Sponsored

V6 Grille mod

1stmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang fastback
I'm not really sure if this belongs here or not but I noticed that the Grille has solid plastic in the grille covering the air intake for the engine. I think I've seen other types of grills that either have an open space or honeycomb in that area. I would assume that nothing or a honeycomb would be better for air intake temps than solid plastic blocking air from going directly into the engine air intake.

Would there be any real hazard to drilling out all the little indentations seen in the below image? Would it make any real difference with air intake temperatures? I guess little tiny particles would be more likely go get sucked in but would that be of any real world concern?

https://imgur.com/a/amAZr
Sponsored

OP
OP

1stmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang fastback
Would cause no concern. Intake temps will decrease but not by much. The cover is only there for better aero and fuel economy. I drilled small holes in mine
When you say you drilled small holes in yours, do you mean like you drilled holes in the indentations in the pic I posted? How does blocking air from going directly into the intake create better aero? I would think having a solid relatively flat surface would be the most un-aerodynamic thing possible and you would be helping it by drilling the holes. That said, if doing this would have 0 impact on my 0-60 then I might as well not do it.

Also, how many horses do you have in your twin turbo v6? What is your fuel economy like and how fast is your 0-60?

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
I just drilled 5/8 inch hole in the center of three indents closest to the areas that are cutout from factory. may take the Dremel to a couple of them but haven't yet

Sponsored

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I was really bothered by the different style upper and lower grills on the v6. I opted for the Dusold Designs upper and lower grills as they match and give it a more aggressive look. Not cheap, you can do it your self with kits cheaper. I also did the Velosa Big Mouth at the same time as it will never be easier.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I put a GT upper and lower on mine, sanded out the opening and put a velossatech big mouth in. I do notice intake temps are slightly lower, but heat up if the car is not moving or shut off for a period of time (obviously). But they certainly seem to drop quicker now. It also may be placebo, but it certainly feels like it pulls harder while on the freeway. Allowing an engine the breath better always seems like a good idea to me.

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
When you say you drilled small holes in yours, do you mean like you drilled holes in the indentations in the pic I posted? How does blocking air from going directly into the intake create better aero? I would think having a solid relatively flat surface would be the most un-aerodynamic thing possible and you would be helping it by drilling the holes. That said, if doing this would have 0 impact on my 0-60 then I might as well not do it.

Also, how many horses do you have in your twin turbo v6? What is your fuel economy like and how fast is your 0-60?
Yes, I drilled the holes in the parts of the honeycomb grille that is solid. It is counter intuitive that a covered grille would have better aero, but look at most drag cars, they do this. Easy way to think about it is that when the air enters the grille and engine bay, it essentially creates more drag, opposed to the air going around the grille and streamlining across the car. I do not think you will notice a difference of intake temps or aero by doing this mod. I only did it because that's where my air filters are placed now for the twin turbos.

My car made 410whp/470wtq on E85 and 330whp/350wtq on 93. I get about 15 combined mpg on E85 and 22 combined mpg on 93. I have not been able to get a successful 0-60 time due to crappy all season tires not hooking up from all the torque :doh:

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
I'm not really sure if this belongs here or not but I noticed that the Grille has solid plastic in the grille covering the air intake for the engine. I think I've seen other types of grills that either have an open space or honeycomb in that area. I would assume that nothing or a honeycomb would be better for air intake temps than solid plastic blocking air from going directly into the engine air intake.

Would there be any real hazard to drilling out all the little indentations seen in the below image? Would it make any real difference with air intake temperatures? I guess little tiny particles would be more likely go get sucked in but would that be of any real world concern?

https://imgur.com/a/amAZr
I drilled all the blocked plastic and filed it smooth 2 1/2 years ago.
Sponsored