zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
BTW this was the inspiration for the project!

PS: non intercooled 5th Gen M90 at 7-8psi

[ame]
Sponsored

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
honestly, a shorter bodied supercharger would be too small for the displacement of your engine. A centri charger would be your best bet my friend.
Exactly what I do not want... I want the low end power capabilities of the roots style. The M90 is just about as large as I can go.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Just purchased an aluminum 3.5 cyclone lower intake manifold. I have been a little concerned about mounting an entire supercharger system to the stock plastic lower intake so this should alleviate those concerns. Another benefit to this intake manifold is that I can now relocate the water neck allowing me to gain access to the main accessory belt drive for use with driving the supercharger.

Edit: Well unfortunately that idea is gone... It looks as though the bolt pattern of the intakes are different which means it will not fit the 3.7. Damn...

Edit 2: Looks as though a 2015 3.5 composite manifold has the updated bolt pattern and the relocated water outlet. Will not get me the aluminum but will get me the relocated water neck.

Last edited:

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Definitely open minded towards all projects but why a roots-style that was used on a push-rod L67 from the 90's versus doing the Coyote swap or Procharger? My guess is to keep the price underneath the cost of a Procharger? I think hidden R&D costs might creep up on you there. Packaging and hood clearance might be a concern (for those who don't want an even taller hood). Turbo is another good option where you can emulate v8 torque but I can see why you don't want to go turbo as progress for that is still in the early stages for reliable DD. If money isn't an issue I would just use a Coyote with the F150 plenum (which looked like your original plan) if reliable torque is what you're looking for. Though if you are set on it and want to do something different do it up. :thumbsup: Either way definitely find a goal and stick to it or you'll have a perpetual project (been there done that).:headbonk:

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Definitely open minded towards all projects but why a roots-style that was used on a push-rod L67 from the 90's versus doing the Coyote swap or Procharger? My guess is to keep the price underneath the cost of a Procharger? I think hidden R&D costs might creep up on you there. Packaging and hood clearance might be a concern (for those who don't want an even taller hood). Turbo is another good option where you can emulate v8 torque but I can see why you don't want to go turbo as progress for that is still in the early stages for reliable DD. If money isn't an issue I would just use a Coyote with the F150 plenum (which looked like your original plan) if reliable torque is what you're looking for. Though if you are set on it and want to do something different do it up. :thumbsup: Either way definitely find a goal and stick to it or you'll have a perpetual project (been there done that).:headbonk:
I agree with the perpetual project.... I have had so many ideas for what I wanted to do to my car for awhile now and I am trying to settle on one idea and move forward. Basically I want something unique which this project would certainly classify as and I have always wanted that eaton supercharger whine...

The coyote swap was the direction I was going towards but after pricing out everything required (its the little parts that add up) it would have been about as expensive as the procharger system and I would have ended up with basically a stock coyote. The procharger system is great but I have just never liked centrifugal superchargers (how they sound, how the deliver boost, etc...)

Turbo options are still early in development and are very involved installs. Oil return lines is what killed that idea since I would have to pull the engine (or pretty damn close) in order to remove the oil pan to drill return line holes. A scavenge pump is not worth it either as a decent one that is not crazy loud is almost $400 and there would be no guarantee that it will continue to work for a long time.

The eaton superchargers are a tried and true method of boost and the GM M90 is by far the most abundant and cheap. I would prefer something like a roush M90 but those are very rare and will have to have extensive modifications in order to decrease its height. Twin screws would also be an option if they were not so expensive for not as much benefit as people might think. There is a benefit to using them yes but I do not think that benefit merits a 10 fold price increase.

If I can sort out the lower intake manifold I believe I will be moving forward with the project. Either way I am still getting the hood as I have always loved that hood! It is not much higher if at all then the stock hood if you take into account the ridges on the stock hood. What it does do is remove the internal bracing and raise the center up to the OEM ridge height which should create the space where I need it without raising the entire hood surface.

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I agree with the perpetual project.... I have had so many ideas for what I wanted to do to my car for awhile now and I am trying to settle on one idea and move forward. Basically I want something unique which this project would certainly classify as and I have always wanted that eaton supercharger whine...

The coyote swap was the direction I was going towards but after pricing out everything required (its the little parts that add up) it would have been about as expensive as the procharger system and I would have ended up with basically a stock coyote. The procharger system is great but I have just never liked centrifugal superchargers (how they sound, how the deliver boost, etc...)

Turbo options are still early in development and are very involved installs. Oil return lines is what killed that idea since I would have to pull the engine (or pretty damn close) in order to remove the oil pan to drill return line holes. A scavenge pump is not worth it either as a decent one that is not crazy loud is almost $400 and there would be no guarantee that it will continue to work for a long time.

