2019 GT500 Caught Benchmarking Porsche 911 GT3

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Engine amd trans from the GT!? I never thought of it that way but the more i do think about it the more i like it!

:headbang:
Obvious troll not so obvious?
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Lol... you better hope its not the same powertrain from the GT... that would be the first midengined Mustang ever.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Ok thanks BmacIL.

Regarding 9.87 seconds... if the GT500 has such acceleration without the need to change fuel and swap tunes, swap the front tires for the skinny front runners, or take out the back seat, and use vice grips to save weight on the steering wheel, then Demon is royally f*****.

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
If I am to take what BmacIL has said I am thinking SC 5.2 with 850hp and 10 speed trans. This car may also have magnaride with the launch control like the GT and will get the car down the 1/4 mile in less than 10 seconds. Not a dedicated track car nor will it beat a demon on the strip but will hold its own with a number of cars costing north of $100k. He as said the new GT pricing is high and is worried that this will happen to the new car so I am going to go with $75K-$80K on price. There is going to be lots of carbon on the car as well.

Unfortunately for me I don't know that I can spend that amount of cash on what I have just described.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
If I am to take what BmacIL has said I am thinking SC 5.2 with 850hp and 10 speed trans. This car may also have magnaride with the launch control like the GT and will get the car down the 1/4 mile in less than 10 seconds. Not a dedicated track car nor will it beat a demon on the strip but will hold its own with a number of cars costing north of $100k. He as said the new GT pricing is high and is worried that this will happen to the new car so I am going to go with $75K-$80K on price. There is going to be lots of carbon on the car as well.

Unfortunately for me I don't know that I can spend that amount of cash on what I have just described.
it sounds like it won't be the 10 speed trans but the DCT from the Ford GT. Serious question what would it take then for you to spend 75-80k? If you want a dedicated track car one should buy a 350R and call it a day.

Sponsored

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
it sounds like it won't be the 10 speed trans but the DCT from the Ford GT. Serious question what would it take then for you to spend 75-80k? If you want a dedicated track car one should buy a 350R and call it a day.
DCT adds a bit of exotic to the car which helps. Just like you said, an R maybe finding a used one. ZO6 looks good at $80k with factory discounts and hellcats are all over the place for way under $80k. I get that you're not going to get a GT3 or GT-R for the price of what the GT500 might MSRP but I just cringe at the idea of paying $80k for a SC Mustang.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Id buy a viper acr before a gt350r for a dedicated track car.
I haven't priced checked in a while but I do believe you can get a 350R now for 80-85K and a current gen ACR isn't going for less then 130K not sure how those really compare price wise. If money is no issue then that's one thing.

DCT adds a bit of exotic to the car which helps. Just like you said, an R maybe finding a used one. ZO6 looks good at $80k with factory discounts and hellcats are all over the place for way under $80k. I get that you're not going to get a GT3 or GT-R for the price of what the GT500 might MSRP but I just cringe at the idea of paying $80k for a SC Mustang.
If tracking is your main thing I'd probably recommend an R over a Z06, and that's coming from a Z06 owner. The Z is an amazing all around car but it just doesn't manage heat well, so you have to really manage it yourself or you'll be in limp mode, but damn is it a great street car. The interior (if that matters to you) is a massive step up. That would be one of my concerns about paying 75-80K is that there won't even be options to bring the interior up to par with other cars costing that much. I do 2-4 track days a year, a couple drag days and alot of general street driving but I do like a quality interior with some bells and whistles.

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
You should buy a GT350R, btw. It has what you're looking for.
I'm about to. Although just the base car as I won't pay ADM. I would gladly pay ADM-levels of pricing as that is money that I'm driving rather than lining the pockets of profiteers. I can only imagine what an additional $15k budget could do if Ford had it when sourcing/developing the car.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I haven't priced checked in a while but I do believe you can get a 350R now for 80-85K and a current gen ACR isn't going for less then 130K not sure how those really compare price wise. If money is no issue then that's one thing.

If tracking is your main thing I'd probably recommend an R over a Z06, and that's coming from a Z06 owner. The Z is an amazing all around car but it just doesn't manage heat well, so you have to really manage it yourself or you'll be in limp mode, but damn is it a great street car. The interior (if that matters to you) is a massive step up. That would be one of my concerns about paying 75-80K is that there won't even be options to bring the interior up to par with other cars costing that much. I do 2-4 track days a year, a couple drag days and alot of general street driving but I do like a quality interior with some bells and whistles.
I believe even a viper ta is still faster around a track then a gt350r if I recall right. You might be able to snag one of those for about that price.

Sponsored

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
That's not what the history of gt500s are. Incase you didn't know. You want a vette or viper performance, you buy cars in that bracket. The gt500 is not for those people. Why must so many people make it something it's not. If Chevy wants to bastardize the history of their badges and what they used to always mean, let them.
The market for people who want a car like a GT500 (last generation) is rapidly aging/shrinking. Performance car shoppers care less and less about quarter mile times and more about race track lap times. They want visceral, thrilling, stylish over bland brute speed which the Hellcat/Demon already deliver in spades to that niche market.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The market for people who want a car like a GT500 (last generation) is rapidly aging/shrinking. Performance car shoppers care less and less about quarter mile times and more about race track lap times. They want visceral, thrilling, stylish over bland brute speed which the Hellcat/Demon already deliver in spades to that niche market.
Doesn't mean the history of a gt500 badge should be ruined. They make a car for those people already, you know it to be the gt350r

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
For the money as much as I'm not a Chevy guy the 1le ss is a great deal for track people. Supposedly Chevy is even honoring warranty even if it has something break on track. Id imagine it's a fun car with FBO too. Id imagine it wouldn't hang with an R for tons of laps but seems it did comparably well to the R time at willow springs even if different days.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to. Although just the base car as I won't pay ADM. I would gladly pay ADM-levels of pricing as that is money that I'm driving rather than lining the pockets of profiteers. I can only imagine what an additional $15k budget could do if Ford had it when sourcing/developing the car.
Get some light aluminum wheels and be done. You will love it. My best friend has one and it's amazing.

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
Obvious troll not so obvious?
You laugh at this but how can we get lost in details about car packaging and cost concerns and completely ignore economies of scale? A bespoke motor like the FPC makes zero sense, much less sense than Ford knowing back in 2010 as it developed this platform that in 7 years they'd need to find a way to turn this car into a track beast with a reliable and proven method of forced induction, one that fits nicely with the strategy of both their halo car as well as your neighbors Escape. Turbos.

I know I don't have all the information Ford engineers have and I know it is not a question of "get this TTV8 to fit into this Mustang" and I am trying to not play YouTube Commenter Know-It-All role. :) But, and I hope to God this isn't the first time you've heard this, but superchargers reek of aftermarket "I couldn't afford the top model so I'm going to slap this on" power adder.

All judgment off until the car is out at dealers and I can test drive it. But like I said earlier, I'm done waiting for this car and will be pulling the trigger on the 350.

For a car company steeped in motorsport legend Ford is curiously shy of going head to head with the Corvette and 911. I know they could knock it out of the park if they tried. I just wish they WOULD try.
Sponsored