Sponsored

Protecting The Fabric With Waterproofing/UV Spray

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Ok, well thank you all for the help and replies. I don't know why but I get the feeling nobody will answer ANY question. I just wanted to know the products used by the OPs. That's fine I will come to that conclusion on my own, I just figured someone could fast lane the answer since everyone on this thread is using a product. But fuck it I should know better than to ask anyone anything.
Damn... looking at the times, they might be at work and not able to answer. :D
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Applied 303 Protectant right away on new vehicle.

Did you do this as soon as you got your stang or did you do it once water stopped beading? The manuals says to do if water stops beading. Mine is still beading water and don't want to mess anything up by applying something over what Ford had applied.
I didn't use 303 ragtop cleaner at first...I assumed that the top was still clean.
I did apply 303 Fabric Protectant a couple days after taking delivery. I have always trusted 303 products. Nothing on the bottle says that you can't use it on a new car.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
303 also. Purchased at West marine for a boat I sold.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Ok, well thank you all for the help and replies. I don't know why but I get the feeling nobody will answer ANY question. I just wanted to know the products used by the OPs. That's fine I will come to that conclusion on my own, I just figured someone could fast lane the answer since everyone on this thread is using a product. But fuck it I should know better than to ask anyone anything.

OP states,

Since I just picked up this vert, I quickly had to treat it. I used a West Marine Store Canvas Waterproofing Spray (for boat awnings, etc.). These stores might be hard to find in the middle of Nebraska! However, there are similar products by 303, Raggtop, etc. that was well or better.

Relax Man. Many good people here willing to help you but they have lives.:cheers:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Easy Carlos. You might want to give someone more than 14 hours to answer before you get upset, people only check this site so often and even then do not go into every thread under every topic. Or you could try PM if you want to get their attention directly. I did not protect mine yet, so I have no answer for you. :cheers:

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible

OP
OP
CVCashmere

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Second Coat Applied to the Section That is Exposed When top is Down

When the top is down, there is one flat section that is exposed to the sun. I have sprayed that section with a second coat to protect it from UV rays.

I would recommend that you spray your top with a UV waterproofed so that when it sits out, it doesn't fade.

Thanks

CVCashmere

Kcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Vehicle(s)
TY EcoBoost Prem Vert Auto PerfPkg Nav
303 for the win.

I used the 303 products on top and trim. Great history behind the product. Did mine when brand spanking new. Has beaded water for 2 years so far. Will do another coat this year.

OP
OP
CVCashmere

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I used the 303 products on top and trim. Great history behind the product. Did mine when brand spanking new. Has beaded water for 2 years so far. Will do another coat this year.

Smart man!

CVCashmere

Sponsored

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
I was also confused about exactly what products you're using, as 303 makes several fabric protectants and the aerospace protectant is only for use on vinyl materials. After a bit of research, I found some very useful information.

S550 OEM Convertible Top Fabric:

The top fabric is Haartz Twillfast RPC, color 1973 Black.

all-new-2015-mustang-showcases-haartz-convertible-topping-material

Twillfast RPC

Personally, I think we should launch a class-action lawsuit against Ford for not offering the Mustang with the red top. :paddle:

If you're bothered by creases in your top and are looking to replace your top, consider the Twillfast CR (crease resistant), which is used on the Rolls Royce Dawn.

Haartz's Convertible Top Care Instructions:

Cloth Top Cleaning

They recommend using Raggtop products, so anyone concerned about warranty issues would want to go this route. However, I believe this is just a co-branding effort.

I'm very surprised that Haartz recommends using a bleach solution for cleaning stubborn areas.

A few things I learned about the different brands discussed in this thread:

The West Marine Fabric Waterproofing with PTEF is made by Ocean Bio-Chem, who also makes Star Brite. PTEF is Teflon.

303 sells the same product under multiple labels, such as Fabric Guard and Marine & Recreation Fabric Guard. Their fabric products do not contain UV protection. (See Q&A 303-fabric-guard)

Golden Eagle, the owner of the 303 brand, makes their own plastic bottles. They also sell their products under private labels (with another brand's label). Raggtopp and 303 products are sold in identical spray bottles. Thus, I suspect that Golden Eagle makes both products.

Of the products discussed in this thread, Boating Magazine ranked 303 first overall, followed by Star Bright, and finally West Marine. They didn't test Raggtopp or Autoglym.

My Thoughts:

I probably will buy the Haartz/Raggtop cleaning brush, but I'm still deciding which protectant to use. I was leaning toward 303, but I definitely want something with UV protection. My car is not garaged and the Texas sun is a concern for me. After learning about the rubber middle-layer of the top, I think it's the most important layer to protect from premature deterioration.