The eaton superchargers are a tried and true method of boost and the GM M90 is by far the most abundant and cheap. I would prefer something like a roush M90 but those are very rare and will have to have extensive modifications in order to decrease its height. Twin screws would also be an option if they were not so expensive for not as much benefit as people might think. There is a benefit to using them yes but I do not think that benefit merits a 10 fold price increase.

If I can sort out the lower intake manifold I believe I will be moving forward with the project. Either way I am still getting the hood as I have always loved that hood! It is not much higher if at all then the stock hood if you take into account the ridges on the stock hood. What it does do is remove the internal bracing and raise the center up to the OEM ridge height which should create the space where I need it without raising the entire hood surface.
They do sound good, there's no denying that. I agree with you on the state of turbo-progress for the time being. Definitely too involved considering the similarities of the 3.5 and 3.7. While there are a couple of quick boosted 3.7s, I haven't been impressed with the performance in some of the videos I've seen them in considering the money and time spent. Supercharging seems to be the balance king for these engines so far. Well if you can make a kit that has ease of install like that video good on-ya. There is also the M62 which is the baby version of the M90 used on the Nissan VG33ER.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
You can pulley the M90 gen5 SC off the grand prixs down to like 2.8 without turning the snout.

I had a cammed e85 gen5 2.8 pulley GTP that made 330whp and 400wtq in a 1999 GTP coupe.

Them Gen5s sound badass pullied down to 2.8 :headbang:

I got sick of the 4T65glass transmissions and decided to buy my 16 5.0.

Anyone see a kit for these on the new 3.7 V6?

http://www.departmentofboost.com/products/index.htm

makes kits to use the MP112s of TVS blowers off the gt500s on the coyotes and modular 4.6s too.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Really now, almost the same price as a prochager. I would have thought it would have been more expensive. I was thinking that my budget for prochager is about 8k-10k. If that is more or less enough I might just do that stock motor et al...

BTW yes Whipple whine is better than prochager whine. But both sound good to me.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Really now, almost the same price as a prochager. I would have thought it would have been more expensive. I was thinking that my budget for prochager is about 8k-10k. If that is more or less enough I might just do that stock motor et al...

BTW yes Whipple whine is better than prochager whine. But both sound good to me.
If you went with an F150 coyote and did the isntall yourself the price would be around the $4.5-5k mark. That is also not including any suspension mods and brakes that would likely be not required but useful. Another reason why I decided against this is that I actually test drove a GT and wasn't all that impressed.... It felt heavy on the nose and not that much more powerful than the 6 in everyday driving. Now when you stomp on it you certainly feel a difference but I want that low end power.

I hope to complete this setup for $2-3k including the hood.

Sponsored

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Your better off with a direct fit procharger kit. I made 360 rwtq and 454 rwhp. Thats more then you will get from an m90 and it will run 100 degrees cooler and be very reliable.

OP
OP
zackmd1

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Your better off with a direct fit procharger kit. I made 360 rwtq and 454 rwhp. Thats more then you will get from an m90 and it will run 100 degrees cooler and be very reliable.
The procharger kit to me is just not worth it at almost $6k. At that price point I will just purchase a coyote and have more of an upgrade path.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
BTW this was the inspiration for the project!

I had this exact setup on my first V6 mustang. My 2005 Sliver Bomber! greatest car I ever owned. back then Polar Express was selling those kits in the 2500 range....then American Muscle came along and jacked the prices by over 1500. I don't care what people are saying about the M90. that thing was a blast to drive. if you could create a doable kit for cars I will be all on board to emulate. Even an even 100hp would be worth the go.

Last edited:

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Funny, I was daydreaming about this exact concept just yesterday :D

Although used M90's are cheap enough, I'm not certain it has the airflow capacity to make a big enough difference on our 3.7 to be worth the cost and effort of such a project. I'm not trying to talk the OP out of this, just mentioning my own opinion on the subject, and I may be wrong on the airflow issue so if someone knows for a fact that the M90 can make decent boost on the 3.7 above 3k rpm (which is where these engines really wake up) I'd like to hear about it.

Now, the M112 from the '03 Cobra was pushing enough air through the intercooler to make 390hp from a 4.6L that was rated at 300hp in NA form, which seems pretty well suited for boosting our 300hp V6, and I've seen it for sale fairly cheap as well, but without knowing the dimensions on that blower I can only guess if it can be made to fit.

I like the idea of swapping in a complete 3.5 Ecoboost engine, even with a horribly restrictive exhaust, undersized turbos and the smallest exhaust manifolds I've seen it still manages 420 ft lb factory stock, so there's a lot of potential waiting to be tapped here.

Then I figured as long as I'm daydreaming, if I did a V8 swap I'd like to go with the 5.8L aluminum block, top it with street ported coyote heads and Comp Cams CR cam set then use the MMR gen-x timing set and a sheet metal intake manifold to run it off a 2015 coyote PCM. I figure this should make some serious low end grunt, only issue is the $20k to build it! LOL