that they hold on great. They are great in the wet and cold and even light snow - I don't drive this car on ice but I'm sure it's like every other RWD on ice. I use them for DD and I drive for MPG when I'm not enjoying the forward power of getting up to speed.

That is strictly Texas grooved concrete roads not a prepped racetrack. That whipple will blow the tires in 1st and 2nd if you smack the gas - with great torque comes great traction needs.

I'm not wanting to run DR's either so I have to make the choice of running G2's that get lots of miles for daily driving or DR's that will pass their prime in a few thousand miles so I can hook for some random unexpected encounter or spirited launch on a street somewhere.

If you have cash to burn then DR's all day. I'm hoping to get a set as take offs but I know once I drive on them once I'll want to run DR's all the time.

Just my two cents. That dash timer we get doesn't usually mesh up with timeslips but it's in the ballpark for the most part. It's saying I'm getting between 2.1 and 2.4 60' times and I bet it's pretty close. I'm not even WOT until the end of second.

Not sure if that helps - but Nitto 555 G2's 305/30-20 is my most recent experience - I also had them in 275/40-19 on my PP wheels last 15 GT - same story (that one was ProCharged)

My take away after building 2 FI'd 2015 GT's is this -

1st and 2nd gear on street tires is just wasting time waiting for 3rd gear.
Then it's ugly fast.

I can't wait to see what all this power feels like on bias ply or DR's one day. I bet it's ridiculous.

OP
OP
Mustang_Owner

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Thanks for the video and advice. I am hoping that even though the built in dash timer is wrong that the forward acceleration of G-Force is the same for all model Mustangs. If the built in G-force meter is consistent, then we have an accurate way to measure tire A acceleration performance vs tire B. If using rear tire A (please post your tire size and model) gets a G-Force of 0.90 on virgin asphalt and rear tire B gets a G-Force of 1.02 on virgin asphalt (with the same tire size), I'm going to try tire B unless it has no grooves (smooth rubber) and therefore will fishtail my car into a ditch in any wet conditions. This somewhat assumes the tire pressure is around the same and temperatures can be compared. My 0.90 grip was obtained starting at 0 MPH in 1st gear at 90 deg F with 325/30R19 MPSS at 35 PSI. I really want tire B to also last me at least 5000 miles (ideally 10K) and found DR tires seem to last less than that. If you can post your forward G-force and what rear tires/size you have, I think it is somewhat an accurate way to compare tires. Thanks!

Last edited:

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you asking the owner of the video for tire sizes/G force? If so I think he's stated he's running factory PP sizes . If I'm not mistaken that should be 255/40/R19 Fronts and 275/40/R19 rear.

As far as the Gforce I'll leave that for him
Sponsored