Sponsored

Did You Test Drive Before Buying??

memustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't find any previous threads about this...

Very interested in buying the 2017 GT350 and even though several Ford Dealers have some new models in stock in my area of Orlando Fl, they will not allow any test drives whatsoever. The reason is they would not be able to sell if it was previously driven - even 1 mile.

One dealer invited me over last weekend, took my insurance and License etc and then asked me to pay full price plus $5k over sticker before they would even start the car.

How many of you with GT350s actually paid in advance and drove away a new GT350 Shelby without any prior test drive?

I don't understand how most buyers would have full confidence to pay $60k+ without any prior experience of driving this car. The reviews are all very positive but I'm still reluctant to buy new with no prior test drive.
Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I'm in Orlando, all the dealers wanted 10k+ over last year when I was looking. Ended up traveling out of state (Kentucky) to land an MSRP deal. Never drove any Mustang in my life and it was my first Ford vehicle. Bought the car and drove it all the way home. No regrets.

Prowl647

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I would test drive a GT. That's how the cabin feels. You'll feel the weight of the vehicle and get a general feeling of the dynamics. If you like that experience then you'll love the gt350 as it is a couple steps ahead of the 5.0 in every way. I did not test drive before I bought and I don't regret my decision for one second

OP
OP

memustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Orlando, all the dealers wanted 10k+ over last year when I was looking. Ended up traveling out of state (Kentucky) to land an MSRP deal. Never drove any Mustang in my life and it was my first Ford vehicle. Bought the car and drove it all the way home. No regrets.
Thanks! Did they do your title work and register the car in Florida or did you have to do that on your return?

OP
OP

memustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would test drive a GT. That's how the cabin feels. You'll feel the weight of the vehicle and get a general feeling of the dynamics. If you like that experience then you'll love the gt350 as it is a couple steps ahead of the 5.0 in every way. I did not test drive before I bought and I don't regret my decision for one second
Good idea! I read there were lots of differences from shifter to sound to seats to handling so didn't think it would give a true feel. Maybe I'll try that first.

Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Don't your dealers have demonstrators?
Drove a demonstrator 17 GT coupe "round the block" with salesman beside me. Max 60 kilometres per hour account of speed cameras.
Bit underwhelmed actually.
Recall l-o-n-g hood and effortless power after my Mazda MX5.

Didn't stop me buying my Vert GT soon as I located LB.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
They did all the paper work. Based on my address they mailed the title to my local tag agency, I went down with all my paper work and got the car registered.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a Mustang GT before I ordered the GT350. Main thing was to visibly show my wife that the kids could fit in the back seat.

By the time the car arrived and I was back from deployment, my son grew an additional foot and now he has to lean his head sideways to fit in the back.

OP
OP

memustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't your dealers have demonstrators?
Drove a demonstrator 17 GT coupe "round the block" with salesman beside me. Max 60 kilometres per hour account of speed cameras.
Bit underwhelmed actually.
Recall l-o-n-g hood and effortless power after my Mazda MX5.

Didn't stop me buying my Vert GT soon as I located LB.
Unfortunately not - the ford dealers here locally think they're selling a Bugatti! Ironically you can go test drive an Aston, Ferrari or Porsche worth three times the price with no hassle at all.

strikes2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda S2000; 2017 LB Mustang GT350
Yes. They even let my GF and I take it out by ourselves without a salesman in the car. Pretty cool. Now I own a Lightning Blue GT350 :).

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately not - the ford dealers here locally think they're selling a Bugatti! Ironically you can go test drive an Aston, Ferrari or Porsche worth three times the price with no hassle at all.

Dealers want to avoid "test drive tourists". The Shelby brings a lot of them and most dealers only have 1 car at a time. :tsk:

Aston, Ferrari or Porsche dealers have many cars on the lot, so they can designate one to be the test drive car.

Would you want to buy a Shelby with several hundred test drive miles on it? Especially when the dealer is asking for an ADM? :shrug:

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Try Lakeland auto mall, shouldn't be too far from you since your in Orlando, and I got my 17 MSRP. Try starting with telling them your willing to pay like 1k over then talk them to none over. If you do go PM me and I'll tell you my salesman's name.

OP
OP

memustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealers want to avoid "test drive tourists". The Shelby brings a lot of them and most dealers only have 1 car at a time. :tsk:

Aston, Ferrari or Porsche dealers have many cars on the lot, so they can designate one to be the test drive car.

Would you want to buy a Shelby with several hundred test drive miles on it? Especially when the dealer is asking for an ADM? :shrug:
Yes you're right but I've also seen many owners having tested the car in the US before buying. Wouldn't be too hard to screen a serious looking buyer and go round the block. From the sounds of it, the car should sell itself after a couple of miles!

OP
OP

memustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try Lakeland auto mall, shouldn't be too far from you since your in Orlando, and I got my 17 MSRP. Try starting with telling them your willing to pay like 1k over then talk them to none over. If you do go PM me and I'll tell you my salesman's name.
Cool thx! I'll look them up tomorrow.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Oh I see my mistake, you're talking about a Shelby.
Not available down under apart from few private imports.

I was talking about normal GT
Sponsored