Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is Here!

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Thought we just focused on suspension? Drivetrain is our forte as well!

Steeda's S550 MT-82 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is a full factory shifter assembly replacement for your 2015-2016 Mustang GT or EcoBoost. Our race short throw shifter eliminates all slop and deflection of the factory shifter, and still retains the factory shift knob, pull-up style reverse lockout and backup camera functionality.

Product Benefits

- 30% throw reduction
- 20% lighter than the competition
- Eliminates slop and shifter deflection
- Shift knob sits 1" lower for ideal 'power shifting' position
- Top-loaded installation with adjustable springs, in-car assembly
- Retains factory pull-up reverse lockout, OE thread pitch, and back-up camera functionality
- Includes Steeda's shifter base bushing bracket
- Precision-fit bushings for a direct positive feeling shift
- Steeda blue anodized finish
- Lifetime Steeda warranty
- Made in the USA

Steeda S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter - GT | 555-7317
Steeda S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter - EcoBoost | 555-7318

With the replacement of your factory shifter assembly with our short throw shifter, you will notice a 30% reduction in throw between gears. Our shifter assembly will also lower the shift knob by 1", putting it in a better 'power' shifting position. Our Steeda S550 Mustang Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is quieter than the stock shifter during daily driving, although during race applications you may notice a slight NVH increase.

One of the great benefits to this shifter assembly is that it's completely top-loaded. Our short throw shifter for your 2015-2016 Mustang GT or EcoBoost comes with 2 different spring set options for a fully adjustable shifting experience. The kit comes complete with 2 medium-resistance springs and 2 high-resistance springs. The Steeda Tri-Ax has adjustable return springs to fit every drivers' preference on shifter feel. Using an offset spring tension ensures that you hit your 2nd-3rd gear change every time. Since our S550 MT-82 short shifter is top-loaded, once the base plate is mounted, you can change all of your springs, levers and other options all from inside the car without taking out the full shifter assembly!

Our Tri-Ax shifter features rigid mounting in the front and Steeda poly bushing in the rear, virtually eliminating slop and shifter deflection. With less deflection you will feel a much more direct gear change. The assembly is transmission and chassis-mounted so you don't get the 'walking' affect of a fully transmission-mounted assembly, all while still gaining a more rigid shifter feel. Factory shift shaft bushings are replaced with wider, high-quality machine-finished, low-friction bushings. Tolerances are controlled up to a half thousandth of an inch to ensure OE-quality fitment, alignment and shaft actuation. These features alone make our Steeda Tri-Ax one of the most positive feeling shifters on the market today. To top it all off, our Steeda Mustang GT shifter assembly includes Dynamat sound-deadening material to close out your transmission tunnel and ensures your S550 stays as quiet as the stock assembly.

Steeda's S550 Mustang MT-82 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter is manufactured from high-quality aircraft-grade aluminum making it 20% lighter than the competitions' shifter assemblies. The shift lever itself on our Tri-Ax is made from heat-treated and nickel-plated 4140 steel, making it the strongest part out on the market. All hardware is stainless steel for the highest corrosion-resistance possible. Included in our kit is hardware to tighten up the factory shift knob perfectly into a locking position. These parts have been put to the test on the street and the track and are proven not to bind under extreme conditions or temperatures.

Priced competitively at $439.95 and backed by a lifetime warranty, pick-up one of our Tri-Ax shifters today and shift with confidence!

Steeda S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter - GT | 555-7317
Steeda S550 Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter - EcoBoost | 555-7318
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Pure Sex right there. I like how you guys deviated from the other manufacturers 2 smaller 3/8" mounting points for what looks like one solid 1"+ Mounting point.

Well David I think my Barton has seen a few thousand miles so maybe it is time to swap it out for this thing.

Looks great. :clap2:

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What is this "walking" effect you speak of?

My Barton is Transmounted

When you are 100% transmounted your shifter rocks with your transmission. So given the case with our factory S550 Transmission the rocking motion is very noticeable on the factory set up. That is why Steeda and other manufactures developed the MT-82 Bushing. With the MT-82 Bushing installed you will get a little less rocking motion in your transmission which in turn you get a little less rocking motion in your trans mounted shifter but it is still there. When I was finishing up my installation I was surprised at the amount of rocking I was still having in my transmoutned shifter even with the MT-82 Bushing installed. Kind of made me wish I went with the 50% trans 50% body mount like the Factory shifter.

I believe this is what David is talking about? I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am?

Sponsored

RadRubyRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Can it be installed from under the car or top mount from inside the car?

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
You will have to get under the car

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
What is this "walking" effect you speak of?

[MENTION=15365]The Menace[/MENTION] explained it pretty well. A fully transmission-mounted shifter will move with the transmission. When the engine is under heavy power or goes from hard acceleration to an idle position, such as down shifting or hard braking, the engine will twist relative to the chassis.

When this happens, your transmission and the shifter mounted to it will move significantly in your transmission tunnel. This is not ideal for a consistent and predictable shifter when you're racing.

Our shifter is trans-mounted and chassis-mounted, with the chassis mount being our extremely firm bushing bracket. This eliminated the walking affect and also absorbs the vibrations from the transmission much better as well.

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Wasn't the impetus for the trans mounted shifter the fact that when the shifter is mounted to the body and the transmission "walks", the shifter does not move creating an alignment issue and thus the shifting problems people complain about?

Isn't a trans mounted shifter what was in place prior to the more recent mustangs?

Just a question, not tryiing to start a war.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Wasn't the impetus for the trans mounted shifter the fact that when the shifter is mounted to the body and the transmission "walks", the shifter does not move creating an alignment issue and thus the shifting problems people complain about?

Isn't a trans mounted shifter what was in place prior to the more recent mustangs?

Just a question, not tryiing to start a war.
The factory shifter is dual mounted to the trans and chassis. Our shifter is as well except we have stiffened all the mounting locations to limit the amount of deflection present. There are plenty of systems which utilize either school of thought, each has their pros and cons. But I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are no alignment issues with our race shifter and the shifting in it is phenomenal. We have tested this car on 700+ hp applications.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
thanks for the clarification. Just thinking out loud.

RadRubyRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT Premium Convertible
@David... Sent you a PM and email. Looking forward to getting this.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
God damn!!!!! This shifter looks bad as! If this tri ax is as good as my old new edge tri ax, I am all in!!!
Ready when you are :)

Pure Sex right there. I like how you guys deviated from the other manufacturers 2 smaller 3/8" mounting points for what looks like one solid 1"+ Mounting point.

Well David I think my Barton has seen a few thousand miles so maybe it is time to swap it out for this thing.

Looks great. :clap2:
Glad you like it, Danny! A ton of R&D went into this!

OMG!!! These pictures look amazing. Love THIS!!
Can't wait to see this bad boy installed in your car!

:headbang: Just found my next mod.
Sweet! These are ready to be ordered up, our promo code still applies!

thanks for the clarification. Just thinking out loud.
Hey no worries bud, happy to help! Feel free to keep the questions coming.

@David... Sent you a PM and email. Looking forward to getting this.
Replied, bud! PS, if you already have our Steeda shifter base bushing bracket installed, we will absolutely provide you a discount on the shifter: $399 without it.
Sponsored