Sponsored

How to install 4 channel amp to factory 8" stereo

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
So now that I'm out of the game and sold my Tesla unit, I'm looking to just do a standard amp install. I already have subs wired to a LOC, now I'm looking to add more power to the interior.

Has anyone added an aftermarket amp to a Premium and bypassed the factory amp?

Is there any write ups on how to do this?

I was thinking of going with this harness which is plug and play.

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...ucts/ford-aftermarket-amplifier-audio-harness

My last question, how do I run the speaker wire to the speakers? Can I unplug the existing amp wiring and tap into them? I did that on my last car and it worked just fine.
Sponsored

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
Has anyone added an aftermarket amp to a Premium and bypassed the factory amp?
YES

Is there any write ups on how to do this?
YES

Search is your friend.There are numerous threads here outlining what is involved.Most put the amp in the rear.I put it in the factory location as to keep the wiring as short as possible not to pick up any noise.In the sticky of this section are all of the schematics for the wiring.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25501
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58862&highlight=audio

There are many more,I suggest reading and then more reading before you jump in and end up with disappointing results.

Jeff

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That harness won't work on the premium system. The speaker signal coming off the headunit is already low level and any processing is done on the factory amp. That part is for a base unit, won't work here.
this actually does work with premium cars, makes for no cutting or splicing of the factory wires, Im using one to get the low level signal to an aftermarket sub/amp combo in a Premium 401a car, and FYI, there IS a bit of phttp://www.mustang6g.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=1826068rocessing done by the ACM, its not solely done at the amp level

Last edited:

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
@hexstalls550, he makes a harness for $35

Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I'm thinking of waiting for this thing. If they take too long maybe I'll get that harness thing.

[ame]

Last edited:
OP
OP

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
Thanks for all the replies. I did see most of those other threads. My biggest concern is how to tap into the factory wiring to get the signal. Some have said to use the output after the factory amp to get a signal, but Im not experienced enough to know how to tap an audio wire into the amps rca inputs.

I have installed maybe a half dozen stereos and amps over the years, but nothing on such a new car with factory head unit. I have always had aftermarket head units with rca outputs, easy breezy. This is a whole new ballgame.

Ill message dude about that $35 cable. That would be awesome. If I can get something that gives me rcas so I can run them to the amp, the rest is easy. But I also liked the option of just replacing factory amp altogether but Im pretty sure my amp won't fit in the kick panel, but I can work something out.

My last car I replaced the head unit so just ran the rca to the amp in the trunk. Then I unplugged factory amp speaker wires and just tapped into them so I didn't have to run wire.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm thinking of waiting for this thing. If they take too long maybe I'll get that harness thing.

That's a band-aid. And I don't trust Metra hack engineering. The solution to all of this is KISS. Seriously the more junk you throw in line with the signal the more degradation you're going to get. So change two lines in your ACM's ABD and use a proper harness and be done with it.

Last edited:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Thanks for all the replies. I did see most of those other threads. My biggest concern is how to tap into the factory wiring to get the signal. Some have said to use the output after the factory amp to get a signal, but Im not experienced enough to know how to tap an audio wire into the amps rca inputs.

I have installed maybe a half dozen stereos and amps over the years, but nothing on such a new car with factory head unit. I have always had aftermarket head units with rca outputs, easy breezy. This is a whole new ballgame.

Ill message dude about that $35 cable. That would be awesome. If I can get something that gives me rcas so I can run them to the amp, the rest is easy. But I also liked the option of just replacing factory amp altogether but Im pretty sure my amp won't fit in the kick panel, but I can work something out.

My last car I replaced the head unit so just ran the rca to the amp in the trunk. Then I unplugged factory amp speaker wires and just tapped into them so I didn't have to run wire.
Send me a PM, I can help you through the whole process it's really pretty simple.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
That's a band-aid. And I don't trust Metra hack engineering. The solution to all of this is KISS. Seriously the more junk you throw in line with the signal the more degradation you're going to get. So change two lines in your ACM's ABD and use a proper harness and be done with it.
When Hextalls550 speaks radio, I'll listen. Besides, I'm not 100% sure that thing will work even though metra seems to think it will. I just have to look up how to hack the ACM lol. I know I read the instructions for it around here somewhere :p

Sponsored

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
After changing the two lines in ABD, where does one obtain a "proper harness"?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
After changing the two lines in ABD, where does one obtain a "proper harness"?
If someone makes a $35 harness that plugs into the factory wiring, then grab it! Otherwise, the parts to make your own are listed in the two links posted by Racemaster...

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
[MENTION=20499]mumbles[/MENTION] What post are you speaking of?

I figured the harness out weeks ago, all the info is in the Sync 3 thread. Ive been building the harnesses and doing pin swaps.
You need 2 connectors from Yazaki, 2 2.8mm terminals from Yazaki and 10-12 .64mm terminals from Tyco. The problem with doing these is that you may be asked for an LOA (via Ford) in order to purchase the Tyco terminals for the Yazaki connector and the only place to get Yazaki parts is direct from SMD who's minimum order is $50, that's enough parts to make 6-7 harnesses.