Sponsored

Beith Performance Parts Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Review

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I just got my Beith Performance parts carbon fiber steering wheel in the mail and did the installation this weekend and figured i would post up a quick review.

Upon buying the GT350 i was very happy with all aspects of the car, the only thing i had a minor gripe with was the steering wheel. My last car was an E92 M3 and IMO in that price range the M cars had some of the best steering wheels on the market. They were thick and substantial, nice shape and leather was high quality. After 800 short miles my alcantara already started to look a little tired, couple that with the thin steering wheel and i decided to make the upgrade.

I researched several different suppliers of the carbon custom wheels but ultimately ended up with Beith because from the pictures i had seen and the user testimonial everyone was happy. There were others out there for ~100$ less but ultimately since this one of the main components you interact with every time you drive the car i wasn't interested in taking a chance on a lower level of quality.

I placed my order with Tim, Carbon top and bottom, flat bottom, perforated leather on the sides, red 12 o'clock marker, and gray stitching (to match the regular 350 but i prefer the higher visibility that the red 12 o'clock marker gives). Tim from Beith is extremely good with communication answering all my questions and keeping me updated on status after i had paid. Total time to get the wheel was between 3-4 weeks, Tim PM'ed me with the shipping, shipped with a signature for security and packed the wheel extremely well ensuring no damage.

The installation was extremely easy, for anyone doing it CJ Pony parts has a great video showing how. Total time was about 20minutes for the install start to finish.

Now as far as the wheel itself goes, i was extremely blown away by the quality of the work. The stitching is perfect, the leather is tight with no buckling, the carbon fiber weaves are laid very straight with no bunching or buckling, the clear coat is smooth perfectly shaped, there are finger grooves in the back of the wheel. The bezels fit perfectly and flush with the new wheel. The level of quality is OEM quality for sure. No complaints.

While for me there are no negatives thus far i will give a couple of cautionary points:

1. the carbon fiber is extremely thick. It is thicker than my old M3 wheel for sure. For me i prefer the oversize vs. undersize but if you have smaller POTUS hands you may want to think twice about the carbon, it may be too big

2. I haven't experienced it yet but i could envision a scenario when doing track events that if you had sweaty hands there might be less grip on the carbon than traditional alcantara or leather. Again i didn't experience anything myself but it might be a consideration for a track heavy user.

Well enough talking, on to the pictures

E9CE32AD-3016-4078-A86A-C340B1712348.jpg

1B42D1E8-58D9-415B-ACD3-732CF16A0226.jpg
Sponsored

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mclaren 720s,X5,17 Raptor,c63s edeition1,1098SFS
So, I'm not the only one who thinks the OEM feels skinny and cheap.. Looks great. PM what something like this would set me back..

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Do you mind posting or PMing me the contact info. I am going to order one right away. That is beautiful.

OP
OP
dron_jones

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
OP
OP
dron_jones

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our cars obviously don't have any exposed CF anywhere. How does the wheel fit in as a stand alone. I'm struggling a bit with this...

On another note... I was in my 2017 Raptor yesterday and noticing how much nicer the interior is than the Shelbly, including the steering wheel! Option for option, they are similarly priced..

Sponsored
OP
OP
dron_jones

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our cars obviously don't have any exposed CF anywhere. How does the wheel fit in as a stand alone. I'm struggling a bit with this...

On another note... I was in my 2017 Raptor yesterday and noticing how much nicer the interior is than the Shelbly, including the steering wheel! Option for option, they are similarly priced..
Couple thoughts from my side. I agree on your top point about not having any carbon on the inside of the car. I struggled with this as well, while they do make some carbon kits for the inside of the car i felt they all look too aftermarket, and not the OEM look i was going for. I was looking for some subtle touches. One of the things i am considering is Carbon fiber inserts for the Recaro's, they go in near the head rest where the opening for the 5pt belts are. They would be more subtle and help tie things together. From there i was planning on doing a couple carbon accents externally. The mirror caps and a couple other low profile items.

As for your second point on the steering wheel. It wouldn't surprise me. The stock wheel on the shelby isn't bad but its nothing to write home about either. That being said the big difference between these two vehicles is the level of investment in the drivetrain of one vs the other. At the end of the day i'm happy they spent the money where they did on the shelby. Engine and Tranny are great.

thackl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple thoughts from my side. I agree on your top point about not having any carbon on the inside of the car. I struggled with this as well, while they do make some carbon kits for the inside of the car i felt they all look too aftermarket, and not the OEM look i was going for. I was looking for some subtle touches. One of the things i am considering is Carbon fiber inserts for the Recaro's, they go in near the head rest where the opening for the 5pt belts are. They would be more subtle and help tie things together. From there i was planning on doing a couple carbon accents externally. The mirror caps and a couple other low profile items.

As for your second point on the steering wheel. It wouldn't surprise me. The stock wheel on the shelby isn't bad but its nothing to write home about either. That being said the big difference between these two vehicles is the level of investment in the drivetrain of one vs the other. At the end of the day i'm happy they spent the money where they did on the shelby. Engine and Tranny are great.
Didn't mean to pick too much on the shelby, it is great! But the new Raptor is exceptional

sher-bant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Wow, my FIRST post and I've found some commonalities with you guys already...

I just picked up my 2017 GT350 (Ruby Red, black roof, no stripe, convenience package) last Saturday. I too am "semi"-retiring my 2011 E92 M3 for this Ford. And so far the one thing I called out about this new ride is the steering wheel. I guess once you're used to the M3 wheel, you're ruined for life.
I'm psyched to see I have options.

I'm looking SOOOO forward to customizing/modifying/tuning/tricking out/PIMPING this car! I knew there were a ton of aftermarket items for the Shelby, but I cant believe how much!

I ALSO have the new 2017 Raptor, and I also noted that the Shelby had a much "lesser" interior than the Raptor. I see that as a good thing. To me it means that ALL of that money went into the engineering, the engine and top quality performance parts. The interior is cool as hell, just not plush like a high-end Audi or Beemer, etc. True, for over 60K you usually get the killer leather, etc, but WTF!?? This is an American muscle car with so much bang for the buck, who fucking cares? Its AWESOME!

I think I'll hold off on changing the steering wheel for now, but I like having the option.

Robbys3m3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow..love the wheel!