Concept: Eaton M90 supercharged V6

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
A company called GP Headers. I have seen some of their work first hand and was very impressed. Hoping to get the headers made from 321 stainless. As far as dimensions go, my only requirement for this is that they keep the turbo in the same location as OEM. Other then that they have free reign on how to route the pipes.

As a question, are their any interference issues between the turbos and the engine? It looks like the passsenger side water pipe might have to be moved but I’m not sure. It should fit just like the 3.5 does since the 3.7 is basically the same engine in terms of exterior dimensions.
If the turbos will remain in the stock location, I would be interested in some better flowing headers. Assuming pricing is not ridiculous.

By water pipe, do you mean part of the AC lines? That is the only thing I can think of that interfered with the turbo on the passenger side. Part of it was rubbing on the stock BOV port of the turbo. I fixed this by zip tying the line to the body and now it has about 1" of clearance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
If the turbos will remain in the stock location, I would be interested in some better flowing headers. Assuming pricing is not ridiculous.

By water pipe, do you mean part of the AC lines? That is the only thing I can think of that interfered with the turbo on the passenger side. Part of it was rubbing on the stock BOV port of the turbo. I fixed this by zip tying the line to the body and now it has about 1" of clearance.
I am referring to the hot water return line from the heater core to the overflow tank. That is the only thing I can see being in the way. Nice to have confirmation though that everything else fits.

A quote I received at the end of August states $475 per header in 321 stainless I believe. I have to contact them again for a revised quote and instructions on where to send in the F150 manifolds so I will keep you updated.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Will having the stock catted downpipes hinder any gains from the custom headers with the eco turbos? I live in a state where you have to meet California standard emissions. That and I heard high flow cats are a waste of money.
The stock downpipes will likely rob you of power more for the fact that they are 2.25”. I can’t talk specifically about emissions since I do not have to deal with them here in southern Maryland but I would look into the flow master high flow cats. I have run them before with good results.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
i mean....doing the eco turbo setup is cool, but with the amount of fab and work your doing...just do a single turbo setup using stock manifolds or shorty headers....and youll make more power with a properly sized single. I think id be interested in the eco setup if it cost me like 2-3k total...but its not...it ends up being more.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
i mean....doing the eco turbo setup is cool, but with the amount of fab and work your doing...just do a single turbo setup using stock manifolds or shorty headers....and youll make more power with a properly sized single. I think id be interested in the eco setup if it cost me like 2-3k total...but its not...it ends up being more.
I am expecting that my total bill will be around $2k and less then $3k including the tune. While true that a single will make more power, the benefit with the eco turbos are they they are designed to fit our block (3.5 and 3.7 share the same overall block). That means that as long as the turbos are mounted in stock locations then the oem oil and coolant lines should line up perfectly. I have checked the block and the ports are there with threaded plugs in them now. I would just have to modify for the oil return and modify for the coolant return as the 3.5 uses a different intake manifold. The only fabrication I will be doing is the exhaust system and FMIC mounting. Charge pipes I plan on using “flexable” pressure tubing to make it easier to route around things in the engine bay.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Looking forward to your project! Im certainly not apposed to it..if i could do it cheaply

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Can any of you guys tell me how LKQ searches work. So far I've tried using their inventory search with my zip code and it never finds anything. It finds my local LKQ but that is about it. I was hoping to get a feel on local pricing for the parts I need via the list from SSM.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Can any of you guys tell me how LKQ searches work. So far I've tried using their inventory search with my zip code and it never finds anything. It finds my local LKQ but that is about it. I was hoping to get a feel on local pricing for the parts I need via the list from SSM.
https://www.lkqonline.com/

Did you create an account? It's free. Then you can search my make / model / etc. Then you can sort by price / distance from your location etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well just as a heads up. My FI build is getting put on hold until after the holidays as the earliest...

On a side note though, I measured hood clearance today with the BMR motor mounts. My assumption was correct in that there is no chance of fitting an M90 under the stock hood even with the .5" drop of the BMR mounts. So if after the holidays I decide to attempt the roots supercharger over the turbos I will need a new hood.... Sounds like a good Christmas present! :clap2::lol:

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Zack posted that a couple of pages back. I wonder if they can close the hood.
The 14s had a bit more hood clearance then the S550 but I still doubt that thing fit under the hood.

Depending on if/when I get a new hood I might still try the supercharger setup before moving to turbos as I believe I can get a "proof of concept" design working for under $1.5K. Basically it would be a non intercooled 5 psi setup that might make an additional 25-50hp and some decent torque numbers. The goal would not be power but to prove that the setup works.

If I wanted to pursue this supercharger for power then I would need to recreate the lower intake manifold and incorporate an intercooler into the new design. That is the sticking point as machining costs for a custom lower intake makes it prohibitively expensive.
Sponsored