Sponsored

ALL Photoshop Requests Thread

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
OP look at the strut towers. You can see the engine placement is the same as current car. Boo Ford.

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
OP look at the strut towers. You can see the engine placement is the same as current car. Boo Ford.
I think the strut towers is only part of the equation. The strut is slightly tilted forward so the wheels will be a bit further to the front. If you look at the M3 strut towers placement below, there are pretty are back as well. I think it has to do with weight saving upfront. BMW goes to great length to achieve 51/49. Every screws were engineered for weight saving. Based on what I've heard from Ford, they seem to be very aware of weight saving upfront as the redesign front suspension and subframe, aluminum front fenders, shorter struts, struts bars that mounted back to the firewalls, overall lower hood height ...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The very front of the 5.0 sits on the front wheel centers, this was possible through the use of a Double Ball Joint MacP system. The old MacP strut set up forced the strut into a more vertical angle, it was also angle out (required in MacP systems). The double ball joint allows more positive Caster.

The old system was more toward zero...

You can see above, the Coyote sits pretty much even with the fender slope. It's pretty much the reason the slope is probably there. Engine clearance while still clearing any possible pedestrian impact standards. The compact Getrag also helps make this deep engine placement possible.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Your diagrams refer to caster, and the S197 had about +7 degrees which is pretty good compared to other MacP strut equipped cars. I don't think I've seen a spec for the S550 but I suspect it's pretty close to the S197.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Here Grim, this side by side illustrates the change in caster. The pic on the left is a Boss 302, it's holding that +7 your talking about...

The pic on the right is the S550 in S197 skin (the first engine bay pics). You can instantly notice the reclined position the strut tower is in on the S550. I would guess maybe twice that +7. I say, seek what BMW is leaning towards and you will be pretty close to the answer.

The engine appears to be sitting lower as well... It wouldn't surprise me.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The perspective of those photos doesn't lend to an accurate comparison. I don't know how far you can push caster angle before getting into diminishing returns as far as camber gain and return to zero.

Trying to find stock BMW caster angles was a bitch. The F20 1-series has a miniscule 30'(that's minute, aka arcminute) of caster. If my math is right, that is 0.5 degrees caster which I can't believe to be accurate. The F30 3-series has 7 degrees(7.2 with M package) and read in one place that the E30 M3 had 9 degrees caster.

Here is some decent tech info on the F30 BMW chassis.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesforyou/docs/03_F30_Chassis_Dynamics1.pdf

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
This pic does show the angle of the S550 is a bit more pronounce vs. the old one.

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
Photoshop request

I keep looking at the S550 and thinking it would look fantastic with a front end reminiscent to the 1970 model. Move the head lamps in and pushing the turn indicators and gills outside of them while making the lighting enclosure the same color as the body.

I have no Photoshop skills but would love to see if that would look good at all. Something that merges this

With the next generation of Mustang.

intoadaze

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0
This is interesting might give it a try over the weekend :)

Sponsored

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
Thanks. I just saw your post in the Photoshop thread. Nicely done.

I realize the 2013/2014 is probably a better match for the 1970 front end but they don't have the captivating fastback lines the 2015+ will have. They also have a B pillar and the 1970 had a unified DLO.

intoadaze, your 'shop with the grill lights is part of the way there. Replace the grill lights with the headlamps (similar to -gasp- the lights on the refreshed Camaro) wrap the grill/headlamp area with the bumper/front and I think that is the essence of what I want to see. It really does need the grill/headlamp area to be one unified expanse with the body color, gills, turn signals on the outside of that.

If you can't get to it, no biggie.

chrisvr6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my try, but still want to see what the pro can do ;)

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
I like it, but think keeping the lit gills would be sweet.
I thought it might be necessary to widen the grill, but I don't think you did that.

Of course that light arrangement is just begging for proper venting and perhaps forced induction.

chrisvr6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yea, didnt know how to do it, i wait what the other guy can do ;)

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
What you did looks good. Now my mind is putting a shaker hood on it and a supercharger on the motor...
Sponsored