Sponsored

Noise Coming From Rearend

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Hey guys. I recently have been getting noise from the rear of my car and I'm not sure what it is. To give some background before the noise started installed DSS axles, BMR lockout kit and had the 3.73 gears swapped for 3.31s by a reputable shop. I did all the work except for pulling the gears out of the carrier and installing the new ones. Everything seemed to have went smoothly and the car drives great. However, now when the car is cold (or at least this is the only time the noise is significant) when I start letting the clutch out and the wheels just barely move I get a single popping sound. It also does it every time I make a tight right turn into my driveway and the rear tires are on uneven surfaces. This is not to be confused with the transmission clunking sound that happens when it is put into gear. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Was the gear lash properly adjusted in the rear end?
I can't confirm that because I didn't install the gears but the shop does gears and driveshafts every day for over 20 years and I supplied them with all the appropriate stuff.

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Sounds like the torsen diff. Seems to happen a lot when half shafts are installed. Loosen axle nut and retorque both sides.

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Sounds like the torsen diff. Seems to happen a lot when half shafts are installed. Loosen axle nut and retorque both sides.
I'll give that a try

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The Torsen differential shouldn't make a popping sound. If the noise is actually traced back to the diff itself, then you should bring it back to the dealer. I'm not sure what impact loosening the axle nuts and retorquing would have on the differential...

Losobaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt w/PP
i have this same noise in my car, but i have stock axles. Only happens when i slowly let clutch out. and only when car is on the ground.

PROJECTeleven

KCCO DFW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
twentyseventeen gt/pp
Mine is making what sounds similar to the noise yall are talking about, popping and creaking.
Its been lowered with factory 3.73 and factory axles. Notice it mostly when reversing into the garage.
Mainly coming from the passenger side.