Sponsored

Car Unstable at Interstate Speeds

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
New tires can be squirrely, making the car feel like the entire rear-end is floating around left and right. I'm surprised you're just now feeling it.

Nitto's on the rear, what's on the front? Stock Pirelli's?

Three issues likely going on here:
...1 = 285mm tires minimum recommended wheel width is 9.5", so you're going to experience more sidewall roll than normal.

...2 = The Pirelli's on the front have completely different sidewall construction with different compounds. The Pirelli's have a much stiffer sidewall and a stickier rubber compound, planting the front while the rear's move around more, added to the sidewall flex from being on too narrow of a wheel.

...3 = The Nitto's have a very thick coat of rubber mold release agent on them, some of the worse I've even seen. Nitto does not run their tires through a wash after removing from the tire molder, leaving all that crap on the tire. TireRack even discusses this, link below. I've seen people wash and scrub the tires and tread with Dawn dishwashing liquid to reduce and remove as much as possible.

For reference, new Pirelli PZero and Michelin Pilot line of tires are cleaned at the factory to remove the release agent and can be driven confidently from install, and driven hard after a short break-in.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Mold Release
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
New tires can be squirrely, making the car feel like the entire rear-end is floating around left and right. I'm surprised you're just now feeling it.

Nitto's on the rear, what's on the front? Stock Pirelli's?

Three issues likely going on here:
...1 = 285mm tires minimum recommended wheel width is 9.5", so you're going to experience more sidewall roll than normal.

...2 = The Pirelli's on the front have completely different sidewall construction with different compounds. The Pirelli's have a much stiffer sidewall and a stickier rubber compound, planting the front while the rear's move around more, added to the sidewall flex from being on too narrow of a wheel.

...3 = The Nitto's have a very thick coat of rubber mold release agent on them, some of the worse I've even seen. Nitto does not run their tires through a wash after removing from the tire molder, leaving all that crap on the tire. TireRack even discusses this, link below. I've seen people wash and scrub the tires and tread with Dawn dishwashing liquid to reduce and remove as much as possible.

For reference, new Pirelli PZero and Michelin Pilot line of tires are cleaned at the factory to remove the release agent and can be driven confidently from install, and driven hard after a short break-in.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Mold Release
It is 9.5" recommended minimum for a 295 not 285, I may end up just putting a 275 or 285 up front, My other 15 had this exact wheel setup but with 295s on the rear and it did not handle like this but it also was not lowered... Also I would pay to see a Pzero stickier than any nitto tire!

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It is 9.5" recommended minimum for a 295 not 285, I may end up just putting a 275 or 285 up front, My other 15 had this exact wheel setup but with 295s on the rear and it did not handle like this but it also was not lowered... Also I would pay to see a Pzero stickier than any nitto tire!
Just confirmed on Nitto's website that the 285 min is a 9.5" wheel, and the 295 min in a 10.0" wheel. See for yourself, link below, then scroll down to specs for the 20" tires:

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt555-g2-ultra-high-performance-tire/

That aside, the mold release agent is likely the leading issue, followed by break-in.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks, however as far as the molding agent or whatever I have never heard of that being an issue... The tires already have 1200 miles on them.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So getting no where with this, changed lanes while merging under power today and the car is all over the place and tried to kill me... Swaying and shit, my girlfriends 99' 4runner with 300k miles handles better than this turd.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So getting no where with this, changed lanes while merging under power today and the car is all over the place and tried to kill me... Swaying and shit, my girlfriends 99' 4runner with 300k miles handles better than this turd.
Did you check the bumpstops? You definitely have an issue. I assume you weren't at more than 1/3 to half throttle doing this?

You probably need to lock down the IRS anyway.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Did you check the bumpstops? You definitely have an issue. I assume you weren't at more than 1/3 to half throttle doing this?

You probably need to lock down the IRS anyway.
What do you mean lock down the IRS.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean lock down the IRS.
BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit or Steeda's package (Subframe support system + subframe braces)

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Make sure your wheel bearings are tight. I had a serious case of the wiggles and that was the issue for me.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit or Steeda's package (Subframe support system + subframe braces)
I thought the cradle lockout was for wheel hop?

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the cradle lockout was for wheel hop?
Just one of it's functions. It also stops the cradle moving around when applying power and cornering. As good as it is, I am not certain that is your issue. Still seems like your suspension is not able to take load changes.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Im going to put it up on a lift this week, What are some good things to check while its up?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
Certainly interesting as I have the same problem currently. I'm on Bridgestone Turanza's and feel pretty much the same thing. You even explained it better than I could lol

Car is "shakey" at highway speeds, sort off like it moves side to side while going straight. And it "wobbles" when taking corners or sudden lane changes. The best way I could describe it is if there was air resistance on the front of the car since I have a grill delete, that slight but noticeable unstable feeling.

Took the car in to get it checked out and they discarded the problem as the front tires being worn out. Changed tires and problem still there.

Gonna print this thread and bring it to the dealership apt. I have on Friday and see what happens

edit: all stock suspension and 235 tires

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
As others have said, I would also jiggle your wheels and see if there is any play in the wheel bearings. I've read that the S550 bearings have gone out on cars with as low as 20k miles.
Sponsored