s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I have a question about the impact of higher octane gas on a bolt on V6. I have a larger intake pipe, GT throttle body and GT exhaust currently on my car. I have run Shell 87 since it was new and just filled up my tank today with Shell 93. I understand the basics of octane and the purpose of running higher octane. I know our engines are considered “smart” in that they can approximate the octane based on the knock sensors and how far it can advance the timing.

My question is, will I net more of an increase in hp or tq from my engine that sees slightly higher air flow than stock by running 93? I know the performance increase of 93 is marginal over 87 when running a stock tune and stock engine, I am just wondering if the better breathing will contribute to more of an increase.

My basis for asking is when I was driving home from the gas station making a right turn from a stop I inadvertently spun my wheels with no more throttle input than usual. Can this be contributed to the octane? I don’t know what else could have played a factor as all other variables were constant. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
AM did do a no tune for 87 vs 93 dyno and it didn't gain much. As for just putting the same amount of throttle is subjective. You may feel that you put the same but unless it is measured there will be variances in the amount you put. That doesn't mean it didn't happen though. I put a ported TB on mine and it felt a bit more peppy at various partial throttle inputs (not WOT).

I vote placebo effect or excitement.

OP
OP
s550v6

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
AM did do a no tune for 87 vs 93 dyno and it didn't gain much. As for just putting the same amount of throttle is subjective. You may feel that you put the same but unless it is measured there will be variances in the amount you put. That doesn't mean it didn't happen though. I put a ported TB on mine and it felt a bit more peppy at various partial throttle inputs (not WOT).

I vote placebo effect or excitement.
I have to agree with you on that. Probably just some confirmatory sampling done on my end. :headbonk: The tune seems necessary to get anything out of increased octane.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my '17 and I haven't had time to research (if the data is even out there) how Ford Programs these cars - but I know Honda actually dynos / programs engines on low octane, middle octane and high octane in regards to spark advance and timing and of course knock control. Which means that in the Honda world, you can actually gain HP on the dyno with an increase in Octane.

I normally run at least mid grade and will likely run 87 and 91 in my '17 to see the difference in fuel mileage and when I start datalogging - hopefully looking at knock counts and timing.

Every car / environment / drive is different. I've seen some non high performance cars actually increase fuel economy enough (using higher octane fuel) to justify the extra $ at the pump.
Sponsored