Sponsored

Sync2 -> Sync3

dtxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CompOFiveO
Anyone with a premium 2015 successfully swap to Sync 3?

I'm seeing a lot of info on going from a base model -> Sync 3 but not a whole lot for Sync 2 -> Sync 3. If it's not too cost-prohibitive I want to do the swap just for carplay.
Sponsored

Phantom24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT PP
Contact OEM Radio. He is very professional and he can help you with the components and installation instructions. He tends to get very busy so give him a chance to get to you before you jump ship.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
:ford:
Anyone with a premium 2015 successfully swap to Sync 3?

I'm seeing a lot of info on going from a base model -> Sync 3 but not a whole lot for Sync 2 -> Sync 3. If it's not too cost-prohibitive I want to do the swap just for carplay.
I'm looking into the same thing. I really want to swap from sync 2 to sync 3. It's not cheap that's for sure. OEMRadio is your man for a plug in play swap.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
as said contact Jesse [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] on this forum, his email is [email protected]

OP
OP
dtxstang

dtxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CompOFiveO
Thanks! Will shoot him a message.

Sponsored

raider5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 5.0 SSP coupe, and 15 Gt w/PP
You need a screen/apim. It plugs right in to the sync 2 premium connections. May need programming if you cant find one from a Mustang. For Carplay to work you need a new USB hub and power connector (WPT-1239) and of course 2.2 Sync 3 update.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Hey man! I actually am in the process of doing the swap from Sync 2 to 3! I already received my screen+APIM. I am waiting for the GPS antenna to come in. Once I get those parts, I will swap out the unit in the console. Theoretically, the Sync 3 is just a drop-in if you have Sync 2 already, and if you can get a Sync 3 unit from a Mustang (otherwise you need it reprogrammed). If you will put in the non-Nav unit, you don't need a GPS antenna, but you will lose compass functionality. And you cannot use the existing GPSM in your car because the compass will not work properly. Android Auto will work without the new USB hub, but CarPlay will not, so if that is important to you, you will need a new USB hub for the armrest compartment. If it is not important, you can skip replacing the hub, but you will get a USB error on screen each time you start the car. So, here is a list of parts that you need:

1. The screen/APIM with Sync 3 and the 2.2 software update if you want to have Android Auto/CarPlay support

2. GPS antenna with a Fakra connector. I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142081702637?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3. (If you want CarPlay support) USB hub: HU5Z-19A387-A (make sure you get the single port version, which is the part number I put here. The two port version will cause the front USB port to not work, if that is important to you)

4. The USB hub above uses a different pigtail. This is the part number: CU2Z-14S411-AA (WPT1239). Basically will have to tap into the current one for power. Or you can get the connector per [MENTION=22823]X0AYHAM0X[/MENTION] suggestion below. See more here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199

Anyways, that is how much I can provide you. I hope to swap everything in within two weeks.. I still need to find the pigtail, but they are stupid expensive so I might go a different route. If you have questions, let me know! I will help out once I finish mine! :cheers:

Last edited:

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
Hey man! I actually am in the process of doing the swap from Sync 2 to 3! I already received my screen+APIM. I am waiting for the GPS antenna to come in. Once I get those parts, I will swap out the unit in the console. Theoretically, the Sync 3 is just a drop-in if you have Sync 2 already, and if you can get a Sync 3 unit from a Mustang (otherwise you need it reprogrammed). If you will put in the non-Nav unit, you don't need a GPS antenna. I think you still need to disconnect the GPSM module because otherwise the compass will not work correctly. Android Auto will work without the new USB hub, but CarPlay will not, so if that is important to you, you will need a new USB hub for the armrest compartment. If it is not important, you can skip replacing the hub, but you will get a USB error on screen each time you start the car. So, here is a list of parts that you need:

1. The screen/APIM with Sync 3 and the 2.2 software update if you want to have Android Auto/CarPlay support

2. (If you get a Nav unit) GPS antenna with a Fakra connector. I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142081702637?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3. (If you want CarPlay support) USB hub: HU5Z-19A387-A (make sure you get the single port version, which is the part number I put here. The two port version will cause the front USB port to not work, if that is important to you)

4. The USB hub above uses a different pigtail. This is the part number: CU2Z-14S411-AA (WPT1239). Basically will have to tap into the current one for power. See more here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199

Anyways, that is how much I can provide you. I hope to swap everything in within two weeks.. I still need to find the pigtail, but they are stupid expensive so I might go a different route. If you have questions, let me know! I will help out once I finish mine! :cheers:
you still need the GPS antenna even if you got the non nav unit, the antenna is for the compass to work.
as for the pigtail you can use the aftermarket cheap alternative: https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Pair...id=1487235387&sr=8-5&keywords=4+pin+connector

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
you still need the GPS antenna even if you got the non nav unit, the antenna is for the compass to work.
as for the pigtail you can use the aftermarket cheap alternative: https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Pair...id=1487235387&sr=8-5&keywords=4+pin+connector
Thanks for the info. I didn't know you needed a new antenna even for just the compass...Which makes sense. And that's the cable I'm thinking of going with as per your suggestion to me in another thread :cheers:

OP
OP
dtxstang

dtxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CompOFiveO
Hey man! I actually am in the process of doing the swap from Sync 2 to 3! I already received my screen+APIM. I am waiting for the GPS antenna to come in. Once I get those parts, I will swap out the unit in the console. Theoretically, the Sync 3 is just a drop-in if you have Sync 2 already, and if you can get a Sync 3 unit from a Mustang (otherwise you need it reprogrammed). If you will put in the non-Nav unit, you don't need a GPS antenna, but you will lose compass functionality. And you cannot use the existing GPSM in your car because the compass will not work properly. Android Auto will work without the new USB hub, but CarPlay will not, so if that is important to you, you will need a new USB hub for the armrest compartment. If it is not important, you can skip replacing the hub, but you will get a USB error on screen each time you start the car. So, here is a list of parts that you need:

2. GPS antenna with a Fakra connector. I got this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142081702637?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

4. The USB hub above uses a different pigtail. This is the part number: CU2Z-14S411-AA (WPT1239). Basically will have to tap into the current one for power. Or you can get the connector per [MENTION=22823]X0AYHAM0X[/MENTION] suggestion below. See more here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199

Awesome, thanks!! Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. :cheers:

Sponsored

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have done the swap from Sync 2 MFT to Sync 3 as well as the hub switch for Car Play successfully. Total cost is around 1700.00 or so depending on your path and what the new units are going for now that they are likely way more abundant.

OP
OP
dtxstang

dtxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CompOFiveO
I have done the swap from Sync 2 MFT to Sync 3 as well as the hub switch for Car Play successfully. Total cost is around 1700.00 or so depending on your path and what the new units are going for now that they are likely way more abundant.
Good to know, thanks. Where did you get the unit & hub from?

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Good to know, thanks. Where did you get the unit & hub from?
I got the hub and WPT1239 from Tasca Parts. The Sync3 unit I got from an online site but I should have gotten it from Jesse (OEMRadio). He ended up programming it for the online company anyway (because he is an exceptional person) so I should have purchased it directly from him. Never making that mistake again.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
So I got the Sync 3 unit and GPS antenna installed. Everything works as it should! Still waiting on USB hub and the power connector, but that is for the armrest compartment, so I put the dash back together. If you need help installing, I can give you some pointers.

OP
OP
dtxstang

dtxstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CompOFiveO
Awesome!! Yeah I'll definitely let you know if I run into trouble. Is there anything you think I should be aware of, or was it a pretty straightforward install?
Sponsored