Sponsored

Anyone know if the base GT's dash trim is aluminum underneath?

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
My base GT comes with that faux carbon fiber pattern dash trim. I read that the premium and performance package dash trim is actually plastic, with a thin aluminum skin and a patterned coating on top. People have been able to remove the pattern and scuff off the aluminum underneath to get a nice brushed aluminum affect.

I'm wondering if the dash trim on my base GT has the middle aluminum layer. It feels cold to the touch but I'm not sure. Does anyone know for sure?
Sponsored

RoninRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Prem. (PP) Magnetic
I wish I could get my hands on a CF for the PP because I don't like the pattern it came with. But I'm not certain about the aluminum thing

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
My base GT comes with that faux carbon fiber pattern dash trim. I read that the premium and performance package dash trim is actually plastic, with a thin aluminum skin and a patterned coating on top. People have been able to remove the pattern and scuff off the aluminum underneath to get a nice brushed aluminum affect.

I'm wondering if the dash trim on my base GT has the middle aluminum layer. It feels cold to the touch but I'm not sure. Does anyone know for sure?
Yes it is aluminum underneath that ugly pattern, even on base models.

BlackPony2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shadow black ecoboost
how would I go about removing the fake carbon fiber coating on the dash? ive tried removing it with a heat gun and i haven't had any luck with that.

OP
OP
Coconut

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
how would I go about removing the fake carbon fiber coating on the dash? ive tried removing it with a heat gun and i haven't had any luck with that.
I'd like to know this as well. I think I read somewhere to let it soak in Acetone for a bit and the coating will peal right off? If that doesn't work I'm guessing an orbital sander is needed?

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I just wrapped mine in the 3M dark brushed. Came out great and I can always just peel it off.
Where did you get this. I have the PP dash and it is abysmal ugly. Short of painting it the color of my car, thus making my car into a PT Cruiser, I figured I could wrap it with something. But I can't find a simple brushed stainless look like the 50th packages have.

Hmmm... maybe I should go wood grain, like that dark black/grey horizontal lined wood grain you find in audis. That'd be classy... :tsk: