ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
OK , in theory ....

I buy a new set of wheels with tires and Ford TPMS all mounted.

I toss those in the trunk (and back seat, and passenger seat), drive to my friend shop and swap them onto my car.

Put old set back in the trunk.

Will the new TPMS learn correctly with the old 4 still inside the car ?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Sub'd - great question, curious too. Was wondering what has to be done for the new sensors to sync to the computer. I see AM adds an option for a TPMS sync tool for an additional $45, says it is required to sync sensor kit.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
How many times does this have to be repeated? You don't need the sync tool. I've bought two different sets of wheels with the TPMS installed and they both synced right away. Will they sync properly with your old wheels inside the car, probably, but it doesn't really matter since you are only going to be driving home in this situation.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Where can we buy extra sensors ?

Want to order wheels soon but want to keep my PP wheels intact for track days.

L8R
Joe

Sponsored

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
How many times does this have to be repeated? You don't need the sync tool. I've bought two different sets of wheels with the TPMS installed and they both synced right away. Will they sync properly with your old wheels inside the car, probably, but it doesn't really matter since you are only going to be driving home in this situation.
ugh, this did not work for my 2015... i drove on them for about a day and then the tpms warning came up on my mfd and didn't go away until i got the training tool from the dealer :(

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Okay I'll rephrase.
If you buy used 2015+ OEM wheels with original TPMS still installed then they will automatically sync up.
If you buy new wheels/tires with the proper TPMS already installed from a reputable vendor, like Tire Rack, they will automatically sync up.
Anything else and you might need the sync tool.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
my bad.

i tried on the aftermarket wheels that i kept from my old s197 with my old oem tpms sensors in them. someone here on this board claimed that his pre-2015 sensors sync'd with the s550 but it did not work for me. i was using a borrowed training tool from a friend in an attempt to sync them up but the car didn't recognize them at all.

so i put back on my 2015 wheels, went to the local ford dealership to buy new oem ford tpms sensors, and later had them installed by a tire shop. but the tire shop did not have a sync tool so i drove on them without any training.

about a day later after covering unknown mileage i got the warning on the MFD again.

i did not have the training tool this time, so i went back to the dealer i got the tpms sensors from and they used their sync tool to train them and they told me to come back when i switch to my winter tires.

i hate all these electronic nannies... i miss the days of carbs and leaded gas lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
Any reason not to pull the sensors from the old wheels and install in the new ones?

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
Any reason not to pull the sensors from the old wheels and install in the new ones?
just the stupid warning on the MFD that you have to reset with the OK button every time you start the car... i tried to ignore it but it got annoying after awhile :tsk:

Last edited:

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT