Sponsored

New to S550, Why does everyone go with Whipple?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Depends on budget and ability of the installer. For some this could be the ONLY reason to pick something else. If funds don't allow for the car to be brought to a legit shop and the person is a novice wrencher, a simpler install is certainly a huge factor.

I am a moderate to expert wrencher, and still chose to take baby steps with the car to make sure I learned as I went. I can appreciate the points where even I was scared a bit in the install of my mods, I could certainly see someone not wanting to go through all of it and opt for the easier install.
I can appreciate that but in most instances the decision made towards a simpler install usually ends up being limited performance.
Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I can appreciate that but in most instances the decision made towards a simpler install usually ends up being limited performance.
Agreed, though admittedly almost all options (the simple installs included) make pretty damn good power :headbang:

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Whipple vs Kenne Bell is all I'm seeing on this thread. Plenty of people including myself go went with VMP... No tune just works beautifully either, you will need revisions when supercharging. So many options out there, my local speedshop tells everyone to do single turbos. What is the car used for? What is important to you?

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Love my vmp

Sponsored

Mike@KenneBell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Another thing to look at when you are researching forced induction is if the kits are legal. Does the kit come with an E.O? Are you going to play hell trying to smog the car when its up for registration in a few years. Kenne Bell has the best install manuals in the industry, a picture for every step. IF you can spin a wrench you can install it, our tunes are spot on, no need for a re-tune. The kits are complete, no cold air kits to buy, no injectors, tune etc. Its all in the box! Cant go wrong with the KB.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Why are you selling?
want to go with a different car. my daily isnt as nice as the mustang and i dont want to keep putting highway miles on the mustang.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
if you talking whipple / kb, then i think whipple def takes the lead. we looked at both lines when we were deciding which way to go with picking up a pd.

we specialize in the coyote and the soft ware / tuning is just the best out there for an oem like kit.

love the ability to have color selections, and the customer service is great.

the guys over at whipple just have done an awesome job for us.

we just finished up our 4.5L install on our personal hellcat as well.

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Just my opinion but I don't think complexity of the install should be a weighing factor when deciding on forced induction, choosing the right one for your goals should be top priority.
Depends on budget and ability of the installer. For some this could be the ONLY reason to pick something else. If funds don't allow for the car to be brought to a legit shop and the person is a novice wrencher, a simpler install is certainly a huge factor.

I am a moderate to expert wrencher, and still chose to take baby steps with the car to make sure I learned as I went. I can appreciate the points where even I was scared a bit in the install of my mods, I could certainly see someone not wanting to go through all of it and opt for the easier install.
Agreed, though admittedly almost all options (the simple installs included) make pretty damn good power :headbang:
Both good points. Having not had an aftermarket power adder before, I knew I'd be happy with any of the options but as a novice wanting to learn and do the install myself, I felt more comfortable installing the Procharger than the Whipple. On the other hand, it's a daily driver so I wanted something that would run cool in 131*+ summer heat. Plus living in the Middle East, cost is a significant factor. Over $500 in shipping alone before customs duties. Everyone has a variety of factors that influence their decision but the key is to think hard and do your homework. :thumbsup:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Whipple had a ton of fan boys here about a year ago...then they just disappeared. It was hardcore too. I think they all upgraded finally.
In the voice of Donald Trump "Wrooooong" like bigly

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Whipple vs Kenne Bell is all I'm seeing on this thread. Plenty of people including myself go went with VMP... No tune just works beautifully either, you will need revisions when supercharging. So many options out there, my local speedshop tells everyone to do single turbos. What is the car used for? What is important to you?
Regarding your tune comment, the supplied Whipple tune is in fact pretty perfect. Stock driveability and plenty of power. My car put down 725rwhp and I don't have to worry about emissions when that time comes.

I'm not sure if the other kits that come with a canned tune are this good, but I am thoroughly impressed with the Whipple tune. The flight control alone is worth it for guys like me that like to run around on street tires.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO Whipple has the best customer service in the industry. You can look back to day one of the S550 release and you will see their kit be improved upon from then till now. They have sent out upgrade/replacements for any issues that some people had, countless FREE calibration updates, engineered even better parts like tensioners, heat exchangers, industry exclusive flight control and so on.

There are even more upgrades right around the corner :headbang:

Just curious, has any other company stayed on the top of their kits or have they been the same since released?

Last edited:

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Never dyno'd mine, but on the stock tires with a stick I have been 136mph in the quarter, and it has gotten 24.6mpg for a tank of daily driving easy. Love my whipple.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Having the first supercharged S550 on the planet, we have worked heavily with Kenne Bell from early on. The kit has evolved, changing up misc. parts, adding parts, and modifying installation instructions to make for an easier/quicker installation.

Kenne Bell only works with a small number of shops Nationwide. This allows them to provide us as vendors excellent customer service. In turn, it allows us to provide very punctual service for you guys. Our KB kits are either in stock, or can be had within 3-4 days tops. No waiting.

CARB EO with a 4.5" inlet tube that grabs air from the fender area. Modular in design , so that you can go from a base 2.8L to a full race 4.7L and anything in between, using the SAME manifold, intercooler, and other kit parts.

As a third party, Boost Works can sell whatever we want. We can offer Whipple, TVS, and any of the centri kits. We choose Kenne Bell, and we're proud that they have trusted is to work closely with them on development and testing. That being said, we feel that they have the best product, service, and development.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
IMHO Whipple has the best customer service in the industry.

There are even more upgrades right around the corner
You know the one thing that Flight Control can improve on is instead of just a % reduction in load demand based on gear only, take that a step further and do it ALSO on rpm within gear.

That way you can ramp up the power as you get traction and rpm's rise and everyone, regardless of tire compound, can lay the power down and not just spin.

It'd actually be simple to program I would assume.

Now if THAT was the upgrade, wow! I might just be a customer.
Sponsored