Sponsored

rear deck lid hitting bumper

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Anyone else have this issue? The black plastic part of the reardeck lid is scraping the paint off the bumper on 1 side at the bottom left. I can't adjust the trunk any higher because it is not off there. It's only off at the bottom. I'm thinking maybe shimming the black deck lid further off of the sheet metal at the bottom of it may help. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The trunk lid is so off you have to almost off at the top to make sure its not touching at the bottom.
Align the bottom. Dont worry about the top.
Also the bottom lip should be just a little higher than the tail light so the trunk does not hit the plastic rubbing the paint off.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Anyone else have this issue? The black plastic part of the reardeck lid is scraping the paint off the bumper on 1 side at the bottom left. I can't adjust the trunk any higher because it is not off there. It's only off at the bottom. I'm thinking maybe shimming the black deck lid further off of the sheet metal at the bottom of it may help. Anyone else have this issue?
Sounds like you have already raised the trunk up some. I'd suggest raising it up even more to see how it looks all around. I raised mine quite a bit and surprisingly it seemed like the top stayed aligned pretty well for such a large change upward of trunk lid edge at the bumper. Can't hurt to try it.

You can also mess with the alignment of the trunk hinges if needed, but that's is a bit more tricky.

OP
OP

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Sounds like you have already raised the trunk up some. I'd suggest raising it up even more to see how it looks all around. I raised mine quite a bit and surprisingly it seemed like the top stayed aligned pretty well for such a large change up at the bottom edge at the bumper. Can't hurt to try it.

You can also mess with the alignment of the trunk hinges if needed, but that's is a bit more tricky.

How did you raise yours? The latch at the bottom?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you raise yours? The latch at the bottom?
Yes, there is a thread someplace that shows how to get the trunk trim off to gain access to the latch on the body side. There are two bolts that you loosen on the latch, and then you can raise/lower that side of the latch to raise/lower the trunk lid alignment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Yes, there is a thread someplace that shows how to get the trunk trim off to gain access to the latch on the body side. There are two bolts that you loosen on the latch, and then you can raise/lower that side of the latch to raise/lower the trunk lid alignment.

I'll give that a try this weekend.

Thanks!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll give that a try this weekend.

Thanks!
Also, after I adjusted the trunk latch the force required to close the trunk went down and it's much easier to close/latch. I'll see if I can find that thread for you and link it here.

OP
OP

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
For anyone wondering, this fix can be used whether your trunk lid is too low, too high, OR shifted left, shifted right. I performed this fix and then afterwards found out that I had shifted my trunk to the left way too far. Moved the latch further back toward the right and got it straight. Took me about 15 times of un-tightening/re-tightening the latch bolts to get everything perfectly lined up but if you take the time, this is a simple fix.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got it all realigned well. Did you notice if the trunk closes easier too? Mine did after I adjusted the latch.

OP
OP

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Glad you got it all realigned well. Did you notice if the trunk closes easier too? Mine did after I adjusted the latch.
never really had a problem with that in the first place, so no, about the same. :thumbsup:
Sponsored