OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
GoPro video from the headrest of, I hope, the same session as the above video.

[ame]
Sponsored

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Some new updates and I'll have pictures soon I'll be at AMP (@Stoli, too) is this coming weekend. Stoli will be in a higher class than me but I gotta say, I look forward to seeing another S550 run hard at AMP! Unfortunately... haven't yet when I've been there. :(

Anywho, I took a trip down to Steeda in Valdosta last Friday and got the following installed/done. Sometimes you just have to let someone else do it.
- Steeda Dual Rate Comp springs (OMFG amazing!!!)
- Through-bolted my differential with 9/16" upgraded hardware (I got slightly more NVH as a result with my aluminum inserts, keep that in mind, but not objectionable). No, I did not have bent or broken bolts! I did it because I stripped the threads in one of my front IRS bushings - I used someone else's Snap-on fancy pants bendy head torque wrench which allowed me to get in a narrow spot (front side of the front differential bushing by the gas tank) and it clearly was way out of calibration or just not working, I don't know... turns out it wouldn't even click on 85 ft. lbs. Welp, learned that the hard way. And, before anyone jumps at me, absolutely yes, I got the idea from Kelly at BMR, and I have no qualms about giving credit where credit is due for the solution that solved my particular issue.
- Got me some 305 square NT01s and brought them home. I don't think I'll use them until Camp Steeda (Memorial Day weekend) or maybe GridLife (August). Determined at Steeda I'd need an 8mm spacer up front and of course extended lugs, so that's on order
- Also got me a refined alignment. I did NOT like 0 toe up front, which is what I had prior, so I got 1/16" up front and same in the back. -2.5 front camber and -1.8 rear, which is a little shy of as far as my car will go in the rear.

Mind you, I have 4 Nitto NT01 tires in the car in this preliminary photo, so the back is a wee bit weighed down I think, but here's the car on the Dual Rates. It's not a super low drop, but damn... it's perfect for me. Just perfect. Without a bunch of added weight in the car, wheel gap is dead even.
16996279_10101738617224347_6311407682681293160_n.jpg

Last edited:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Red

I've used 8 mm or 5/16" spacers on two of my ponies on all 4 corners. Some say it's risky but I keep an eye on the torque and have not had an issue in 4 years of use.
tn_DSCN1283.JPG

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Some new updates and I'll have pictures soon I'll be at AMP (@Stoli, too) is this coming weekend. Stoli will be in a higher class than me but I gotta say, I look forward to seeing another S550 run hard at AMP and hopefully! Unfortunately... haven't yet when I've been there. :(

Anywho, I took a trip down to Steeda in Valdosta last Friday and got the following installed/done. Sometimes you just have to let someone else do it.
- Steeda Dual Rate Comp springs (OMFG amazing!!!)
- Through-bolted my differential with 9/16" upgraded hardware (I got slightly more NVH as a result with my aluminum inserts, keep that in mind, but not objectionable). No, I did not have bent or broken bolts! I did it because I stripped the threads in one of my front IRS bushings - I used someone else's Snap-on fancy pants bendy head torque wrench which allowed me to get in a narrow spot (front side of the front differential bushing by the gas tank) and it clearly was way out of calibration or just not working, I don't know... turns out it wouldn't even click on 85 ft. lbs. Welp, learned that the hard way. And, before anyone jumps at me, absolutely yes, I got the idea from Kelly at BMR, and I have no qualms about giving credit where credit is due for the solution that solved my particular issue.
- Got me some 305 square NT01s and brought them home. I don't think I'll use them until Camp Steeda (Memorial Day weekend) or maybe GridLife (August). Determined at Steeda I'd need an 8mm spacer up front and of course extended lugs, so that's on order
- Also got me a refined alignment. I did NOT like 0 toe up front, which is what I had prior, so I got 1/16" up front and same in the back. -2.5 front camber and -1.8 rear, which is a little shy of as far as my car will go in the rear.

