Sponsored

When can I order a MY18 car?

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
I generally drive everywhere. But when I had a PDK Porsche every set of lights was a 0-60 grand prix, plus it was a Boxster so it was kind of fun putting to shame some big exotic stuff in a little Boxster. People fail to realise that modern Boxster is a damn quick car and with PDK it was rattling of 0-60 in 4.4s. :D

But yes MY18 could be very quick indeed, I love the SMG on the M3 and with my motorsport diff it could do with 7-8 gears for sure especially when cruising.

I suspect the 10 speed will have 7 short gears for acceleration and 3 overdrive gears plus it can block shift so in auto mode it won't necessarily be changing gear all the time as it will just block shift from say 3-5 or 5-7 for example. Raptor owners only have praise for it and ZL1 owners love it, so lets hope Ford don't fuck it up in the Mustang. :D
I've often thought the Boxster (or, in reality, Cayman) is all the car I'll ever need - though I'd prefer a 911 because.... 911. Certainly a nice compromise between capability and understatement. However, the howl of a V8 seems to undo that.

I have to agree with everything you've said. I'm stubborn, so hopefully will one day own a manual ZL1 (or ZR1/Z06, I'm not fussy!) but I don't think I'd be disappointed in the 10 Speed.
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I've often thought the Boxster (or, in reality, Cayman) is all the car I'll ever need - though I'd prefer a 911 because.... 911. Certainly a nice compromise between capability and understatement. However, the howl of a V8 seems to undo that.

I have to agree with everything you've said. I'm stubborn, so hopefully will one day own a manual ZL1 (or ZR1/Z06, I'm not fussy!) but I don't think I'd be disappointed in the 10 Speed.

Drive a 911 Flat 6 NA C2S, GTS or GT3 flat out and trust me the noise in the cabin is hard to beat, they are so visceral especially at the last 1000rpm of the rev range.

But yes the V8 is unbeatable when at idle and cruising, plus it is great sound externally, but a flat 6 NA revving high is a stunning noise inside the cabin, the engine being behind your head also helps. :D

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drive a 911 Flat 6 NA C2S, GTS or GT3 flat out and trust me the noise in the cabin is hard to beat, they are so visceral especially at the last 1000rpm of the rev range.

But yes the V8 is unbeatable when at idle and cruising, plus it is great sound externally, but a flat 6 NA revving high is a stunning noise inside the cabin, the engine being behind your head also helps. :D
I had 2 993s, so I'm reasonably well versed in the howl of a flat six, and it's one of the only engine sounds to match the warble of the v8 - so I'll be back in a 911 one day (or something similar; not a 718!).

I still get invited to the launches, 991.2, Panamera, 718 etc, so I'm tempted all too often, but as many of us here, I cannot justify £60k for the baby Porsche (optioned) when my £36k Mustang does it all and sounds the way it does (practical, but not overly stupid).

However... my wife and I have ordered a new S1 Sportback for her (replacing our aging S5 v8) and so I no longer "need" the 5 door I have.. maybe that 911 can return ;)

OP
OP

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
Cheers chaps. Will continue to enjoy mine for a good few more months then.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm sure if I spend the time searching I'll find it but a quick flick through the forums has failed. Simple question:

When will the orders for my18 cars be opened. I was able to order a MY17 and receive it as one of the first 17's this side of the pond.

I've got an itch for a 18 and just wondered when I should be thinking about selling my GB 17 and placing an order for the next gen.

I've also got to work on Mrs Tack so need to bear that in mind!

I'm out the loop as I own one so are the uk dealers taking orders for the new colours and specs yet?
So when did you get your current Mustang?? I've just sold my 16 and got an Focus RS as a stop gap and away of holding the money in a car rather than it getting spent on things I don't really need, the RS is great, feel 100% confident in her and don't worry all the time about the rear kicking out, if i'm honest tho I can't wait till the 18 arrives, even more so after seeing all the Mustangs at the latest Berkshire meet.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Raptor owners only have praise for it and ZL1 owners love it, so lets hope Ford don't fuck it up in the Mustang. :D
But the 10 speed on the ZL1 has been shown to be slower on the track than the stick??? The reason to buy an auto over stick is that supposed to be faster, reason to buy stick over auto is more engagement/enjoyment but the 10 speed seems to lose on both counts. I must be missing something :confused:

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
A bit of a bump for this one.

I saw in the latest info on the MY2018 that EU/RHD production will not start until early 2018 - so it seems like we're going to lag a few months behind the US again. I'm wondering when Ford UK are going to start admitting to potential buyers that a facelift model is just around the corner?

It seems like there is still no word in the US on final specifications - even basics such as engine power and availability of Magneride - so I'm guessing any early RHD orders will, as last time, be committing to a car with a 50% unknown specification.

When I sold my car back in March the plan was to order a MY18 at the earliest possible opportunity - but it's all wearing a bit thin now to be honest. I'm still reading about stuff, like the gearbox story [MENTION=25127]Spider[/MENTION] has posted, and I just don't think I can be bothered to put myself through the p:censored:ss poor Ford experience again - and certainly not for (probably) another £10k on the purchase price.

I think this time I am going to wait to see an actual UK car before I decide to order - I need to know the QC, general build quality issues and customer service is at the standard I expect it to be and I also want to know the exact specification and options list this time. Is anyone planning to jump in early like last time? To be honest, at the moment I'm leaning towards not ordering one at all unless (however unlikely it is) there is a Euro GT350. I think there are better ways to spend what will probably be close to £45k+.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few already have, but I'd be with you.

