s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Anyone using the UPR or JLT oil catch cans? Which one would you guys recommend? They look pretty similar to me :shrug:
Sponsored

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a UPR on my Ecoboost. I like the fact that it comes with pre-cut lines with factory style quick connects on both ends.

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
I have jlt works like a champ and comes ready to go with factory connects to just click on and go

Sponsored

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
whats the good and bad of having a catch can vs not having one.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The good is it separates the oil out of the air flow from the PCV valve to the intake manifold. The bad is you have to periodically empty the can.

Why do you want to separate out the oil? Over time you will get build up in the intake manifold and on the valves that can hurt performance. It is especially important on direct injection engines like the Ecoboost where there is no fuel being sprayed on the back of the valves to help keep them clean.

Why don't the manufacturers put them on? In most cases they do have baffling that separates the oil from the air but they are not as effective as a well designed catch can. They don't use catch cans because they have to be emptied and there is no way to ensure people will.

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
The good is it separates the oil out of the air flow from the PCV valve to the intake manifold. The bad is you have to periodically empty the can.

Why do you want to separate out the oil? Over time you will get build up in the intake manifold and on the valves that can hurt performance. It is especially important on direct injection engines like the Ecoboost where there is no fuel being sprayed on the back of the valves to help keep them clean.

Why don't the manufacturers put them on? In most cases they do have baffling that separates the oil from the air but they are not as effective as a well designed catch can. They don't use catch cans because they have to be emptied and there is no way to ensure people will.
So its important to have it on the ecoboost, is it as beneficial on the V6? How high priority would you say a catch can is compared to other mods.

What happens if it fails or more important can it cause other components to fail. If the only reason they are not used is becaue of people possibly not emptying it seems like a no brainer

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I have only put them on my turbo cars. I usually put one on the clean side (line from valve cover to intake tube) too but the Ecoboost has a sensor in that line and I kept getting a check engine light. I wouldn't think it is a high priority thing for your v6.

There are no moving parts so the chance of one failing is extremely slim. If it did you would get a vacuum leak just like if the stock PCV line failed.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Intell you get one and install it you don't know how much oil is being forced into your intake after 2500 miles it fills up 1/3 of a can and I drive my stang hard keeping the RPM's high around 3000 grand in the city.

Sponsored

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Thanks guys, seems like its only beneficial to have one added. I guess ill be putting that on my list lf things to do.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I have the UPR, and it is amazing how much oil goes in there. I'd much rather empty the can than have the oil gunk up my manifold.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
It's the best $119.00 JLT silver you'll spend after you install it and see how much oil it traps you'll say holy bat s**t.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
yeah, I have the JLT, I don't trap tons, but more if Im making a lot of pulls.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Just reviving an old thread as I had put my car back to factory for a dealer oil change and AC work. I typically run a breather filter on the passenger side vs a catch can. I put around 200 miles on after getting it back from the dealer and today reinstalled the breather. I was blown away by the amount of oil at the manifold connection. It was a lot. For those that don't have a catch can or breather, You should disconnect at the manifold and see what yours is like.
Sponsored