Sponsored

Odd question about cylinder head temp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Based on a couple of poorly-controlled experiments, it seems to me that when my car is cruising on the highway, turning *off* the air conditioner seems to cause the cylinder head temp readout to rise on that center dashboard display. Turning the AC back on again causes it to go back down again.

Normally with the AC on in FL, I see around 185 degrees. With the AC off, it usually hits 200-205. My car is 100% stock with about 9k miles on it.

Am I just losing my mind, or is that the way it should be? In case it weren't obvious, I'm not terribly familiar with the finer details of car engines.
Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
The AC turns the fans on.

Turbo Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP
The fans only run when they need to, not all the time. 200 to 205 isn't bad. Nothing to worry about.

spireland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Former 2015 EB Premium PP
I'm in Northern California and I see around 187-189 most of the time, though occasionally it spikes to 205-210. Always weirds me out, though it still seems fine so I haven't really looked into it. Didn't think it could be tied to AC though.

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would definitely explain it, I just would have figured the fans that cool the engine would always be running, not tied to the cabin cooling system.
Yup it functions like a household AC system. In the car when the AC is on and the Compressor is running the cooling fan also runs to pull air through the AC condenser which is usually in front of the radiator. It can have the added effect of cooling the engines coolant as well.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
What type of speeds do you mean by on the highway? It's possible the grill shutters are closing with the AC off to try and save more fuel as well.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What type of speeds do you mean by on the highway? It's possible the grill shutters are closing with the AC off to try and save more fuel as well.
Good point! It could even be the shutters are opening more and allowing more air when the AC is active. If the condenser doesn't get enough air the AC won't work at all. I did a bunch of logs when I first got my car and found the shutters stay closed or almost completely closed a lot.
Sponsored