Sponsored

[New Spy Pics 4/12]: 2015 Mustang s550 Prototype Now With Covered Production Body?

tslim

The 2015 is supposed to be significantly changed, so I can only imagine that this is a disguised mule made up of God knows what. A previous poster said the profile looked like the current car which I agree in - in fact the rear window does not even look as "fast" as the roof of the current car. Isn't it a good guess that new Mustang will be even slicker, especially at the front and rear, in order to gain an mpg or two? I'd expect a much faster roof... and no "notchback" edition.
Yea it looks like a mess and its s197 but why would it have a "faster" rear window or roof if is using the old body?
Sponsored

KZStang

I've spent a lot of time in Dearborn over the years... there are certain places where these things can be found, and then there are a couple of locations not immediately in town. One of my favorite locations was the boneyard for mules - stuff that wasn't current, but had been thrown to the side. Unbelievably, it was almost right out in the open. I once found a Lincoln LS with a strut front suspension there (aka mule for the S195), and an Explorer with coilovers all around (aka mule for the post-2001 generation). Seeing this kind of stuff is fascinating.
That is hardcore. Did you used to take spy photos or there purely out of interest? I always wonder if some of that stuff is left out intentionally but if you spotted a legit S195 mule then it must not have been. I guess they figure no one is crazy enough to go sift through the mule boneyard, and they would be wrong :)

A picture of an S550 is probably the hottest picture to be had in Michigan right now, since the Corvette has come out. You can bet a lot of people are all over it.
Which amazes me even more that no one has gotten a solid shot of anything but a mule with a camo'd nose. Wonder what the going bounty is right now for a shot of the S550 unicorn.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
No, that wasn't my job. BTW, the mule boneyard was wide open with no gate. It was a regular parking lot. Too bad it was moved about 10 years ago.

If there isn't a real S550 built yet, it will be soon. It's getting to be time to order the production tooling for the hard parts. Certainly many different vendors are heavily involved with creating a lot of them (here, BTW, is who built the IRS last time: http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/se...atform-sn95/1999-cobra/suppliers/benteler.jpg).

Vickstang

No, that wasn't my job. BTW, the mule boneyard was wide open with no gate. It was a regular parking lot. Too bad it was moved about 10 years ago.

If there isn't a real S550 built yet, it will be soon. It's getting to be time to order the production tooling for the hard parts. Certainly many different vendors are heavily involved with creating a lot of them (here, BTW, is who built the IRS last time: http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/se...atform-sn95/1999-cobra/suppliers/benteler.jpg).
Maybe one of those vendors will leak diagrams or pics on accident :D "It's getting to be time to order" assumes production will start when for the s550?

KC_Drifter

It does look like it was wrecked,..front bumper is sitting on floor looks like

This may just be my drunk as talking but why someone doesnt just fly a helicopter or some over the GM testing grounds to photo some of the mules and protytypes over there. Same with Ford in Dearborn. One way to bypass the security. It's the hottest ticket in town so would be worth the $$ i think.
There's security all over the place I'm sure and risking life and limb and all that $ for a top down view of a camo'd mule prolly just doesnt seem worth it. :D

Sponsored

OKCfan

There's security all over the place I'm sure and risking life and limb and all that $ for a top down view of a camo'd mule prolly just doesnt seem worth it. :D
Yah and sure these 'proving grounds' places for each manufacturer must have some restricted airspace regulation or law. If not, anyone got a RC helicopter we can use?

pistolpete

I think we're all making too much of that latest picture... that thing was a mess and because they build different mules with different levels of the final product in it, it's impossible to tell what it's purpose was. It was a mess.. maybe it's even been crashed :shrug:

At some point they'll get out of the couple of mules at a time business, and start limited offsite pseudo-production of hand-built prototypes. Using temporary (soft) stampings for all the major panels. That's when the final shape will be apparent. If somebody catches one on film, that is.
People are making too much of the pics and at same time also too dismissive of it. It could have been testing any number of things -- engine, suspension, tranny, internal components, wheels... sure, it looked like a S197 chassis but it also could've had a new engine in the bay and like someone else mentioned, who knows if it was really testing different brake positions? Point is, we dont know. Maybe it wasn't a S550, but also dont assume it was a S197.

Mustangjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base
I don't think it's a concept. I read somewhere that this is Fords way to mess with the media. Honestly it looks like a 2013 with the doors and bumpers missing. It also sits high in the front so it probably has no powertrain (engine and trans). It's a mule but it could be hiding the new interior

As much as I can't wait to see the new mustang I think it won't be until after June that we see a full concept

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
It's not a concept at all, it's a mule. There are many of those mules being built, only a very few of which somebody will be lucky enough to catch outdoors. And no doubt they aren't all in Dearborn either... some may be in Europe. And some day a small scale production like will start up to test the production tooling and procedures, not at Flat Rock but at some nearby warehouse. Then these the real thing will start to appear in great quantity. Then they'll move it to pilot status in Round Rock and even more will be built.

If we see an actual 2015 Mustang concept built at all, it likely won't show up until the January NAIAS or later. LA show in November is unlikely. The usual practice is to built a concept. Remember, though, Mustang sales are not doing too well, and if everyone is aware that an all-new model is coming soon, they will wait rather than make a terrible mistake (as I almost made once, when I test drove a brand new '78 Cobra on the lot, then went home and found a new Car and Driver had arrived with a spy pic and the complete story on the new '79 Mustang - damned good thing I was patient!).

And remember that the last major concepts that were built, for the S197, turned out to be a considerable delta above and beyond the S197 we actually ended up with.
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/se...types-showcars/mustang-gt-concept/default.htm
The concepts (two were made: a coupe and a convertible) used the full DEW98 chassis: all aluminum SLA and IRS. The actual production platform was dumbed down enormously, into ye olde chep strut and solid axle. It was very clear how much was lost between the concepts and the production chassis. The original intent was to use the DEW98 platform for a Mustang several years after it was released in 1998. The concepts showed us just how much we lost. I, BTW, had a long ongoing dialog with the person inside Ford who ran the team evaluating the use of the DEW98 for the Mustang.... there was an enormous debate about costs and if they could be spread around enough to keep the Mustang costs net-net the same. I call the DEW-98 "Ford's FM" platform (FM being the Infiniti/Nissan platform that creates everything form the 370Z to the Q60 to the FX50). Infiniti/Nissan has done a helluva job there and it ought to be a lesson to Ford.

Many people think the Mustang concepts looked considerably more handsome and modern (at least on the exterior) than the production cars - I am one of them. I hope the same thing doesn't happen again.

We have a great future of spy pictures to look forward too... I for one am saving my money because my poor Boss 302 is going to look like a covered wagon next to the 2015. An unfortunate fact of life of the car hobby.

KC_Drifter

Concepts don't have to take into consideration real world production concerns, assembly, and cost/price for consumers. It's meant to be showy and extreme. Take the evos for example - not a mustang concept, but the thing can only fit a v6 engine for christ sakes. Sure, the concept was fully driveable but since they dont have to worry about mass producing it, they can make all kinds of sacrifices in engine compartment when it's meant mostly for display. On the other hand you have concepts like the giugiaro that would easily cost in the 6 figures... carbon fiber body with lambo carbon doors and a special crystal glass roof..

I agree with you that the GT concepts in '03/04 were nicer than the actual production '05, particularly the silver one, but as you said they had to lower the '03 cobra engine just to fit the lower hood line of that concept. These are the kinds of special concessions they cant do profitably in mass production.

Sponsored

DarkAgent10

I don't think it's a concept. I read somewhere that this is Fords way to mess with the media. Honestly it looks like a 2013 with the doors and bumpers missing. It also sits high in the front so it probably has no powertrain (engine and trans). It's a mule but it could be hiding the new interior

As much as I can't wait to see the new mustang I think it won't be until after June that we see a full concept
Def looks like its riding high up front so its possible no engine inside but that could be bc the bumper is on the floor lol. I doubt the 4 cylinder would be so light that it would make the nose lift like that tho. Could be testing some interior components even.

KZStang

1.png

Check this out. I havent seen this version floating around anywhere with the "prototype" sitting on a flatbed. Definitely seems like this thing was never driven and probably no engine inside. A side by side comparison looks like everything is the same except for something dangling in the rearview mirror in the above pic.

Strange is how they managed to get it on and off with the wheels in the same exact position in both sets of pictures. Was this a PS job or is it too early and I need a cup of coffee ??? :headbonk:
pre-pshopmustang.jpg

MustangMarine

I don't think we can know if it has an engine or not just from being on the flatbed, but that is weird how it's in the exact same wheel position as the other pics. Doesn't look like a photoshop.

Boydstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium DIB

Bottom one is Photoshopped! check out the front wheel, the front bungee cords holding the camo don't even match up on the bottom of the wheel.
It was definitely sitting on the flat bad truck.

JackHoya

Hmm interesting....... it's hard to deny the cords on the bottom pic look off. I just have no idea why anyone would photoshop this. It reveals almost nothing and was supposedly taken by spy photo legend Jim Dunne.
Sponsored