The nature of the beast is, people don't come on here or FB and say "My car is okay". They moan; and given the sheer number of cars sold, and the number of us posting, the quality issues can't be all that bad.

That all said, I'm mulling the idea of selling up myself. I've covered only 600 miles since October and don't find myself getting in the Mustang over my daily as I... well, I don't know. I just don't. Out of sight perhaps, or just laziness. Either way, a 2018 car wouldn't be my first choice until I could physically touch one, drive one and maybe kick it a few times to see if the oil cooler exploded... ;)

This is NOT to say I'm disappointed in my car, but I am overly cautious about puddle lights, oil, water, panel gaps, paint quality... the list is unfortunately long for such an iconic, and "they should know how to build cars by now" Pony Car. Odd, isn't it?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
For those who don't own a Mustang, its very hard decision indeed to make. MY17 you know what your getting and out the box its a better looking car!

MY18 is still an unknown, all that is known so far and guaranteed is:
- Droopy front-end, though from some angles it looks great, others not so great.
- Every other angle its better looking particular the rear.
- EU/UK will get new DI/PI engine and expect it to be 435-460HP (If they break the header again then be around 435HP)
- 6-speed AUTO no longer available, new 10-speed which has only had positive press and reviews.
- EU/UK will have front DRL's like US cars
- EU/UK will be Performance Package car, so we will probably get the current heavy GT wheels, but we might get the Forged ones but unknown.
- EU/UK, I believe might get an option to not have the big rear wing and a small lip style or no option, but unknown.
- EU/UK will all have digital dash I believe.
- EU/UK will all be premium interiors, unknown if we will get the carbon/suede package which looks awesome.
- EU/UK will get active exhaust option, unsure if it will be standard.
- EU/UK will get clear rear lights, which will function as current ones, so no sequential I believe.
- EU/UK is currently unknown about Magneride.

Not sure what if and what not being confirmed, but to drive it will be far better and as the front-end is such a highly discussed topic I am sure a Shelby front-end conversion that fits MY18 will be in the works.

I am going to wait to see one in flesh and drive a 10-speed before ordering this time as no rush because I already own a Mustang I am happy with so I can just sit on the fence.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW: EU/UK currently gets nothing more than fords marketing talking the My18 up. They say we'll get DRLs, Rear sequentials and the same car the US has... Is it practical to do that, probably not (Less options, easier build etc). Is it what customers want, yes.

as with all my18 stuff, I read it and just see speculation, much like football transfers I aint believing it until I see them in the shirt, with a number. :lol:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned 5 American made cars, an Oldsmobile Delta 98, a BMW Z3, a Mercedes ML270, a Chrysler Grand Voyager and a Jeep. All had expensive quality problems, over and over again, and I vowed never to buy American again.
But the lure of the cut price V8 that was the Mustang drew me in again. Now it is no longer a cut price V8 but a quite expensive car and has too many American style problems for my liking.

So I will not order a Mustang but a completely different car, a BMW i3 and keep my 240 bhp 9 year old Eos for a bit of fun.
Wait you weren't trolling you're actually getting an I3?

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I still have the 2.8 Z3 (48K Miles), a chipped 2.0 turbo EOS convertible (31k), a motorhome (28k), various bikes, a Zafira on the IOM (4k) and a Dacia Logan (18K). Enough to start my own scrapyard.

I might get a Mustang in the future, a cheap secondhand one to tinker with.
But now I fancy an electric car, nothing wrong with that you know.
Nope but a fking I3?! Scourge of the world, bleeding hate them, new tesla is around price range of a Mustang. Probably same size. (Model 3 starting c$35k)

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
When I sold my car back in March the plan was to order a MY18 at the earliest possible opportunity - but it's all wearing a bit thin now to be honest. I'm still reading about stuff, like the gearbox story [MENTION=25127]Spider[/MENTION] has posted, and I just don't think I can be bothered to put myself through the p:censored:ss poor Ford experience again - and certainly not for (probably) another £10k on the purchase price.
My experience isn't good and I'm not the only one. But I do love the car

A few already have, but I'd be with you.

The nature of the beast is, people don't come on here or FB and say "My car is okay". They moan; and given the sheer number of cars sold, and the number of us posting, the quality issues can't be all that bad.
I think you'll find that most of the people that post on this UK sub-forum, including a number that have reported issues since delivery, were posting on here a long time before their cars arrived in the UK. People such as myself. And didn't just start posting on here to trash the car.

I love my Mustang, it's cheaply made and has faults and the dealer network in my experience is piss poor.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
To add a bit of balance I've not any issues with my car or dealer, although not had it serviced yet

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
To add a bit of balance I've not any issues with my car or dealer, although not had it serviced yet
I'm still going strong to be honest. I've had a few blips, but to be honest, it's not dealer fault, they've been superb recently, really going up and up in my books. Underseal was fixed easily with little hassle (eventually), and my car still runs fine.

Mind you, Ecoboost seems to be having less faults, that's without saying about the Engine exploding over in the states which there may or may not be a fix coming for thanks to some wizardy from people that know way more sh1t about way more metal engine stuff than me :lol:
Sponsored