Sponsored

Spring install question

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I have springs on the way and want to get ready for them by tearing down some so once I have the springs, I can install an throw back together. I am doing both front and back and want to know which is harder to do? I am assuming that rears will be harder. Either way I figure I'll start with the harder side first and get some of that time out of the way while I await their arrival. Thanks
Sponsored

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
Front is harder, you need a spring compressor. The rear is really straightforward once you drop the subframe (not both sides at the same time).

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Fronts are definitely harder.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Good to know. Guess I'll start taking the fronts apart first. =)

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
It also helped to have a single action spring compressor like the CJ Pony videos.

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
You need a spring compressor to take the front's off, but depending on the spring you probably won't need it to put them back on. My gt350R springs which are a very minimal drop could be put on by hand.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I went with minimum drop springs from BMR. I have a spring compressor, guess I'll see how it does. If it doesn't work I know a garage that would hook me up.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You don't need a spring compressor. Just unloaded it on the car. It is safer also.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I went with minimum drop springs from BMR. I have a spring compressor, guess I'll see how it does. If it doesn't work I know a garage that would hook me up.
You will definitely need a compressor to install the BMR minimum drop springs as well as remove the OEM springs. Make sure you have a good compressor, the cheapies won't compress nearly enough.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
You don't need a spring compressor. Just unloaded it on the car. It is safer also.
I'm curious how you disassembled the stock front strut/spring assembly and put the aftermarket spring around the strut without a spring compressor. Also how it's safer swapping springs without a spring compressor.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'm curious how you disassembled the stock front strut/spring assembly and put the aftermarket spring around the strut without a spring compressor. Also how it's safer swapping springs without a spring compressor.
I guess you could support the spindle with a jack and loosen the top nut and slowly lower the spindle for the spring to decompress.
When you install the new spring do the same slowly jack up the spindle and align the shock rod into the shock top mount.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The front has more work in terms if disassembling and re-assembling the strut, but I think the rear is harder on account of having to mess with the IRS mount bolts.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I guess you could support the spindle with a jack and loosen the top nut and slowly lower the spindle for the spring to decompress.
When you install the new spring do the same slowly jack up the spindle and align the shock rod into the shock top mount.
I'm sure it's been done that way a million times...and I'm sure there's been at least a few times the spring has shot loose and either broken a brake line or an arm/hand bone. :headbonk: IMO, $40 to buy a spring compressor (or less to rent one) is mandatory money well-spent.

Relevant story: About 10 years ago I wanted to drive a cement nail into a cement wall to hang a light on the patio. Easy stuff, right? The cement nail was about 1/4" in diameter and had a large head on it about the size of a pea. I was not wearing safety glasses. It's one freaking nail...what could go wrong?

About halfway through driving the nail in, I guess I hit the head wrong and the head snapped off, bounced off the concrete wall and hit me in the right eye. It was pain on a level I'd never felt before and it knocked me to the floor. I could not open my right eye and there was blood in my hand. And I could not locate the nail head on the floor...it had to be in my eye. I was convinced I had just lost my eye.

Turned out the blood was from my cut lower eyelid, where the nail head was loosely lodged and I pulled it right out. The the white part of my eye was red from the impact and I had blurred vision for a few weeks. Obviously The Fates decided I would not lose my eye that day. Since that day I don't drive a screw, sand a piece of wood or use any power tool without safety glasses on. I mow the grass with safety glasses on too.

Let's just say that day with the nail was a wake up call of immense power and I take no shortcuts with safety anymore.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
i would highly suggest the single action type compressor for the front, the ones you rent from autozone dont like to fit with the perch

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels