Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Yeah 7:16 at the ring is just terrible. Absolutely inadequate.
You trust Chevy after they sent a hot z28 to MT? No, I am not impressed with an imaginary Ring time.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ing-aint-got-actually-dont-mean-thing-period/

At a minimum, that ZL1 had a full cage.

I told you from the beginning, the regular ZL1 does not provide sufficient equipment. After I reported the ZL1 1LE merger, that was a major complaint. It wasn't going to put a safe distance between it and the 350. As reported, the base ZL1 simply lacked the equipment to be feared.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the best deal out there is the SS 1LE. Especially since coming MY you can get it in the 2SS trim. If someone didn't mind the sight lines in the SS it is clearly the way to go for a value track car and even as a performance DD. Look at that pic. Tied the 350R at half the price from what most go for. it's also at least 20k less than most 350's go for, period.
The best deal for a value track car IMO is an older Miata or Fox Mustang. SS 1LE is expensive. Even a used 'vette would be a better value track car IMO.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
The best deal for a value track car IMO is an older Miata or Fox Mustang. SS 1LE is expensive. Even a used 'vette would be a better value track car IMO.
I thought it was clear I was talking about new cars. The 1LE is an exceptional value for the performance and Chevy backs their warranty even at track days. Pretty good deal for someone who wants an out of box car they can DD and track and not worry about things breaking.

Last edited:

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Yeah 7:16 at the ring is just terrible. Absolutely inadequate.
Garbage Motors has been misleading people for years with their magic numbers and RINGER cars that they love to put out.both cars were done on the same day same time,and it clearly shows the zl1 BARELY beat the N/A GT350 R.:lol:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Not much difference, considering the horsepower advantage of a 1 liter larger displacement engine thats supercharged. Add 150hp to the R, and lap times easily swing the other way.
And add the 1LE package to the ZL1 and you'll get the same. The sport cups alone are a big difference.

This comparison made no sense to begin with. An SS 1LE vs a GT350 TP would have been more interesting.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I thought it was clear I was talking about new cars. The 1LE is an exceptional value for the performance and Chevy backs their warranty even at track days. Pretty good deal for someone who wants an out of box car they can DD and track and not worry about things breaking.
Ehh, I'd still buy a Mustang over the 1LE. I don't like the matte hood. The rims are too large. The sight lines aren't good. I like to be able to see the road in a track car.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Miata is a great track car, but a completely different experience from an SS 1LE. Miata's are quick with a good driver, but a similar driver will be WAY faster in a Camaro and will be fast enough on the straights to actually pass people. The Miata requires cooperation from other drivers.

Fox Mustang....I would not chose that as a road course car, unless I was going to really modify it. The Camaro can be easily driven to the track and home, similar to a GT350. There is something to be said for a car that doesn't require constant attention to be track worthy (but also something to be said for one that does).

A used vette would be a great track car, can't argue with that. Just watch for oiling issues.

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Miata is a great track car, but a completely different experience from an SS 1LE. Miata's are quick with a good driver, but a similar driver will be WAY faster in a Camaro and will be fast enough on the straights to actually pass people. The Miata requires cooperation from other drivers.

Fox Mustang....I would not chose that as a road course car, unless I was going to really modify it. The Camaro can be easily driven to the track and home, similar to a GT350. There is something to be said for a car that doesn't require constant attention to be track worthy (but also something to be said for one that does).

A used vette would be a great track car, can't argue with that. Just watch for oiling issues.

-T
All points good and correct. The nice thing about buying an older, cheaper track car is more budget left for mods, consumables, track days, etc. Also, if your track car isn't your daily you can afford to break or go off.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fox Mustang....I would not chose that as a road course car, unless I was going to really modify it. The Camaro can be easily driven to the track and home, similar to a GT350.
Agreed. You could write a blank check to MM or Cortex and still have a flexi-flyer chassis and relatively low limits on wheel width. Chassis-wise, you'd be better off starting with an early S197 GT, especially if being able to drive it to/from the track is a requirement.

Norm

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I think the best deal out there is the SS 1LE. Especially since coming MY you can get it in the 2SS trim. If someone didn't mind the sight lines in the SS it is clearly the way to go for a value track car and even as a performance DD. Look at that pic. Tied the 350R at half the price from what most go for. it's also at least 20k less than most 350's go for, period.
Totally agree. It also has a big NA setup potential. You can do more weight savings with exhaust, shaft, wheels and add cam setup, full exhaust, and E85. For about 10 grand it can be a track monster.
Sponsored