Mustang GT vs. Range Rover

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Kinda like asking your mom if it is okay to go skydiving naked. She's gonna say no.
Are you speaking from experience?? :lol:

On one hand I see your point but on the other....the insurance guy could have said...hmm...nothing in the policy about it I guess it's okay.

-Emt1581
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Half throttle ain't racing. Period. Its a crutch for cars with less than optimum performance.
Forget half throttle racing, I want to see which one would win if they kept it to top gear only... :headbang:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Insurance would do almost anything to avoid covering issues.

Track days (even though they are not timed), and typically not covered. There are companies that provide track day specific coverage, usually for a few hundred dollars per day.

AutoX would probably not be covered either.

The nice thing about AutoX is that you need a very poor course setup or very poor or unlucky driving to require insurance. They are typically very safe events (although I have seen people crash before, but not nearly as frequently as at a track day).

-T

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
You guys and the anti Range Rover comments... It seems apparent a lot of you have never owned nor driven one, on/off road.

Such a shame... , my 2010 RRS supercharged is a really, really nice ride that handles more like a sports car, goes off road like a champ (it has all terrain Terra Grappler G2's), luxurious, goes 0-60 in less than 5.3 seconds, comfortable for tail-gating and trips, and tows like an F-150. It's also my utility vehicle. It has an underrated 510HP supercharged 5.0L motor from the factory.

The ride is really, really smooth, but, yes, the cost of maintenance is a nightmare. However, see above for justification of said maintenance. Mine has 112k miles and is still going strong. My rover has never broke down on me over the 60k miles I have owned it. It's still stock except for the oversized all-terrain tires. Yes, I do take it off road.

I personally know it's faster than the new SVT Raptor.

Heck I even towed my new Ecoboost Mustang from the dealership with it!

The mustang is now the daily driver.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys and the anti Range Rover comments... It seems apparent a lot of you have never owned nor driven one, on/off road.

Such a shame... , my 2010 RRS supercharged is a really, really nice ride that handles more like a sports car, goes off road like a champ (it has all terrain Terra Grappler G2's), luxurious, goes 0-60 in less than 5.3 seconds, comfortable for tail-gating and trips, and tows like an F-150. It's also my utility vehicle. It has an underrated 510HP supercharged 5.0L motor from the factory.

The ride is really, really smooth, but, yes, the cost of maintenance is a nightmare. However, see above for justification of said maintenance. Mine has 112k miles and is still going strong. My rover has never broke down on me over the 60k miles I have owned it. It's still stock except for the oversized all-terrain tires. Yes, I do take it off road.

I personally know it's faster than the new SVT Raptor.

Heck I even towed my new Ecoboost Mustang from the dealership with it!
1T98ZE.jpg

The mustang is now the daily driver.
While there are certainly exceptions to every rule...and you seem to be part of the exception in this case... I would be willing to be that the vast majority of Range Rover owners view their vehicles more as status symbols that Bill and Bob or Becky and Kate at the office have so they needed to have one to...moreso than how you clearly have that well-rounded view and understanding of how it can and does function.

I'm sure there are forums like this one dedicated to the Range Rover enthusiast, but again, what percentage of Range Rovers could be considered a true enthusiast vs. the status-symbol crowd.

I can't necessarily compare you to the jerk I encountered but he was a guy...in a Range Rover...that clearly went out of his way to be a douche and all I can logically attribute it to was the type of car I was driving. That's all I can really say about him. But he sure didn't do anything to help the image of the Range Rover owner community.

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You know you're a Land Rover owner when you park your truck in different spots to ensure an even application of oil on your own driveway.

SolidZebra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Historically Ford has actually had a hand in Range Rover's technology...Range Rover was owned by Ford until 2008!

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
The shop I used to work at used to get RR's in ALL the time. It was hard to find one that came in without leaks. A lot of diff and trans issues that came in as well. And those are NOT cheap jobs what so ever haha. I will say though they seem to be on the up and up to a degree. Great looking vehicles, but I would personally never own one.

But I can't say much. The 3000gt is known for being a huge mechanics nightmare. I swear to god mine was in the garage being torn apart FAR more often than it was being driven. Every day was a new issue. Absolute blast when it was running, but a nightmare to work on, and you were ALWAYS working on it. It's sad when on the forums blown engines are so common that no one even cares or bats an eye anymore when a new one pops up lol.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Doug DeMuro has/had a hilarious series on Jalopnik about his used RR and the CarMax Warranty.........
Sure, there will be some with good RR experiences, but I get 4 car mags every month (C&D, R&T, MT and Automobile) and while they always "like" Rover products, they universally have reliability issues. Granted, they are fantastic off-road but 98% of them are "mall crawler" status symbols. The staggering depreciation is a tell-tale sign that owning a RR vehicle, outside of the warranty is playing with fire.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doug DeMuro has/had a hilarious series on Jalopnik about his used RR and the CarMax Warranty.........
Sure, there will be some with good RR experiences, but I get 4 car mags every month (C&D, R&T, MT and Automobile) and while they always "like" Rover products, they universally have reliability issues. Granted, they are fantastic off-road but 98% of them are "mall crawler" status symbols. The staggering depreciation is a tell-tale sign that owning a RR vehicle, outside of the warranty is playing with fire.
Yup, I've been watching them over the past year or so.

He always gives the tally but I think he paid something like $3k-$6k and it's already needed around $20k in repairs!!

I wouldn't take an old LR/RR if you gave it to me. Money pits. Can't speak for newer ones.

-Emt1581

Sponsored

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Well, I will say I don't have any oil, transmission fluid, or differential fluid leaks from my 2010 RRS S/C that has 112k miles. I have heard the older rovers did leak oil from the rear engine seal a lot. However, the newer ones like mine don't seem to have those issues any more. I've owned 2 other 2006 model Range Rover Sports. The second one I owned had 99k miles when I traded it in. It didn't leak any oil either. That was a supercharged 4.2L V8.

That being said... my old 97 4.6L Thunderbird started leaking oil at 100k miles. The differential on my old 2003 SVT Cobra started leaking as well at 30k! All of 2003 Cobras had leaky differentials due to that IRS. I remember having to add a Billetflow brace and reseal the diff. What a pain!

Yup, it's a mall crawler...
DHkeyQ.jpg

qGVltf.jpg

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Well, I will say I don't have any oil, transmission fluid, or differential fluid leaks from my 2010 RRS S/C that has 112k miles. I have heard the older rovers did leak oil from the rear engine seal a lot. However, the newer ones like mine don't seem to have those issues any more. I've owned 2 other 2006 model Range Rover Sports. The second one I owned had 99k miles when I traded it in. It didn't leak any oil either. That was a supercharged 4.2L V8.

That being said... my old 97 4.6L Thunderbird started leaking oil at 100k miles. The differential on my old 2003 SVT Cobra started leaking as well at 30k! All of 2003 Cobras had leaky differentials due to that IRS. I remember having to add a Billetflow brace and reseal the diff. What a pain!

Yup, it's a mall crawler...
DHkeyQ.jpg

qGVltf.jpg
Somebody is/was artillery. :)

Hooah from a former F.O.
Sponsored