Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
Car Info: 2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost A6 Premium (non Performance Pack)

So we're in the process of putting the car back together (feel free to follow along on www.justa4banger.com or my build thread here on M6G), and I'm trying to make sure I address some other upgrades while doing so.

The car had a tendency to push through the front brakes at my previous power level when trying to build a little boost off the line in the staging bulbs. So I decided to do a budget brake upgrade for her. I'm more of a straight line racing kinda guy, so didn't see the need to go crazy overkill on the brakes - no matter how much I'd like to have Brembos or drilled or slotted rotors. That money was spent elsewhere on go-fast goodies :ninja:

Anyways, here's the rundown of what I used, hope this helps for anyone looking to do a budget brake upgrade on their non-PP Ecoboost, too:

-Factory Mustang GT Front Brake Calipers w/Pads (courtesy of Kelly Aiken @ BMR)
-Color Matched by Enhanced Auto Body in Clearwater
-Factory Mustang GT Front Brake Rotors (Advanced Auto)
-StopTech Mustang GT Stainless Steel Brake Lines (courtesy of Brad Gusler @ BG Racing LLC)

...and of course, the wheels are getting an update as well! Racestar Dark Stars (also courtesy of BG Racing LLC).

So for about $250 in cost, we're looking a lot better, and hopefully going to be stopping a lot better! (I'll definitely update the thread w/my experiences when we get the car on the road again.) Looking forward to these being paired w/the new wheels & tires, as well as all the new BMR goodies going in! Can't wait to get the ole girl back on the streets and track to test everything out soon! :headbang:

PRO TIPS: The factory Ecoboost brake lines did not work w/the factory GT brake calipers. There was, however, a small notch on the calipers that I bet I could have dremeled away and made them work. I decided the $75 investment into some SS lines from StopTech and my friends at BG Racing was the better choice, though. And when you bring calipers to be painted, make sure you have bolts in all their orifices or you'll wind up with paint in them and need to thread/unthread/rethread/clean, etc. until you get the paint back out, lol (rookie mistake).

REAL PRO TIP: Don't install them on the wrong side(s)! :lol: Need to install them with the bleeders facing UP! I had them installed facing down; simple fix, swap sides and voila. Big thanks to another M6G member here for pointing that out to me :) [MENTION=18894]zuki_dan[/MENTION]

UPDATED PRO TIP: Here's the part numbers for the swap, along with the OEM Diagram at the best OEM parts supplier (Thanks to Tasca Steve for all the help on all my projects!)...

1.) StopTech SS Brake Line Kit: #950.61023
2.) OEM Ford Parts (click).

I did not upgrade *all* the items in the exploded diagram. You should be fine with reusing items 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 11, 12 and 13 from the Ecoboost car (I did). Also, if you pick up a set of calipers from another member, instead of from Ford, you're likely going to be buying them "loaded", so you won't need to buy parts 7, 8, 10 unless you're purchasing an "unloaded" set.
Stock Brakes.jpg
1.jpg
20170421_000939.jpg
Exploded Diagram.JPG
2.jpg
IMG_20170421_020408_525.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MiDiablo

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the little notch/tab that could likely be removed to allow the factory Ecoboost brake lines to work with the GT calipers.
20170411_200628.jpg

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I'd like to do this upgrade at some point as well. My brakes don't feel that great for a car this heavy.

firedaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I added the full brembo package on AM to mine. It works amazingly well. Yours looks great

OP
OP
MiDiablo

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
REAL PRO TIP: Don't install them on the wrong side(s)! :lol: Need to install them with the bleeders facing UP! I had them installed facing down; simple fix, swap sides and voila.

Big thanks to another M6G member here for pointing that out to me :) [MENTION=18894]zuki_dan[/MENTION]

Sponsored

OP
OP
MiDiablo

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Updated the first post w/the part numbers to both the Stop Tech kit that I used, as well as the link to the OEM parts that you would need to complete this upgrade. Also included some additional photos.

Last edited:

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Updated the first post w/the part numbers to both the Stop Tech kit that I used, as well as the link to the OEM parts that you would need to complete this upgrade.
Thanks, brother!!!!

OP
OP
MiDiablo

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, brother!!!!
My pleasure bud! Happy to help :headbang: After all, that's why I posted the info here to begin with :thumbsup:

I should have the video rendered this weekend and will add it here to this thread as well.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Hey, quick question (yes another LOL) there are like 6 different rotors, I get the "with performance pack" ones but what is the difference in the with or w/o "premium"? Which ones did you go with? Also, looks like the package will need #6 on the page also. I think #7 only refers to the bleeder screw. Thanks again!!

OP
OP
MiDiablo

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, quick question (yes another LOL) there are like 6 different rotors, I get the "with performance pack" ones but what is the difference in the with or w/o "premium"? Which ones did you go with? Also, looks like the package will need #6 on the page also. I think #7 only refers to the bleeder screw. Thanks again!!
Yeah, sorry, I missed the 6. That's the full caliper, you'll need that. Mine came fully loaded w/the bleeder, and the retainer, and the pads (got them second hand, not from Ford parts).

I have a premium car, so I went ahead and had them give me the premium GT rotors, and yet I don't know there to be a difference in them from the non-premium cars.

Sponsored

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm on the phone with Steve at Tasca trying to figure it out.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I really like this idea . So I had to pull the trigger and invest in a packged set of calipers and rotors ..
Now to decide what color to have the calipers painted ....

Thanks for the insight .
Sponsored