Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT Versus 2014 Mustang GT Comparison

MD

Threads
Reaction score
just when the s550 was growing on me .. these comparison photos here pop up

the rear of the '15 is a gorgeous, and that stance and interior of the '15 are just so much better. The performance.. and pretty much everything else about the car except the front face of it!

the '14 has that muscle look to it IMO.. the '15 is like this sexy japanese or european thing. not ugly by any means.. just less mustangish and more like a car that would perform elegantly on the track.

gonna go to the auto show in detroit in january to check out the car in person and then I'll be making the final decision on buying the '14. some nice deals on them right now
Sponsored

13GTCSMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR/GT/20's/NAV
Hey guys, on the first page, with the last 2 pics of the verts. Take a look at the engine emblem on the 15. Anyone else notice it says '0.5' and not 5.0!!! What's up with that??? Someone playing tricks on us? LOL.

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Pic was mirrored to have both cars point the same way...

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO

This is a great comparison pic.

I noticed from the specs comparison that the S550 has a much wider rear track compared to its front. It's 2.6" wider than the front. Both the '14 Mustang and '14 Camaro have the similar front-to-rear track width ratio (the 2014 mustang's rear is actually 1/2 inch wider than the front, which really doesn't make sense to me in some ways).

Is this just for aesthetic reasons of wider hips or an engineering decision? I get that roll stability is most affected by the track at the heavy end of the car and wider track gives better grip for cornering. Could this suggest that maybe the IRS has actually shifted the weight distribution to the back end and the much wider rear track is to compensate for that?

Please correct me if I'm totally off base here.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
This is a great comparison pic.

I noticed from the specs comparison that the S550 has a much wider rear track compared to its front. It's 2.6" wider than the front. Both the '14 Mustang and '14 Camaro have the similar front-to-rear track width ratio (the 2014 mustang's rear is actually 1/2 inch wider than the front, which really doesn't make sense to me in some ways).

Is this just for aesthetic reasons of wider hips or an engineering decision? I get that roll stability is most affected by the track at the heavy end of the car and wider track gives better grip for cornering. Could this suggest that maybe the IRS has actually shifted the weight distribution to the back end and the much wider rear track is to compensate for that?

Please correct me if I'm totally off base here.
Good questions. In one of the design vids Ford did say it was for aesthetic reasons - puffed guards, tough stance, kinda thing. There has been mention of the extra track width in other discussions but they never mentioned why it's wider from an engineering point of view. Not that I know of. Regarding the extra grip required for the extra weight, that has merit, but I don't know if there is extra weight brought on by the new IRS; with heavy use of aluminium it could still weigh the same as the SRA.

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Thanks Falcman. I do understand the rear track being wider for bigger hips from an aesthetic point of view but it's interesting to me that the ratio of the front to rear is so skewed now. There has to be some engineering reasons behind it I would think, or at least they must have considered the physics issues this would cause.

WRC

The front comparison makes me realize the S197's cabin and greenhouse is what makes it look so outdated versus the S550.

I love the more tapered greenhouse from this view. A lot of people have said it's more Aston like, I see little of it overall, but a LOT in this view.

and so glad it still looks like a Mustang. I'm sure it wasn't easy!

DJ

That's a great comparison WRC. The structure of the glasshouse does have some similarity and I actually prefer the Mustang's grille over the fish mouth of the Aston Martin.

BTW that color is awesome, I had to look it up... FORD scrap those 2 reds and offer one like this volcano red.

:love::love:

2yankeesoldiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
WOW! I will always remember it was this thread that pushed me over the fence.
I'm all in for S550.
And I have decided to keep my 06 until I break the new one in.

Second thought I'll always keep my S197. too much blood, sweat and cams into that one.

Sponsored

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Let's consider the performance of 2014 vs 2015 in acceleration. First, here is the extra weight over the 2014 model:

So what does that extra weight mean for acceleration? If the 0-60 MPH calculators are true, then to equal the 2014 model's acceleration, the weight gain of the GT with a manual will also require an extra 10 HP. The 2015 model picked up 15 HP. So the new 2015 is expected to have almost exactly the same acceleration as the 2014.

As far as the clutch, it's the same MT-82 as the 2014 model. As far as the gearing, looks like the same as the 2014 model also:

Note the above 2015 gear ratios are exactly the same as the 2014 Mustang gear ratios:

http://www.geigercars.de/fileadmin/images/content_images/Ford/Mustang/2014_Mustang/2014_MustangGT_Specs.pdf

So if the gearing is the same, the weight is 'slightly' more and the power is 'slightly' more, I just don't see the 2015 Mustang GT 0-60MPH acceleration having any improvement over the 2014 Mustang GT.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
I want my new 2015 car to be faster than the older models (too bad Ford did not agree). So I found this CAI + Tuner combo pack that says it adds as much as 40 HP to the 2014 model for $725:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-race-cai-x4tuner-1114gt.html

I'm hoping the warranty is not void if they see a new CAI bolt-on, but bringing up the 2015 model to 475 HP for $725 is something I will strongly consider in the first year of owing it.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Let's consider the performance of 2014 vs 2015 in acceleration. First, here is the extra weight over the 2014 model:

So what does that extra weight mean for acceleration? If the 0-60 MPH calculators are true, then to equal the 2014 model's acceleration, the weight gain of the GT with a manual will also require an extra 10 HP. The 2015 model picked up 15 HP. So the new 2015 is expected to have almost exactly the same acceleration as the 2014.

As far as the clutch, it's the same MT-82 as the 2014 model. As far as the gearing, looks like the same as the 2014 model also:

Note the above 2015 gear ratios are exactly the same as the 2014 Mustang gear ratios:

http://www.geigercars.de/fileadmin/...Mustang/2014_Mustang/2014_MustangGT_Specs.pdf

So if the gearing is the same, the weight is 'slightly' more and the power is 'slightly' more, I just don't see the 2015 Mustang GT 0-60MPH acceleration having any improvement over the 2014 Mustang GT.
You wont see the BIG improvements in performance until the next camaro arrives.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I want my new 2015 car to be faster than the older models (too bad Ford did not agree). So I found this CAI + Tuner combo pack that says it adds as much as 40 HP to the 2014 model for $725:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-race-cai-x4tuner-1114gt.html

I'm hoping the warranty is not void if they see a new CAI bolt-on, but bringing up the 2015 model to 475 HP for $725 is something I will strongly consider in the first year of owing it.
Not sure if you are unaware, but... the s550 based 2015 Mustang, will (ie: does) outperform the previous versions. (Period!)

Additionally, Ford has engineered a new intake. I wouldn't be so apt to just "go out and buy" anything, until things are proven. Consequently, "bolt-ons" are somewhat generic now. If you've read any of the engineering pdf's, on the engine changes, etc.

I would think a "Ford Tune" is all most will need. If you are looking for more than a "tune", it won't be cheap.

I think many know & understand that the GT350 & other SVT variants will be for those who are looking for moAr performance & moAr numbers.

These platforms will be ready to bank whatever you want, easily. Don't forget that the DFI engine is hiding in the shadows... but the raw value of the new s550 is in every 2015 Mustang. It essence will own get better as different takes get to sip on it.

Rousch/SVT/Saleen, etc..

I can't wait to see a v6 twin-scroll'rs on a s550..!! I have $50k for that SVo beaotch.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Not sure if you are unaware, but... the s550 based 2015 Mustang, will (ie: does) outperform the previous versions. (Period!)
From what I've read/heard, the only "mention" has that it consistently performs as good or better around the track than the B302LS. Nothing official regarding straight line performance at all.

Seriously, let's all quit making absolute statements before ANYONE we know has been able to even drive one. People read this stuff and then later can't remember what was fact and what was fiction.
Sponsored