Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Is your crankshaft, Camshafts, driveshaft / driveline, pinion gear, input and output shafts castled and pinned? :shrug:
Most of them, especially when you get into high HP applications use a deformed washer or safety wire.

Then there's the teardrops from Stage 8..
https://www.stage8.com/ford-performance-locking-fasteners/

I have a PP car that doesn't seem to have the issue. At least I didn't notice it when I rotated my tires two months ago. I have noticed an oscillation in the front after braking on the highway... it's rare, but it's happened more than once. Still tracking that one.
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Did 2 days at VIR last weekend and my drivers axle started popping and cracking again. Got a set of half shafts ordered and some new axle nuts. Hoping I can get rid of the noise again before it flies apart.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Checked mine yesterday. My driver's side took almost a half turn. My passenger side didn't take any.

SmokedSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Checked mine and both good.
I have the new style nuts to install but may just wait now.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Checked mine yesterday. My driver's side took almost a half turn. My passenger side didn't take any.
Wow, half a turn really?

That's a serious loss of clamping force. Good thing you caught it before it wiped a bearing out. :headbang:

Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Wow, half a turn really?

That's a serious loss of clamping force. Good thing you caught it before it wiped a bearing out. :headbang:
It was a bit concerning honestly. Especially since the other side didn't turn at all. Hopefully this takes care of a "wheel vibration" I had.

PROJECTeleven

KCCO DFW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
twentyseventeen gt/pp
I will be looking into this before taking it to the dealer. Notice mine popping and creaking on the passenger side mostly while reversing into the garage or slow tight turning.

Have the recall for driver airbag, so it will be going to the dealer nonetheless.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My mistake, the recall was for my 07 Roush.
That's a relief for us 6gen owners.

07's must be high on the list by danger level since age is one of the 3 factors. Of course, even the greatest risk is probably 1000 times less than injury from slipping in the shower.

Takata went belly up. Doesn't that mean the automakers are the where the buck stops for damages. Why aren't they jointly taking over the factories that were making the replacements? I think I saw one car maker offering $500 settlements, presumably for customers signing something saying they can't sue the car maker.

Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I will be looking into this before taking it to the dealer. Notice mine popping and creaking on the passenger side mostly while reversing into the garage or slow tight turning.

Have the recall for driver airbag, so it will be going to the dealer nonetheless.
Yes this is exactly what I have, I will be checking this on the weekend to see if it fixes anything

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Love seeing people helping each other out! Keep it up guys!

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a creeking noise that has developed over the past month on my drivers side. I was thinking it was suspension related. But now I wondering if it is the nut now. If I open the drivers door and bounce up and down on the door sill the car makes the sound. It does it over all sorts of bumps. I did it on the passenger side and no noise. What sucks is my commute back and forth to work is 140 miles round trip and 4 to 5 hours sitting in NYC traffic.

What size socket do i need for the Nut. I want to try and tighten it Sunday if I get a chance to check it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.