Sponsored

Will we ever see an Automatic GT500?

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
Will we ever see another GT 500?
The following statement may be considered heresy.

Taking into consideration current and future CAFE standards, the gas guzzler tax and the fact that an automatic will definitely be more tractable and quicker than a manual transmission, any new GT 500 may be available only with an automatic.
i wonder if the gt500 has never come with an auto before becuase ford simply didnt have one that could handle all that hp and torque. the new 10 speed should be a different story since it is going in the raptor as well as the high performance camaro models.
Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Will we ever see another GT 500?
The following statement may be considered heresy.

Taking into consideration current and future CAFE standards, the gas guzzler tax and the fact that an automatic will definitely be more tractable and quicker than a manual transmission, any new GT 500 may be available only with an automatic.
Yep.

10 speed auto programmed properly, is the difference between another 3.4 0-60 time (like the 2013/2014 GT500) & possibly a supercar worthy 2.x second 0-60 time.

Under 3.0 puts you in with the big boys (911 Turbo, Z06, Lambo, Ferrari, GT-R, etc.). Seriously, you can't have a Ludacris mode Tesla SUV smoking you! Then again, it might not even be possible. Most are 4 wheel drive, and all are lighter..... (has me thinking aluminum body, might be the next thing to improve performance like they did with F-150)

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Do not anticipate significant increase of / transition to aluminum body panels until introduction of the S650.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Do not anticipate significant increase of / transition to aluminum body panels until introduction of the S650.
Yeah, I was hoping the new (2015) design had already been test stamped in aluminum during the designing, but was put off while they transitioned the F150 first at it is more popular and much heavier / less fuel efficient so it was in need of the transition first. But looking at models, the Mustang should probably be next at least in my opinion. Between popularity and being able to benefit from weight savings.

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
If there will be a GT500, there WILL BE an AT option! Ford knows that when it comes roll-out time, every automotive publication will be chomping at the bit to test it and we all know that all other things being equal, a modern day AT will best a manually shifted car. They will be looking to CRUSH any Camaro or Hell Cat at 0-60 and the 1320' sprint, and if an AT does that a couple of tenths quicker, then they will certainly make the option available...if that is they can find a combination that can handle all that HP torque...take it to the bank!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The auto will make it. Manufacturers have tricks like gear limited boost during the first 2-3 gears that can enhance Trans life.

unless ford can make the Gt500 as special or more so than the 350, they might not sell as many as they can produce like the 350.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
The auto will make it. Manufacturers have tricks like gear limited boost during the first 2-3 gears that can enhance Trans life.

unless ford can make the Gt500 as special or more so than the 350, they might not sell as many as they can produce like the 350.
They were only selling as many as they could produce for the first year.

I think the market is already saturated for GT350's.
2015 - 137 made (100 + 37 R's)
2016 - 6,000+- made (5,500 + 500 R's)
2017 - they're hitting showrooms and aren't moving like they were last year.

There are a ton of 16's still unsold (near MSRP now too). And quite a 2016 owners (and even a few 2015 owners) are now selling their cars, because they either bought a Tech pack that can't perform on the track with out overheating, or they bought a Track pack and really wanted more creature comforts.

2017's finally fixed those problems, but the demand seems to have all but dried up. All 5 of my local Ford dealerships have 2017 GT350's just sitting in their showrooms the past few weeks. One dealership actually has 2 of them. The only thing they can't really keep in stock is the R's.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are a ton of 16's still unsold (near MSRP now too). And quite a 2016 owners (and even a few 2015 owners) are now selling their cars, because they either bought a Tech pack that can't perform on the track with out overheating, or they bought a Track pack and really wanted more creature comforts.

2017's finally fixed those problems, but the demand seems to have all but dried up. All 5 of my local Ford dealerships have 2017 GT350's just sitting in their showrooms the past few weeks. One dealership actually has 2 of them. The only thing they can't really keep in stock is the R's.
IMO saturation is when they can't sell at MSRP and they start heavily discounting. Remember the Z/28? Many dealers don't have any GT350s and those that do - many of them are still asking over MSRP. Some dealers are still asking way over MSRP.

