Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for! Well.... not all.

I just got done bolting up a stock GT catback exhaust to my V6. It was pretty straight forward, since everything just unbolts, then bolts back up. The only tricky part was doing it all on ramps, by myself. Nonetheless, it is done and the aged question of "how would the GT exhaust sound on a V6" has been answered.

My first impressions are that there's a noticeable increase in bass while the engine lobes. Once it's warmed up it's pretty quiet, but there's still some extra bass as it idles. On the higher RPM rev's (to 4k, I only have 530 miles on her, she's still breaking in!) I heard no rasp or rattling.

All in all, for what ended up being a free (shoutout goes to user "strengthrehab") upgrade, I'm quite happy with it.

Here's a better quality video I just threw together. Unfortunately there's still a fair amount of background noises and wind (It's pretty stormy here in Ohio lately). Hope you like it as much as I am so far!

[ame]

I've gone through and collected video's that other users have posted. Keep in mind that no video will capture the exact sound of this setup. (if you would like your video removed or added, please let me know)

Courtesy of Guard051A

[ame]
[ame]

Brief installation of BBK headers and exhaust sound
[ame]

Interior driving w/ BBK shorty headers
[ame]

Courtesy of X0AYHAM0X

Mustang 2015 V6 X-pipe W/ Stock GT Mufflers cold start and drive by
[ame]
[ame]

Mustang 2015 V6 H-pipe W/ GT Stock Mufflers\
[ame]
[ame]

Courtesy of Redline Engineering

Stock V6 exhaust vs. Stock GT Exhaust
[ame]

Courtesy of markbento

[ame]

-----Installation Tips------
Here's what I did to install the GT exhaust on my car. Perform this install at your own risk. It is your choice to perform the exhaust swap, and your choice only. If something goes wrong, I cannot be held responsible. Remember to be safe and aware of your surroundings.

1. I backed my rear tires onto ramps.
- Safety 1st. Set the parking brake, put the car in gear and blocks in front of my front tires.
- Jacks will work fine too.

2. Unbolted all 4 exhaust hangers, then put the exhaust hanger bolts in so I would put the same bolt back in place later.
- These hangers hook into the body, unbolting all of them allows the pipe to move around.

3. Unbolt the 4 bolts on the OEM clamp between the exhaust and flex pipes.

4. Wiggle, pull, do whatever needed to get the stock exhaust out of the clamp.

5. Lifted the middle hangers out of their hook-point carefully. Used muscles so the exhaust didn't fall on me.

6. Lifted the exhaust hangers out of their hook-point 1 at a time. Carefully lowered the exhaust onto cardboard.
- A jack could be helpful here.

7. Pull the stock exhaust out from under the car.

8. Take the OEM exhaust mounts off the stock exhaust and place them on the GT exhaust.
- These can be put on backwards. To avoid confusion, I suggest taking one off at a time and putting it on the GT exhaust.

9. Slide the GT exhaust under the car.
-I chose to put it on cardboard so it wouldn't scratch the exhaust of my floor.

10. I started at the rear and lifted each muffler up and hooked them to their hook-point

11. Lift the center exhaust mounts into their hook-points. Now the exhaust is essentially hung but can moved around.
- Do not bolt the mounts down until the exhaust is hooked up to the OEM clamp and bolted down.

12. Push the GT exhaust into the OEM clamp at the flex pipes. Tighten the clamps.

13. Tighten the exhaust mounts in the middle, then tighten the mounts for each muffler.

14. Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Sounds good. Glad we could help each other out.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Dang thats awesome!

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
This means that any catback meant to fit the stock gt cat pipes will fit our car. I have a sr gt x pipe on mine

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Yessir.

To anyone who wants a little more noise, and doesn't want to sacrifice their pipes. Look around your local chapter for a GT owner who doesn't want their old catback anymore. With a ratio of 3 GT's to 1 V6 out there, I bet anyone who wants this setup wouldn't have to look hard.

Sponsored

SBLee29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang V6 w/051a
I've literally been waiting on this lol. Maybe I'll pick one up this weekend

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
Just in case there's any member in AZ with a GT take off system they'd like to donate for a good cause, feel free to contact me!

Sounds good, would like to know if you have any notable drone at interstate speeds?

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I'll let you know once I take it on the freeway. Should be by this weekend. I'll try to get a video also.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hmmmm gets me wondering what aftermarket exhaust options that are designed for the GT (Corsa Extreme being the main one) will sound like on our sixxers.

Sponsored

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
Just in case there's any member in AZ with a GT take off system they'd like to donate for a good cause, feel free to contact me!

Sounds good, would like to know if you have any notable drone at interstate speeds?
If you feel like making a trip to Texas, you can have mine for free.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Sounds pretty nice. Notice any extra power? Should make a lil more with larger pipes and less restrictive mufflers

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I have noticed more power. This could be placebo, the K&N drop in filter you sold me, the engine breaking in more, or combination of the above.

It'll finally be a nice day here tomorrow, so I'll find out about freeway drone on my way to work.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Yeah, it will get better with more miles for sure

svtguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Vert
I can not wait to install mine! Luv the sound and the Gt tips:headbang.
I read somewhere an increase of 3-5 hp with the bigger dia
Sponsored