BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that what they did with the 350?

With all due respect, if this car is just a SC V8, I'm gonna nod and yawn, no matter what the power output is.

The sweetness of the FPC was the balls to have the idea and then the brass balls to engineer and produce it. It's a true engineering marvel. How many American FPC v8's have been produced since the 1940's?

How many American SC v8's have been produced since 2000?

How many American TT v8's have been produced since ever?

Basically, if the GT500 is a SC car, I'm out. Hopefully there'll be a NA B429.
New fenders and hood (which is what's different for the GT350 sheetmetal) =/= new dash stampings, new front tower stampings, K-members and new transmission tunnel/underbody.

For a truly special car, I think you bought the right one, IMO. This thing is going to be an absolute beast and will decimate roads and other cars, and then take you home as if nothing ever happened (like GT-R, 911 Turbo). Would I choose one over a GT350R? Nope. Never. But that's just because of the types of attributes that I prefer.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Agree, but they did go out of the box. You own that car. This is a bandaid until the s650. I just think they got behind the ball on this one. I would have sworn up and down that they would have predesigned the car for a TT, knowing the 50th was coming and following their ecoboost theme. :(

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agree, but they did go out of the box. You own that car. This is a bandaid until the s650. I just think they got behind the ball on this one. I would have sworn up and down that they would have predesigned the car for a TT, knowing the 50th was coming and following their ecoboost theme. :(
I agree and I thought TT was going to happen as well. But then I also thought we would at least have had a reveal by now. I still don't understand why they are taking so long to move forward.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
New fenders and hood (which is what's different for the GT350 sheetmetal) =/= new dash stampings, new front tower stampings, K-members and new transmission tunnel/underbody.

For a truly special car, I think you bought the right one, IMO. This thing is going to be an absolute beast and will decimate roads and other cars, and then take you home as if nothing ever happened (like GT-R, 911 Turbo). Would I choose one over a GT350R? Nope. Never. But that's just because of the types of attributes that I prefer.
Any chance they incorporate rear wheel steering into the car?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
On the twin turbo application...I wouldn't mind a special twin turbo engine (more than just some stupid Coyote + turbos. So glad the "Coyote ecoboost" bullshit died) but the question remains yet again: just where the hell are you going to put them? The aftermarket has it easier because they eliminate cats and run plumbing and headers however they want. The OEM's need to deal with emissions packaging challenges. Running down the engine and transmission tunnel, there is absolutely zero room for snails AND catalytic converters.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
On the twin turbo application...I wouldn't mind a special twin turbo engine (more than just some stupid Coyote + turbos. So glad the "Coyote ecoboost" bullshit died) but the question remains yet again: just where the hell are you going to put them? The aftermarket has it easier because they eliminate cats and run plumbing and headers however they want. The OEM's need to deal with emissions packaging challenges. Running down the engine and transmission tunnel, there is absolutely zero room for snails AND catalytic converters.
That's why factory is so much better than aftermarket. You DESIGN room. A top member del doesn't have to share exactly everything with the lesser models.

It's all about what Ford wants to do. After testing an ecoboost v8 and an SC V8, whichever won the balancing act of pros vs cons.

We will learn soon enough which one made it.

But "not enough room" or "packaging issues" aren't a problem.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Just a thought, but why not both? I do not have any inside info, but I've always had the feeling it would be SC and TT. Small SC for low end until the larger Turbos spool up. That could generate a nice flat torque curve from down low all the way up to redline. SC leaves the picture by 2500 or so...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's why factory is so much better than aftermarket. You DESIGN room. A top member del doesn't have to share exactly everything with the lesser models.

It's all about what Ford wants to do. After testing an ecoboost v8 and an SC V8, whichever won the balancing act of pros vs cons.

We will learn soon enough which one made it.

But "not enough room" or "packaging issues" aren't a problem.
Well, solutions to "packaging issues" can be a problem. If they're too expensive to justify, it kills the concept.

Tooling new body stampings are tens of millions of dollars each, not counting all the assembly tooling and line complexity dollars (more millions) plus all the (re)validation required (crash tests, specifically).

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hear there is another easter egg shot of the dash. 9.87 @ 135. Thats beastly if true
Especially without DRs.
Car should be able to corner well too.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I hear there is another easter egg shot of the dash. 9.87 @ 135. Thats beastly if true
Especially without DRs.
Car should be able to corner well too.
That would make me want to part with my R.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I still laugh when people say "ecoboost V8." There is nothing eco about a V8. Ford's market strategy would never allow it. We out of all people should know better than to use that moniker.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well, solutions to "packaging issues" can be a problem. If they're too expensive to justify, it kills the concept.

Tooling new body stampings are tens of millions of dollars each, not counting all the assembly tooling and line complexity dollars (more millions) plus all the (re)validation required (crash tests, specifically).
That's why there is debate between pros and cons.

And if the gt350!can justify its own engine PLUS customer body parts...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's why there is debate between pros and cons.

And if the gt350!can justify its own engine PLUS customer body parts...
You'd be amazed at how much it cost to do that engine vs. what it would cost to retool and validate all those parts. Ford couldn't have done it (at anywhere near the MSRP they have) without having the Coyote as base for almost everything. Hood and fenders are cheap and only semi-structural.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This thing is going to be an absolute beast and will decimate roads and other cars, and then take you home as if nothing ever happened (like GT-R, 911 Turbo). Would I choose one over a GT350R? Nope. Never. But that's just because of the types of attributes that I prefer.
So more ZL1 vs GT350R?
Sponsored