Sponsored

Review: Powerstop "Track Day" Pads (with Dedicated Rotors)

AlexrodiGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015 Track Edition
Ok thanks for the Info, well I guess I just try then and see what happens. I hope they survive the track day.
Sponsored

RedfireV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Figured here would be best to post then to start my own. I never did get to go like I wanted due to an emergency at work unfortunately but I have another track day coming up.

Just put on the PowerStop Track Day pads and OMG. These things stop in a hurry. It was really mind boggling to me how quickly the car came to a halt and I really wasn't try to mash the pedal or anything. Just very impressed. I'm actually having to be very easy on brakes coming to a stop now. I've just never had a car stop so quick. And I've had the FR500C brembo's with PBC pads. Huge difference. Can't wait to see how these will be on the track. Oh and I also went with some titanium backing plates to help dissipate the heat come track day this week.
I really enjoyed these pads at the track. They just stopped. I found the MPSS tires to be a new limiting factor. I just kept out braking them. The only negatives is the amount of brake dust these produce. I just wanted to add about those titanium heat shields as well. This is what titanium brake pad heat shields do and how they look after being abused. Notice one side is clean (the piston side) and the other is torched (pad side). That's what helps keep all that heat from getting to your caliper pistons, seals, brake fluid, etc. Neva-fade!

34439194090_acdc35dba6_z.jpg
34692923141_00ed284558_z.jpg

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Just putting my experience out there. Bought these pads for the first time and I've used two of the major brands on here as well in the past. I am Whippled, have Eradispeed two piece slotted rotors, stainless brake lines and use Castrol SRF fluid that is bled before every track day. I have had great stopability with my previous brands of track pads and those have lasted 3-5 sessions of road course days. The powerstop ones got used for the first time last Friday at Thunderhill raceway and it was a 107 temp day (this sucked) and track temp got up to 160 degrees. These couldn't have been heat tested any better. Well, they performed flawlessly and I was overly surprised at their ability and I push brakes and tires aggressively. They never faded and I progressively braked later and later throughout the day of 4 sessions....didn't run the last two as the heat became ridiculous. Consistency in braking stayed in play always. I expected something to get weaker within the brake system but it never did. I have not taken them off yet to see how they wore and I won't have a longevity report until I change them out for new ones.

Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the results and plan to continually use these if no surprises comes up. Theses pads are significantly cheaper than my previous brands and will be my go to from here on out. My suggestion is give them a try. I also use their street sets which produce little to no dust and work great as well but nowhere near the ability of the track pads and these do dust up quite a bit but that's to be expected.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
These pads are very, very capable but they chew up rotors like there's no tomorrow. There was no lip on these rotors when I installed them about 3 months ago. Time for new rotors :mad:
0711181934.jpg

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CO Premium PP
Going to get these in a month probably. It sucks that they are so hard on the rotors.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Going to get these in a month probably. It sucks that they are so hard on the rotors.
I didn't think they would be, based on their composition.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Did not have same experience with these chewing rotors on my car. AutoX and Road Course could yield different results I guess.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Did not have same experience with these chewing rotors on my car. AutoX and Road Course could yield different results I guess.
I am pretty confident it's not the autocross doing it, but rather the regular street use. I think these pads are basically angle grinders when they are cold. When hot they're probably fine.

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I am pretty confident it's not the autocross doing it, but rather the regular street use. I think these pads are basically angle grinders when they are cold. When hot they're probably fine.
Yea that’s what I was thinking. So u like this track day pad and rotor combination for hdpe

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have used the Track Day pads all year at mostly autox and they've been great for me. Never saw any fade on track but didn't do much of that this year. I could fade out the OEM pads pretty quickly on track when using those. The brake dust has always just washed off afterwards.

No adverse rotor wear either with the Baer Eradispeed two-piece rotor set on my car but the car is not daily driven. It has been taken on a few random roads trips, though.

I'll be sticking with these and will even do the Powerstop pickup brake kit they offer for my '14 F-150 when I get around to it. I'm a fan!

Sponsored

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I have used the Track Day pads all year at mostly autox and they've been great for me. Never saw any fade on track but didn't do much of that this year. I could fade out the OEM pads pretty quickly on track when using those. The brake dust has always just washed off afterwards.

No adverse rotor wear either with the Baer Eradispeed two-piece rotor set on my car but the car is not daily driven. It has been taken on a few random roads trips, though.

I'll be sticking with these and will even do the Powerstop pickup brake kit they offer for my '14 F-150 when I get around to it. I'm a fan!
Hi so I don’t drive my car everyday either think I can get away with ordering the track pad and rotor kit and using that? Or should I get the z26 for the streets and then change to the track pad when going to the track

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hi so I don’t drive my car everyday either think I can get away with ordering the track pad and rotor kit and using that? Or should I get the z26 for the streets and then change to the track pad when going to the track
If it were me I wouldn't waste money on the Z26 pads. Like I said above my car has been fine on the track day pads.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Depending on how severe rotor wear is with the PS track day pads, you might want to do the pad swap thing. But I'm betting that'll get old pretty quickly, in which case you might want to consider track rated pads that are gentler on the rotors.

Norm

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The track pads are fine on the street - they will squeak randomly but usually rarely. They dust like crazy, though, and the dust faded the finish of my RAYS wheels (which were satin black).
Sponsored