Sponsored

Test drove 2016 2SS Camaro today compared to Mustang GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Paint issues are typical from GM. They stopped selling color matched door handles on their white trucks because they would come out with a yellow tint.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Here in MN...if you see a car or truck that has peeling paint...it's always a GM product...regardless of year.
Last year I bought a Silverado...because I was/and still am leery of the all aluminum Ford truck. Six weeks after taking delivery...palm sized pieces of paint on the cab top flaked off. The paint shop had to sand down the whole top to bare metal to get the new paint to bond correctly. The shop said they were getting at least a new truck a week in to repaint.
Why? You do know the frame is UHS steel, right? I was part of the launch team of that truck, so if you have questions most dealer sales associates can't answer, PM me.

Class 8 over the road tractors are predominantly aluminum cab, FYI, and have a 1,000,000+ mile design service life.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The Camaro has a lot going for it. Solid performance. I still like the exterior design. (Not love!) But it also has all the things still wrong with it that made me trade my 2011SS. The interior still sucks. And you still can't see out of it. Not to mention the price difference. You can make anything perform better. But you can't fix bad design. Hell with the new performance packs you can even keep your warranty if that bothered you before. As far as GMs quality. It's probably on par with Fords! Getting a quality mass produced car is a crap shoot. I was lucky with my GT. But how many people have complained about panel alignment? GM if your lucky. The paint will stick to the damn thing. I had paint issues with my 2011.

5lette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Manual
I don't think Ford owners can complain about paint quality of another manufacturer. I have never seen a car pick up paint chips as easily as my 16 GT. I have felt for along time that the thickness of the paint must be down and does not stick well on my mustang. I sort of feel like people who live in glass houses should not throw rocks on this issue.

Sponsored

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
I don't think Ford owners can complain about paint quality of another manufacturer. I have never seen a car pick up paint chips as easily as my 16 GT. I have felt for along time that the thickness of the paint must be down and does not stick well on my mustang. I sort of feel like people who live in glass houses should not throw rocks on this issue.
Rock chips and giant pieces of paint coming off are two different things. Rock chips, no matter how easily, are going to happen.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I have recently participated in a discussion on this exact topic...and I still feel sick to my stomach for praising the Camaro so much.

Camaro SS is a vastly superior performance car. This doesn't mean that people should like it better...but I'll just say that the Camaro SS made the biggest impression on me since the 5.0 Coyote came out sometime in 2010.

The 6th gen Camaro is the new benchmark for performance in this class. Everything else feels obsolete.

As for fit and finish, the complaints about orange peel, panel gaps, etc. on '15 cars were pretty universal. I don't know if that has gotten better for '16-'17 but it's hardly something that Mustang fans can lord over the Chevy folks.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I dunno, the 1SS/2SS is ALOT more powerful and I'd say the build quality is better than Ford. The only the Mustang has over the SS is price, exterior, interior design and heritage, which is actually alot. Let me rephrase that, the only thing the Camaro has over the Mustang is power and build quality.
I can't agree on build quality of any GM car. Both my Corvettes had paint runs and horrible orange peel. Shut lines were horrible and the front bumper was misaligned. You also have very limited visibility in the Camaro. my only issue with my GT350 is the rear bumper is not aligned properly. All other shut lines on my car are good and I have very little orange peel. It may just be less noticeable on a light colored car like my AG but I spent a lot of time 6" away from the paint when using my D/A and orange peel was minimum. I also fear the DI on the LT1. Di engines in general deliver more power but also tend to build carbon deposits a lot faster. It has yet to be seen how this will impact performance of the LT1 but Audi's and VW's have a ton of problems with carbon build up and these engines are DI.

I'm not a Ford fanboy. I have owned multiple GM cars including 3 Corvette's, a CTS-V, A Cruze (my son uses) and a 2002 Camaro Z28 that I loved.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I dunno, the 1SS/2SS is ALOT more powerful and I'd say the build quality is better than Ford. The only the Mustang has over the SS is price, exterior, interior design and heritage, which is actually alot. Let me rephrase that, the only thing the Camaro has over the Mustang is power and build quality.
455 versus 435 is ALOT (sic) now? 4% more power?

The bias is strong with you, my man.

I doubt I could even tell the difference with a 4% change.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I have recently participated in a discussion on this exact topic...and I still feel sick to my stomach for praising the Camaro so much.

Camaro SS is a vastly superior performance car. This doesn't mean that people should like it better...but I'll just say that the Camaro SS made the biggest impression on me since the 5.0 Coyote came out sometime in 2010.

The 6th gen Camaro is the new benchmark for performance in this class. Everything else feels obsolete.

As for fit and finish, the complaints about orange peel, panel gaps, etc. on '15 cars were pretty universal. I don't know if that has gotten better for '16-'17 but it's hardly something that Mustang fans can lord over the Chevy folks.
I laugh, harder and harder the more you post around here. The part that is underlined is the best:lol::lol::lol:

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
A lot of the S197 guys are like this. When they were outrunning 5th gen Camaros they were the sh!t. Now nobody talks about the S197 any more. So their suddenly Camaro guys.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
455 versus 435 is ALOT (sic) now? 4% more power?

The bias is strong with you, my man.

I doubt I could even tell the difference with a 4% change.
It's close on paper. And it's not like they're in different classes haha. But drive them back to back. You will definitely notice a difference. That being said, we have a pre owned 2015GT premium on our lot. Guy traded for a a new Camaro. Dang it sure is pretty......

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's close on paper. And it's not like they're in different classes haha. But drive them back to back. You will definitely notice a difference. That being said, we have a pre owned 2015GT premium on our lot. Guy traded for a a new Camaro. Dang it sure is pretty......
I noticed a difference when I went from 435 to 526 HP. I can tell you that. 455 is going to feel like less than 526, I'm pretty sure.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The TQ difference is going to be felt the most between the SS and GT vs. the HP difference. My .02.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I noticed a difference when I went from 435 to 526 HP. I can tell you that. 455 is going to feel like less than 526, I'm pretty sure.
I think you're forgetting something called torque.

Edit: ^^beat me to it
Sponsored