Sponsored

1st/reverse lockout when COLD

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Just wanted to get a feeler out here for anyone else who has experienced occasional first gear and reverse lockout, strictly in cold temps.

I picked up my car July 2016 and drove it all though the winter and never had an issue. Ever since 6,000ish miles (new clutch and shifter install), I am getting fairly consistent lockout whenever it is below 40 degrees out after having the car sit 8 or more hours.

We ruled out MGW shifter, we bleed the clutch an excessive amount of times by two separate Ford ASE techs, have a new throwout bearing, and even replaced the trans/diff fluids with BG syncroshift products.

Is this just the quirks of the MT-82 transmissions rearing their ugly heads. Perhaps having a direct mount MGW shifter is exacerbating what may have always been there? After about 5-10 mins of driving it always goes away. Just super annoying given the fact that I only commute 2 miles to work with about a dozen lights/stop signs on the way.

I'm starting to really consider ditching this transmission for a tr6060/magnum XL. It just pains me to do so after dropping serious coin on the driveshaft, shifter, clutch, and labor.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I have an RST and an MGW with BG fluid and it is only difficult to get into reverse after the car has sat for a while. No trouble with any other gear.

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have an RXT, MGW and BG fluids and have never had lockout issues of any kind. Those mods were installed last winter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Just a thought, would it be possible the dealer set the clutch engagement point incorrectly, which would lead to grinding and shifter lockout? I'm thinking with going to a heavier pressure plate, perhaps the clutch engagement would need to be set slightly different than stock.

This new Mach 600 clutch does have an engagement point much closer to the floor than the stock clutch had.:shrug:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I have no issue with getting into reverse or 1st when cold. -15ish C. However, when cold my aftermarket lockout collar does does not like to drop on its own.

I am quite sure though that is because I am using a Barton lockout collar with a steed shifter. Have a steeda lockout collar arriving tomorrow, so we will see.
Sponsored