Sponsored

Things to check before picking up your car

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
We meant to have an SD card with the Nav maps on it? Where is that inserted as my SD slots are empty :(
Are you confusing SD with USB? The SD slot is in the armrest. Presumably, the nav wont work if there's no card?
Sponsored

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
It is but it is also Fords flagship car in the uk, so they should be all over it. Let's face it mustang is "the brand". If the MD Drives one .....
It's all just 'white goods' to the average salesman. I know Ford actually own some of the garages, but for most of them, Ford is just a brand they sell. Ford MD isn't the garage MD.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I agree, equally, i'd sooner not have any fk-ups with the car, or any issues, this is here for your own use, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, it's just a list of things that people are flagging as issues post delivery or during delivery that you may as well get out of the way before hand.

I'm also aware that some individuals have had negative experiences with their dealers so this could help levitate the issue, whilst also educating the dealer somewhat for future Mustang purchasers - after all, we're all 'Brothers in Cars' :thumbsup:
Best add some things then.
Check operation of all lights
Check all levels, oil, water, brake fluid etc
Ask if they can put the car on a ramp to check steering suspension and brakes.

Yeh, okay I am taking the piss and I dont want to detract from you starting a useful threas. But seriously I think your list has gone too far to be useful. I cannot see many people taking a pressure gauge to the dealers. Check them on the way home? Yeh, maybe.

mustangguy64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Convertible
I agree, equally, i'd sooner not have any fk-ups with the car, or any issues, this is here for your own use, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, it's just a list of things that people are flagging as issues post delivery or during delivery that you may as well get out of the way before hand.

I'm also aware that some individuals have had negative experiences with their dealers so this could help levitate the issue, whilst also educating the dealer somewhat for future Mustang purchasers - after all, we're all 'Brothers in Cars' :thumbsup:
Remember the wiring loom issue only impacts on GT's so the dealer may get his own back if you raise it as an issue on your Ecoboost.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Sooner perfection than some half-arsed crap because the dealer had 'other handovers' to do and all this other rubbish excuses. As much as i'm a slight megalomaniac, a customer in general should be made to feel as comfortable as possible when purchasing ANYTHING, making them feel like 'the world is on them' for that 30mins to an Hour during handover.

This is something ford have done with me before, and i'd expect no-less during the Mustang, that being said, I hold the Mustang to a way higher standard than the S-Max/Fiesta/used Corsa I've personally attended the purchasing periods and handover of.
I must admit I'm more in the "just give me the fking keys" camp providing there's nothing obvious

If there's a problem, I'll be back....

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Useful thread, thanks :thumbsup:

I'll be having a cursory walk round which covers about 8 of the points. I may pop the SD card just so I can mention it if its the old version and i'll definitely mention the wiring loom.

It'd need to be missing a wheel for me to refuse it however. Anything else can be sorted by arrangement.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Useful thread, thanks :thumbsup:

I'll be having a cursory walk round which covers about 8 of the points. I may pop the SD card just so I can mention it if its the old version and i'll definitely mention the wiring loom.

It'd need to be missing a wheel for me to refuse it however. Anything else can be sorted by arrangement.
I think I'll take tons of photos as I won't trust myself to think straight enough to spot everything. Anything I go back with then can be evidenced.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I think I'll take tons of photos as I won't trust myself to think straight enough to spot everything. Anything I go back with then can be evidenced.
I bought a decent camera and tripod for the sole purpose of doing this. Couldn't bring myself to get the tripod out on the day mind you. Also, the car was dirty so didn't show up the scratches anyway.

You miss stuff with your eye, but with a high res camera, you can zoom in at your leisure to a very high level of detail.

I took some camera phone pics when buying a car a couple of years ago. There was a massive gash on one of the alloys that I didn't notice. The dealer initially said "its been checked over and there's no damage", but luckily the photo (at the dealer) showed the damage was there and they had to change their minds.

I had lots of plans and a checklist for checking over the Mustang. I even considered taking a detailer along to check it over. On the day though, I somehow just found myself in the 'just give me the keys' camp.

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, equally not all these points you need to do, they're just there for reference in case anyone does end up forgetting, and it's more a helpful prompt than a 'must-do'.

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Sunglasses, check

Smug look, check

Fuel card, check

:D

Sponsored

mustangguy64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Convertible
Hi guys,

Below is a list of things I believe everyone should look over before accepting their car from the dealer, these are in no particular order!
I know your not particularly a convertible fan but could your list include:

Individual Tonneau Caps should be in boot for convertibles.

Thanks, Peter

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I know your not particularly a convertible fan but could your list include:

Individual Tonneau Caps should be in boot for convertibles.

Thanks, Peter
Have added, thanks! :)

Yep for all others asking for additions, the list is for both GT/EB and Verte/FB models (So all input is good input)

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Need to add - check your wing mirror operation to the list. Both mirrors should fold in towards the windows and it seems that on some cars (including mine I have just found out) the drivers side doesn't fold in properly.

We meant to have an SD card with the Nav maps on it? Where is that inserted as my SD slots are empty :(
If it's not already in the SD slot, it should be in the packet pictured, which was in the glove box.

Hammer Time

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Auto

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Mine has the F4 nav card. Isn't it supposed to be F5?

The mirrors can't fold in the same as the stalks they sit on are different. Driver's side sticks out more than the passenger side, which is more swept back.
Sponsored