Mind you, I have 4 Nitto NT01 tires in the car in this preliminary photo, so the back is a wee bit weighed down I think, but here's the car on the Dual Rates. It's not a super low drop, but damn... it's perfect for me. Just perfect. Without a bunch of added weight in the car, wheel gap is dead even.
Good stuff buddy!

Sponsored

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Really nice car! On your alignment, I assume you went 1/16 toe out on the front and 1/16 toe in on the rear?

You should stop by Road Atlanta the weekend after AMP for a bit. If you wanted to, I could take you out for a session on Friday.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Really nice car! On your alignment, I assume you went 1/16 toe out on the front and 1/16 toe in on the rear?

You should stop by Road Atlanta the weekend after AMP for a bit. If you wanted to, I could take you out for a session on Friday.
I did not do toe out... I don't think. I can't remember without looking at the sheet but I don't think so.

Is that the Just Track It event? I plan to try and attend, but I may have to be at work and wouldn't be driving myself. Appreciate the offer - I'll take you up on it, haha!

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
What's your take on the springs? How's the ride on the street and handling on the track?

Curious to know the effect of this high of a rate...

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
On the street with my dampers they're stiffer than my Swifts but seriously not bad AT ALL. I quite like it actually. Track? I'm going to AMP Sunday. I'll be back with a review.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I like that Velox diffuser. It's on my "list". I've taken to playing with aero this year and rather than fabricate one I'll probably end up with their diffuser and the GT hood vents when they come available.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think Velox may have a "blemished" unit (some paint chips) still for discount.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I think Velox may have a "blemished" unit (some paint chips) still for discount.

I actually went ahead and picked one up yesterday. They were on sale for $369 so I couldn't resist, lol.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
AMP went well. All four wheels remained on pavement, no failures. Only scary moment was when my class was doing a "Red Flag Drill" where they throw up a red flag and see how you react, then we get brought in and have a quick lecture. Well, I think I missed seeing that at the tower or they threw it right after I passed said tower, and so I was coming around a corner at full speed and all of a sudden cars I didn't know were so close ahead (was catching up to them in that lap) were stopping off to the right smack in my line. A little pucker moment, but no issues. Unfortunately, during our recap after that drill, the next class was out on track and someone in a BMW 3-series crashed hard on the straight. Thankfully, for the driver, fully setup non-DD car (cage, seat, harnesses) and I think the driver is okay, but he was going pretty fast and he spun and threw parts and banged around almost all the way down the straight. Felt so bad. I decided I will go home while I'm ahead, even with one more session available to me.

Other than that, I bested my PB from my September 2016 visit, had some fun with a Miata that seemed to be a good match with my car (high power vs. high corner speed scenario), enjoyed showing a 550HP Vengeance Racing cammed C7 Corvette the ass end of my car (he said his car has more balls than he does, hahah... nice guy).

I like AMP. It's the sort of track that works for me. I like technical over speed. But we'll see how I fair at Road Atlanta later this year which should be much faster.

Again, though, the Conti DW tires... UUUUUG. In the wet, fine and dandy. Once it's dry, skip skip, roll over themselves... UUUUUG! I'm learning from them... but... not a fan.

My TrackAddict app (or the phone) kept freezing or not recording sessions (sometimes not at all or just the the whole thing like a dash cam without times) so I didn't get all of my runs (again). So I just picked this one and rendered the video of it. Shows the set up Miata I had some fun with that session. When I'm behind traffic (where there was a lot of that day, unfortunately), I don't really go as gung-ho as I suppose I can... no real point. But, I got down to 1:40 at one point in this session. This run was 1:41.5 if I'm lining things up right. I used a different layout, which I like better, but didn't realize I lost the timer with it. Not in the mood to redo it.

[ame]

Oh, I did experience a fuel cut out issue on the last turn (high speed) going on to the straight, which has been reported numerous times before. Filled the tank back up and it never happened again. That was annoying, as it upset the car at a point when I needed to maintain throttle for grip. Arg! Why doesn't Ford work these things out?!
Sponsored

Last edited: