Sponsored

50th Limited Edition value

agile

Threads
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some opinions.

I may have an opportunity to purchase a 50th limited edition Mustang. I'm wondering if you guys think these will retain value a bit better than the regular 2015 years down the road? The only other recent Mustang I can think of that seemed to be a similar "limited edition" (by similar, I mean mostly appearance mods) was the 2008/2009 Bullitt, but they made around 6600 of those I believe.

I know that most new cars shouldn't be thought of as an investment. But being that this is the 50th anniversary and they're only making 1964 of these, do you think it has a good chance of maintaining a good portion of its value?

I've never bought a new car before, so I'm just kind of wary of losing a bunch of money on depreciation.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I think it will depreciate like any other car. It may hold its value better than the regular Mustangs, but it will depreciate. It isn't going to increase in value.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Like Colleton said, it will depreciate but I would definitely expect it to depreciate less than any of the previous special edition mustangs. The Boss seems to be holding value very well better than the GT500's I believe. The 50th LE is even more unique and if you can get one at MSRP or below your depreciation hit will be much less than those who bought over MSRP, in fact everyone who buys over MSRP will only help reduce depreciation from MSRP. If you buy over MSRP you might take a pretty decent hit since the 50th LE can be expected to depreciate under MSRP.

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
With any car that's bought brand new, there's always going to be about $2k lost from depreciation once you drive off the lot.
In regards to the LE, it'll probably hold its value better than the regular Mustang. Depending if it has low miles, kept in pristine condition etc..

For the 15MY, this car does have the advantage of having the PP in auto , so that might be worth something if they keep true to their word and never have the PP in auto in the 16MY and beyond.

That's one of the reason I hate all greedy dealers that have the nerve to charge anywhere from 5-25k over.

Heaven forbid some idiot on the road hits it and it gets totaled, the insurance will never pay what you paid for it, if its some crazy amount like in the 60's or 70's.

If you can get it for sticker then the price isn't that hard to swallow. If you like either the WW or KB and like all the features then it'll be well worth it.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
In my opinion, I think it will at least initially be close to the same as a closely optioned GT. It may fare a little bit better, but it won't be by leaps and bounds. It also kind of depends on what Ford adds as options to future Mustangs too. As it sits, you can get really close to the same thing with a few exceptions:

1. Exterior Color
2. Chrome DLO
3. Cashmere Seats (& door inserts?)
4. Dash Plaque
5. Louvered rear windows
6. Automatic w/PP

If Ford offers some of these options in the future, it could affect value because it will dilute the market. Now, that said, I could potentially see one being worth a decent amount in 10 - 15 years, especially with low miles and having been exquisitely cared for.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
With any car that's bought brand new, there's always going to be about $2k lost from depreciation once you drive off the lot.
In regards to the LE, it'll probably hold its value better than the regular Mustang. Depending if it has low miles, kept in pristine condition etc..

For the 15MY, this car does have the advantage of having the PP in auto , so that might be worth something if they keep true to their word and never have the PP in auto in the 16MY and beyond.

That's one of the reason I hate all greedy dealers that have the nerve to charge anywhere from 5-25k over.

Heaven forbid some idiot on the road hits it and it gets totaled, the insurance will never pay what you paid for it, if its some crazy amount like in the 60's or 70's.

If you can get it for sticker then the price isn't that hard to swallow. If you like either the WW or KB and like all the features then it'll be well worth it.
That will be the most valuable are bolded above in the quote He pegged it but....low mileage...that's no fun lol. I'm Driving mine Ill worry about resale in 20 years

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR

If you are using a loan, does your insurance offer GAP protection, if so then you should be fine. It might be the better way to purchase this vehicle if you drive a lot and if you don't mind having the payment and can get an extremely low interest rate. My loan is under 2% and some people have gotten even lower. And if you can get 0% financing you're golden. If you were planning on paying cash it might be best put that money aside in a separate account and have the automatic payments pull from that account.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
That will be the most valuable are bolded above in the quote He pegged it but....low mileage...that's no fun lol. I'm Driving mine Ill worry about resale in 20 years

Amen. Mine will be my daily driver.

That said, OP, there is no way to tell how they will hold value over time. Could be very collectible, could be a lame duck. Only time will tell.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Just look at the 50th Anniversary Corvette. Nothing more than a Lipstick Special with a 50th only paint job, special interior and they made a Ton of those things and they still sell for almost 40k with low miles.

From the Corvette 50th AE Registry.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
As with anything, it's worth what someone will pay for it, so find the right buyer when the time comes, but don't hope for much better than normal depreciation unless you have single digit mileage 30 years from now.

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
In my opinion, I think it will at least initially be close to the same as a closely optioned GT. It may fare a little bit better, but it won't be by leaps and bounds. It also kind of depends on what Ford adds as options to future Mustangs too. As it sits, you can get really close to the same thing with a few exceptions:

1. Exterior Color
2. Chrome DLO
3. Cashmere Seats (& door inserts?)
4. Dash Plaque
5. Louvered rear windows
6. Automatic w/PP

If Ford offers some of these options in the future, it could affect value because it will dilute the market. Now, that said, I could potentially see one being worth a decent amount in 10 - 15 years, especially with low miles and having been exquisitely cared for.
Don't forget the unique VIN

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
1 Opinions.

2 I'm wondering if you guys think these will retain value a bit better than the regular 2015 years down the road?

3 I know that most new cars shouldn't be thought of as an investment. But being that this is the 50th anniversary and they're only making 1964 of these, do you think it has a good chance of maintaining a good portion of its value?

4 I've never bought a new car before, so I'm just kind of wary of losing a bunch of money on depreciation.
1 LE-->Lipstick Equiped

2 Yes.

3 I would look elsewhere for an investment..."Value" are you asking if it will retain close to MSRP? No, but it will be worth more than a similarly equipped GT, how much more will be determined down the Road + How Ford market's the GT350 (Another Limited honoring the 65 GT350??) will weigh heavily on the LE's value-->IMO.

4 If you are worried about losing $$$ on depreciation, wait for used LE's to start showing up next year & beyond.

Personally, I ordered one because it's unique. With the WW Paint it won't be mistaken as just another "Anny Equipped/Packaged GT" by Mustang Enthusiast's, when spotted tooling around town.
IMO, the Kona will be confused with the DIB as an "Anny Packaged" model unless they are able to see the Louvered glass from a distance-->:bolt:

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I would love to have the anniversary edition but that would mean selling my Pontiac G8 GT most likely. It's one of the first 888 produced and one of about 40,000 ever made. A real collectors item;)

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I don't think it's an investment for the first 10 years. But after that, if you keep it really nice and under 10K miles, yes, it will be the 2015 Mustang to have and it will be the one bringing big numbers at Barrett-Jackson in 2050. But by then, my car will have turned to dust. It may have 300K to 400K miles on it by then, and I will be responsible for most of them. I can't pay extra for collectibility. I am going to use and enjoy the car, not just own it.
Sponsored