Ford's new CEO axes RHD Mustang and V8 engines

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Could happen. New boss, new strategy. suddenly we've all got collectors items from a quirky footnote in Ford's history

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, yeah lets have them can it, collectors cars, thanks ford :)

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The value would sky rocket, i'd imagine the rhd after market parts would also dry up

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The value would sky rocket, i'd imagine the rhd after market parts would also dry up
Dry up?! Wouldn't it need to have at least dipped it's feat before it could be dry?! :lol::lol::lol:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
#spatcoffee

SurfOrFight

SurfOrFight
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT Auto Ruby Red 2016
Vehicle Showcase
There has already been a hint of the demise of the V8.

Future models will have 'V8 like power' with electric 'hybrid' technology. So the 'feelers' are already out there; waiting for the 2021 S650 could be a big gamble if you want a V8. Also throw in the politics; Trump may not be as 'green' as some but V8's will not be as popular in the future political 'green' world.

On the plus side, Americans still seem to like a real motor:headbang:

Last edited:

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
There has already been a hint of the demise of the V8.

Future models will have 'V8 like power' with electric 'hybrid' technology. So the 'feelers' are already out there; waiting for the 2021 S650 could be a big gamble if you want a V8. Also throw in the politics; Trump may not be as 'green' as some but V8's will not be as popular in the future political 'green' world.

On the plus side, Americans still seem to like a real motor:headbang:
Quotes also say there is no Mustang without a v8 - and as long as GM and the like are doing it, so will Ford. The 2020/21 car will have a v8 (I'm confident even if I know absolutely nothing) :)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Sponsored

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I was still hoping (in my own little futile way) for a global GT350(R), but how this latest development will impact that I'm not sure. I certainly hope the RHD Mustang and/or V8 doesn't become a casualty of the shake-up.

Why is it that US manufacturing has such an issue with RHD anyway? Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, VW, Renault, Pug/Citroen, Nissan, Toyota, etc etc (and Ford Europe let's not forget!) all manage to make LHD and RHD models (including the top of the line performance variants) without making a massive song and dance about it, so why is it such an issue for Ford USA? Does anyone know?

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
Why is it that US manufacturing has such an issue with RHD anyway? Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, VW, Renault, Pug/Citroen, Nissan, Toyota, etc etc (and Ford Europe let's not forget!) all manage to make LHD and RHD models (including the top of the line performance variants) without making a massive song and dance about it, so why is it such an issue for Ford USA? Does anyone know?
Because they're parochial Americans and don't know the rest of the world exists:D

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
New CEO's immediate remit will be to make a few big announcements to stabilise then recover the share price.

1. Reduce overheads
Layoffs
Automation
Cut unprofitable models

2. Announce vision for the future
Fewer models
More platform sharing
Collaboration with other makers
Green electric future
Autonomous driving cars
Partnering with google/apple etc

Global cars fit with the above. V8's do not.
The next mustang has to be on a platform that's shared globally. I wouldn't rule out sharing with another muscle car. They already share the auto box with chevy. That's better than a platform share with the fusion and focus.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=22897]v8hgt[/MENTION] if it makes the car better.. go for it, expect him to lose his head if the marketing team don't market a V8-less S650 model. Yes they could hybrid a 600rwhp easy as pie on a I4/V6 with electromagic. But, Losing the V8 as an option, tough one to shoot for!

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
This has got me thinking about the RHD market now... it took Ford 50 years to get themselves sorted & it may have been a case of a trial run - I never read anywhere that this was intended to be a permanent offering. Yes, they have been selling like hot cakes, but how much profit are they actually making on the exported models? Is it really worth it I wonder? Ford have clearly demonstrated they are not set up to sell the Mustang, in the UK anyway. The car culture this side of the pond is pretty much non existent for American cars, especially for those wanting to run as a daily, as many of us here do.

Personally I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do decide to scrap the RHD for the s650, I don't think it will happen but it won't surprise me too much.

A small part of me hopes they do in a way, because it will add value to an already outstanding car.

Just damn glad I got mine :ford:
Sponsored