I've never seen a GT350 that wasn't already sold at a dealership around here - other than mine before I bought it. And I've only seen two (mine and one other) at a dealership.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
They were only selling as many as they could produce for the first year.

I think the market is already saturated for GT350's.
2015 - 137 made (100 + 37 R's)
2016 - 6,000+- made (5,500 + 500 R's)
2017 - they're hitting showrooms and aren't moving like they were last year.

Everyone thus far has sold without a single factory backed incentive. Yeah they're selling pretty good lol.

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
GM says they got the 10 speed to upshift as fast as a Porsche with the PDK transmission. That is great and all. But it is not a true dual clutch transmission. So it doesn't down shift as fast. Or allow you to go up, down, up, down, down, up as quickly as a dual clutch transmission. So it still is lacking what it needs to really compete with some higher end automatics.

The price of the dual clutch transmission is what has kept it out of the GT500 in the past. So has torque handling capabilities with reliability and warranties in mind. SOOOO unless dual clutch transmissions are becoming so affordable due to higher production I don't know that we would see a GT500 with an automatic.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
They should offer both. Let people decide.
This ^

Look at how much better the automatic Hellcat twins perform with the automatic. The Camaro ZL1 with the auto looks like it is going to be one hell of a street strip machine. If your primary competitors Hellcat and ZL1 offer it, I see no reason why the GT500 should not offer it as well.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If all one cares about is quickest to 60.......buy a Tesla. I am loyal to Ford specifically because they have resisted putting AT's in their performance cars. Porsche got an earful from their loyalists when they went PDK only for the GT3......then they release the 911R as manual only.....and they are now trading over $1 Million on secondary market. Granted, they only made 991 of them so they are exceedingly rare but MSRP was +/- $185K.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm surprised there are so many people supporting auto GT500. I dont even agree with an auto GT being produced, i hate the idea of an auto roush stage 3, let alone a gt500. I guess that could be because im 23. I'm sure when i can afford one i wont have the bones for a stickshift haha.
Age has nothing to do with it - unless you let it (and shame on you if you do). Less than a month from now there will be three times that many candles on my birthday cake, and neither my wife nor I wants an automatic even in the 4-door family sedans.

FWIW, I'm not grasping why anybody would think that driving a Lamborghini in full automatic mode would be all that impressive, unless being too busy making money to learn how to drive stick can somehow be mistaken as being a good thing in the overall scheme of life.

Norm

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
If all one cares about is quickest to 60.......buy a Tesla. I am loyal to Ford specifically because they have resisted putting AT's in their performance cars. Porsche got an earful from their loyalists when they went PDK only for the GT3......then they release the 911R as manual only.....and they are now trading over $1 Million on secondary market. Granted, they only made 991 of them so they are exceedingly rare but MSRP was +/- $185K.
screw tesla!!mustangs have a following.tesla does not.people have been doing mustangs for decades,father and son,or daughter.mustangers are a family world wide.i dont see groups of a hundred or so teslas meeting.:cheers::ford:

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Yeah, I was hoping the new (2015) design had already been test stamped in aluminum during the designing, but was put off while they transitioned the F150 first at it is more popular and much heavier / less fuel efficient so it was in need of the transition first. But looking at models, the Mustang should probably be next at least in my opinion. Between popularity and being able to benefit from weight savings.
I disagree with the statement of the Mustang needing to be next. The Mustang is number 7 in sales. Ford would see the most benefit moving to aluminum with a higher volume model which is a big reason they did the F150 first.

Look at the Ford sales for 2015
1. F Series - 780,354
2. Escape - 306,492
3. Fusion - 300,170
4. Explorer - 224,319
5. Focus - 202,478
6. Edge - 124,120
7. Mustang - 122,349

For example, if you save 1mpg average across the whole Escape line by moving to aluminum, you would have to save 2.5 mpg across the whole Mustang line to see the same benefit. With that said I hope they move to aluminum with the Mustang sooner than later just to see a weight reduction and performance increase!
Sponsored