Sponsored

Storage/Oil Change question

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
I've been storing my LE for the last 9 months. I keep it garaged, under cover with a trickle charger attached to the battery.

After about 6 months I started her up and was told the oil needed changing. That seemed odd as I had it changed just prior to putting her to bed. I got the oil changed and now about 3 months later I checked and sure enough the oil life percentage is going down substantially without driving her.

So obviously there's a time element involved in the oil life left calculation. I follow the mfrs instructions pretty close. I don't change oil sooner (as many others her do) but never later than recommended. I get it done at the dealer so it's semi-synthetic or whatever they call it.

It seems odd that oil just sitting in the car would go bad in roughly 6 months. Who knows how long it sits in the bottle at the dealer and it is semi-synthetic.

My question to those storing their cars, do you wake up the car just to change the oil after it's been sitting ~6months? Just curious what others are doing.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It shouldn't unless you forgot to reset the oil change reminder.
The S550 reminds you to change oil every 12 months or 10k miles whichever comes first and no oil sitting shouldn't go bad as fast.
You can always reset the oil meter if you want.

OP
OP
pjk

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
Thanks. I'll have to start writing numbers down to really be sure. Maybe my boys are sneaking out in the Stang while I'm out of own. Another reason to document miles and dates.

y2ksilverbullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 GT 5M, 2001 DHG Bullitt, 2015 GT 50 YR LE A6
I just changed the oil for the second time on mine a couple of weeks ago. The Oil Life Reminder was at 0% @ 947 miles and it had been just over a year since the first change @ 473 miles. Ultimately it doesn't matter unless your are flogging it to death when you do drive it and then you might want to change it more often. I drive pretty spirited, and hit redline every once in a blue moon, but once a year for me is probably all I will be doing since it is in the garage a lot. Just keep an eye on the oil levels and you should be fine. :cheers:

Drmetcalf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
50th Anniv Limited Edition Mustang 1607
After two years and 700 miles I changed oil and filter. The software suggested a change at around 650. I usually get it out on the road for a short run every month.

AlyourPal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
Of course you could send some to blackstone, especially if it's just sitting in your garage. Really see what's going on with it.
Sponsored