Sponsored

150+ mph

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
Sadly, yesterday was probably the last day I enjoyed the mustang until spring. I was out cruising and there is a long stretch on a local highway so I ripped into it. Somewhere around 165 mph I'm guessing. Yes, I know I'm dumb but I'm a speed junkie and sometimes you have to let all the horses run. Afterwords, I'm thinking what happens if you get clocked at that speed? There's always posts on here about getting clocked the usually 10, 20 maybe 30 over but you never hear anything that extreme (usually because normal people don't do it). Anyone have any real life experience with it? Just curious and bored at work lol. And please spare me the "take it to the track or you could have killed someone". It was a highway with a median and guardrails with no houses or anything in sight meaning the only person hurt if something happens is me.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Sadly, yesterday was probably the last day I enjoyed the mustang until spring. I was out cruising and there is a long stretch on a local highway so I ripped into it. Somewhere around 165 mph I'm guessing. Yes, I know I'm dumb but I'm a speed junkie and sometimes you have to let all the horses run. Afterwords, I'm thinking what happens if you get clocked at that speed? There's always posts on here about getting clocked the usually 10, 20 maybe 30 over but you never hear anything that extreme (usually because normal people don't do it). Anyone have any real life experience with it? Just curious and bored at work lol. And please spare me the "take it to the track or you could have killed someone". It was a highway with a median and guardrails with no houses or anything in sight meaning the only person hurt if something happens is me.
Uh... 150 mph in a 55 mph or 65 mph zone? It depends on the state and the officer. Ultimately, it's the officer's decision on what to do.

For NC, if it's over 90 it can't be reduced in the court of law and if your second ticket in one year is over 75mph, your license is suspended for 1 year automatically.

Again, state speeding laws vary, but if you were clocked exceeding 100 mph, some common penalties are: *

- a fine, often exceeding $500
- some jail time
- points on a license (usually ranging from two (2) to four (4) depending on jurisdiction
- suspension
- mandatory driver's education

Of course, as with all infractions, if you are a repeat offender, the higher the chances of a stiffer sentence and the more possibility your charge will be increased to a felony offense. Also, with repeat offenders a judge will be less likely to agree to any type of reduced sentence. In addition, there is a hidden expense -- *the higher cost of insurance once your insurance company learns that you have been convicted of excessive speeding.

Twinguin

just a little Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Website
s76.photobucket.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible
You guys need to go to Germany!!
You can get the Mustang up to the speed limiter on the Autobahn easily. Officially that's at 250km/h (155mph), but GPS said I did 260km/h (160mph). :headbang:

And I was a bit astonished how well it behaved (it did have the big brake kit, which is mandatory for those speeds). And after a week in Germany I can stand Michigan roads for a while again.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
A felony charge, loss of driving privileges, termination of insurance policy and having your car seized and destroyed.

That's the starting point, and gets worse from there.

A person local to me did the same kind of thing in his C7 Z06, got popped at 170 in a 65. He's currently serving a 5 year prison sentence and loss of drivers license for 10 years. The Z06 was destroyed and he had to liquidate his finances, house and other assets to pay the $225,000 in fines.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
A felony charge, loss of driving privileges, termination of insurance policy and having your car seized and destroyed.

A person local to me did the same kind of thing in his C7 Z06, got popped at 170 in a 65. He's currently serving a 5 year prison sentence and loss of drivers license for 10 years. The Z06 was destroyed and he had to liquidate his finances, house and other assets to pay the $225,000 in fines.
Given the extent of his offense, my question now is: Why did he stop at all? If you get popped at those speeds, you might as well keep going and GTFO of there... lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants

Holy shit. Listen I understand it's dangerous and dumb and all that but unless that guy was going 170 mph through traffic or a busy neighborhood, that seems WAY OVERBOARD. Hell, you see people with attempted murder get way less than that.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Holy shit. Listen I understand it's dangerous and dumb and all that but unless that guy was going 170 mph through traffic or a busy neighborhood, that seems WAY OVERBOARD. Hell, you see people with attempted murder get way less than that.
I suspect there's more to this guy's story than just this offense. My guess is he was already in trouble for his driving/speeding and this was the final straw.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Society is so against speeding and aggressive driving, yet the manufacturers make cars that will easily go 150 mph and people pay a premium to buy these cars. If you make a car that fast people are going to drive it to the limit, if you are out on the highway in the middle of the night when no one is around and you get caught you should just get a fine and be on your way. Now if excessive speed was in an urban area with lots of cars and people around then the penalty should be more harsh, impounding someone's car and destroying it then putting that person into financial hardship to pay a fine is total BS. If they are going to go to that extent all vehicles on the road should be governed to 60 mph as a top speed problem solved, but they won't do that as they can't generate income from tickets.:frusty:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I suspect there's more to this guy's story than just this offense. My guess is he was already in trouble for his driving/speeding and this was the final straw.
It was.

He had two priors for 40 over as well as a prior at fault accident due to reckless driving.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
It was.

He had two priors for 40 over as well as a prior at fault accident due to reckless driving.
That makes more sense. Their punishment is still pretty harsh, unless he really hurt someone in that accident.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I got pinched at 115 in a 65 zone back when I was just out of college. Trooper gave me a $50 ticket for doing 75.

That was back in the 70's when they didn't have points so it was pay they ticket and move on.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Society is so against speeding and aggressive driving, yet the manufacturers make cars that will easily go 150 mph and people pay a premium to buy these cars. If you make a car that fast people are going to drive it to the limit, if you are out on the highway in the middle of the night when no one is around and you get caught you should just get a fine and be on your way..:frusty:
I don’t have a problem with speeding so much especially on an empty road. It’s the aggressive and reckless driving that’s got to go as it potentially puts others in danger.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase

"The Z06 was destroyed...."

Implies he WRECKED at those speeds. WRECKING a car at those speeds is much different than simply getting popped speeding. I got pulled by a trooper on I-95 South probably 5 years ago. I was on my YZF600R. Late night / early into morning hours. Middle of the week. Almost ZERO traffic. He was merging onto the interstate as I passed by doing @120mph or so.

He lit me up and I pulled over. His first question - after getting over the initial shock that I wasn't a young kid, was "Why the hell did you pull over?"

He wrote me for 20 over I think. I showed up to court, no prior tickets, clean record etc. Paid $175 I think? They reduced it to something less, but regardless - found out that state did not at the time share data with VA - so didn't effect my license / insurance.

Reactions: Ebm

Twinguin

just a little Fury
Threads
Reaction score
Website
s76.photobucket.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Convertible

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So, that's the official recommendation?? :clap2:
I'm friends with a lot of LEOs and former LEOs. What many jurisdictions don't want motorcycle riders (and cars to some extent) to know is that MANY of them (lawyers FTL) have internal policies AGAINST vehicle pursuits. Some places (more than you'd think) aren't even authorized to pursue motorcycles and some will break off, or not even start, pursuits if any vehicle is exceeding a certain speed. Again, liability, insurance and lawyers.

Not to mention that the first thing to get cut when a locality is having budget issues is law enforcement training - such as high speed behind the wheel training.

Not to mention the Chargers are absolute PIGS when it comes to pursuits. Most officers I know prefer the Taurus - after pulling the ABS fuse which disable certain electronic "nannies" among other things.
Sponsored