Sponsored

Debit Card Fraud - Purchases In USA

ShadowBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT S550 Shadow Black
Hi Guys,

Just a heads up to let you all know about my recent experience, I'll keep it brief.

As with any online purchase, there's a risk of online fraud.

I've purchased stuff from the big USA suppliers of Mustang parts with no issues at all. They have secure payment platforms.

However, on the most recent occasion I purchased some parts from a smaller supplier. I'm hesitant to provide the name of the supplier as it wasn't their fault as far a direct fraud was concerned and they had no deliberate wrong doing.

However, the fraud existed where the online payment method wasn't as secure a platform as the other larger suppliers. Even though the payment process system online looks as good as the larger providers.

So my payment details where skimmed by a third party during the transaction process.

I noticed an unusual transaction which occurred overnight in a North America, for a reasonably small amount.

However, going back over previous transactions on that same account it's evident there have been multiple transactions for small amounts over a period of time. The size not large enough to notice.

So I'm just going through the hassle of having a stop on my everyday debit card, reissuing a new card and getting the money credited back into my account.

The lesson I've learnt is continue to use the big players with secure payment processing systems for Mustang parts, which is unfortunate for the smaller providers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I have eight credit cards of which only two have a balance. Until a few months, all my cards were set up so that I'd be alerted of transactions over $200.

I recently received an alert from Citibank about a large purchase....over $4000. I hadn't used that card in almost a year. The hackers weren't smart enough to test the waters with a small purchase. They went right for the gusto. Citibank resolved the situation to my satisfaction.

I have now changed all of my cards including 2 debit cards so that I'm alerted of transactions over $50.

I'm also now in the habit of checking all my accounts on-line on whether I use them or not. I do this almost every day as part of my morning coffee and computer start up. It just takes a few minutes of my time each day.

OP
OP

ShadowBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT S550 Shadow Black
Good tips TOM C.

It's the fourth debit card fraud for me in as many years.

Once in the USA with purchases made in Canada
A second time in the USA with purchases in Mexico
The third time skimmed and purchases in South Africa
Another time in Australia.

On each occasion I wasn't even in the same country when the purchases were made.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Here's something else I've been doing over the last few years....

I prefer to use a debit card for everyday purchases. I have two...one debit card is associated with my checking account with a large balance and that's how I pay all my bills. I never use the card in public.

I've established a second debit card account that never has a balance of more than $1000 at any one time. That's my 'cash' and use it for everything that's not a debt....gas, cigs, food shopping, etc. It's replenished on-line frequently from my main checking account and I also monitor it daily.

This way, if there's ever a hack and for some reason I'm not alerted, the most that is at risk is $1000 instead of the other card which maintains a much larger balance.

Good luck.

AZStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium /Performance
I always use a credit card for online purchases, and then immediately pay that balance off through online bill pay through my bank.
Credit card fraud is much easier to deal with than debit card fraud.

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
PayPal ..... If they dont take it dont buy from them
Sponsored