My upgrade plan for the base 6 speaker system

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Here's my upgrade plan - I'd love to hear feedback and recommendations, especially on what brands to avoid or steer towards...

I'm looking to get more oomph and clarity out of the system. I want to be able to clearly hear my music when on the highway with the windows down, but I don't want it so loud that other cars can hear it. I listen to rock - mostly 90's & 2000's alt rock. I'm looking to get the most bang for the buck I can get.

I bought the harness and programmer from OEM radio, so I'll have low level out with the factory programming gone. It has RCA's for outputs, and will not require cutting any factory wires.

I'm planning on getting a 5 channel amp, with something in the 50-75 watt/channel range. The amp will go in the empty spare tire well.

I'm going to stick with the factory speakers for now. If needed, I can change out the fronts easy enough.

I am not planning on going with a sub right now. I fly RC aircraft, and I use the trunk space.

I will be getting this installed, and I'm thinking I should be able to add the amp for somewhere below $500. Again - any brands to avoid? One place was recommending Phoenix Gold, but I had one a few years ago and I've had some issues.

The second step, if I need more improvement would be to replace the front speakers. Recommendations?

The final step would be to get a sub, but I'd really rather not use the real estate for that. Or, would it make enough of a difference to go ahead and get one like the factory sub that I should get it installed when the amp goes in?
Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Check out the zenclosure boxes. It fits in the space where the seats go down. The downside is that you can't lower the seats but you have the full trunk. Also their single box includes an amp rack. Stick with name brands. Can't go wrong with JL if you can swing the price.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I don't think you're going to like the factory speakers even with an amp, they're pretty bad. If they cost $5 I'd be shocked. Even a mid tier relatively inexpensive set of speakers will sound a LOT better. I also wouldn't be shocked if you blew your factory speakers with an amp that powerful. These speakers are NOT designed to handle a lot of power.

I'm kind of partial to alpine speakers myself, but there are a lot better out there if you have the money.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you're going to like the factory speakers even with an amp, they're pretty bad. If they cost $5 I'd be shocked. Even a mid tier relatively inexpensive set of speakers will sound a LOT better. I also wouldn't be shocked if you blew your factory speakers with an amp that powerful. These speakers are NOT designed to handle a lot of power.

I'm kind of partial to alpine speakers myself, but there are a lot better out there if you have the money.
So will an amp on factory head unit with better speakers be a significant improvement?

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
So will an amp on factory head unit with better speakers be a significant improvement?

There's been a few guys who've gone the route you're looking at, I think most of them like the results over the factory setup. Might want to chat with a few of them for their first hand experience. I'm in a similar bind but with the 9 speaker system. It already has low level output, I'm just trying to decide if it's worth keeping the headunit or if I should just bite the bullet and replace it with everything else.

I'd start with the amp and speakers and see what you think. And hey if you find you don't like it, scorche and metra now make replacement kits for the base radio so you can put in a new headunit. You'd already have a really good base to run a new headunit off of if it came to it. Just leave yourself enough slack on your rca's to reach the back of the headunit... just in case.

Sponsored

mspenc45

mspenc45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sound quality

The sound system is the only thing so far i do not enjoy with my new GT350. Then again, I don't turn it on much as I just love listening to the car, but it would be nice to have a good sounding system in such a fine car!

I think sound systems are a little like an acoustic guitar, however, you really have to hear the set up to know if you like it. Not sure how to achieve that.

OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
The factory radio does a lot of weird processing and if you can remove it, it would probably be a lot cleaner sound.. I don't remember if OEMRadio's thing does that or not.

Yes, OEMRadios programmer removes all of the factory processing, provides a low level output, and allows all other functions of the radio to continue to work.

I haven't used it yet, but spent a good bit of time chatting with him on the phone.

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I have the same base set up and went through similar steps. I too purchased the harness and programmer from OEM. The harness makes it very easy. I would tell you to test the voltage on the audio outs as for some reason my radio did not accept the programming. I fried an amp as I did not test and ended up feeding speaker level, over 9v into a line level input... I did a 5 ch amp, JL XD700 feed to stock speakers. For me it just amplified the sound I was dis-satisfied with. I swapped out the fronts and had an immediate improvement. I played around with several sub configurations and ended up with a JL TW3-10 in a sealed enclosure. Both amp and sub are in the spare tire well so it is invisible. I also tried a JL 8" micro sub in the spare tire well and the output was great but I just like the sealed sound more so I went in a different direction. Good luck with the build!

wjfawb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm in the same boat with a base 6 speaker system. I may one day buy the OEMRadio harness and programmer to add an amp, but for now, would just upgrading the factory speakers make a significant difference?

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The factory speakers are Pioneer. They cost Ford less than $2.00 ea. Can't say how I know, I just do.
Id recommend anyone into Audio to have a look at SQ_S550's thread. Trying educate people in that thread.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I went with a whole JL Audio setup with the amp in the trunk and their Stealthbox. Got the harness from OEM Radio too along with a SYNC3 upgrade.

I would upgrade the speakers as the OEM ones are crap and amp'ed will be terrible. I was looking into some sub boxes and if you decide to go with a sub, the JL Audio Stealthbox did it for me as I want to utilize the trunk space and will need to put my back seats down from time to time. I think there may be a member on here selling a used JL Stealthbox, may want to search for it.

Some old pics (not done with cleaning wires):

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a whole JL Audio setup with the amp in the trunk and their Stealthbox. Got the harness from OEM Radio too along with a SYNC3 upgrade.

I would upgrade the speakers as the OEM ones are crap and amp'ed will be terrible. I was looking into some sub boxes and if you decide to go with a sub, the JL Audio Stealthbox did it for me as I want to utilize the trunk space and will need to put my back seats down from time to time. I think there may be a member on here selling a used JL Stealthbox, may want to search for it.

Some old pics (not done with cleaning wires):

The price on that stealthbox about took my breath away.

Maybe I won't be upgrading audio afterall :(...I'd rather that go to MGW, more tires, tune & tuner, etc.

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
Here is what I recently did to upgrade my base 6 speaker system. Audio is subjective and everyone has different needs but this met mine and every person who has sat in the car has provided positive feedback.

I made the box myself for the sub and did all the wiring and installation. I used high level inputs by cutting/soldering the OEM wiring behind the head unit with 16awg/9 conductor cable to and from the amp. I am about $500 all in. Most parts and components came from Amazon or eBay. Amp and crossovers are installed under the passenger Recaro seat.

Amplifier = Soundstream Pn5.640d
Front Components = Polk DB6501
Rear Deck = Polk DB651
Sub = Alpine SWT-1052 in a. 5cf sealed enclosure.

Hope that helps....

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I recently did to upgrade my base 6 speaker system. Audio is subjective and everyone has different needs but this met mine and every person who has sat in the car has provided positive feedback.

I made the box myself for the sub and did all the wiring and installation. I used high level inputs by cutting/soldering the OEM wiring behind the head unit with 16awg/9 conductor cable to and from the amp. I am about $500 all in. Most parts and components came from Amazon or eBay. Amp and crossovers are installed under the passenger Recaro seat.

Amplifier = Soundstream Pn5.640d
Front Components = Polk DB6501
Rear Deck = Polk DB651
Sub = Alpine SWT-1052 in a. 5cf sealed enclosure.

Hope that helps....
Pics? This is in the affordable range.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
How much of a difference do you think that huge cap makes?
Sponsored