Sponsored

What's the top speed for the v6?

joonkim92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ingot silver mustang v6
So I've been hearing long before that the 14 v6 driveshaft snaps if you go past 125. Now apparently the 15 and up share the same driveshaft from the v6 to gt. If anyone can confirm this that would be great. What top speed have you guys gone in your cars if you're tuned? I'm still afraid to pass 125 even though I have been tuned and can go past that speed
Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
ive had mine to 135 a couple times. havnt gone past that yet. I havnt heard of anybody with a s550 having driveshaft issues

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
So I've been hearing long before that the 14 v6 driveshaft snaps if you go past 125. Now apparently the 15 and up share the same driveshaft from the v6 to gt. If anyone can confirm this that would be great. What top speed have you guys gone in your cars if you're tuned? I'm still afraid to pass 125 even though I have been tuned and can go past that speed
I personally had the my car at 159. And the v6 and the GT do share the same driveshaft.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Ya I don't go past 120, that's cool Hunter that you maxed out and had no driveshaft failure or problems cause most people, me included are to scared to max out.. good to know!

Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I've hit 130ish in Mexico. On the highway my top speed is capped at 65 for some reason.

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
Ya I don't go past 120, that's cool Hunter that you maxed out and had no driveshaft failure or problems cause most people, me included are to scared to max out.. good to know!
When i had the 2012 v6 pp, i was always scared of the driveshaft breaking past 120, that car i once did 140 and thankfully nothing broke. But since the new ones has the same driveshaft as the GT and the GT is governed at 149, i figured it would be fine.

HunterStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic
In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I've hit 130ish in Mexico. On the highway my top speed is capped at 65 for some reason.
LOL

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I see some conflicting info around the net. So I want to be clear about the DS that is under my car.
The 2015+ V6 driveshaft is the same one in the GT? It does NOT have the same top speed issues as the 2014 and earlier?
I am not a top speed kinda guy but I do hammer it getting on the highway from time to time and I don't want the DS being in the back of my head at those times.
I have had a DS let go on a drag car once, its no fun. Luckily I had a DS loop on the car but it still made a mess.

Avery202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 silver Mustang
I got my 2015 V6 up 130hp about 3 times really easy with my sct tune the only problem I See is I need to get some good Broke's really some

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford used a speed governor (114 MPH) to prevent S197 V6s from going too fast for the driveshaft. There would be no reason to NOT do that going forward. So you shouldn't be in danger unless you overrode the limiter.

But are you sure the drive shaft is the same part as opposed to the just same style? I ask because MGW says its harder to install the shifter in a GT because the transmission is in a slightly different position front to back in the tunnel. That would mean either the drive shafts are a slightly different length of something at one end or the other makes up the difference. Probably the latter but I can't say for sure.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
If they are the same then why can't I put a carbon fiber GT driveshaft in my car? I mean beside the fact it doesn't need one or I can't afford it. Even The Driveshaft Shop website doesn't say it'll fit, but it doesn't say it wont either.:shrug:

Ferndawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fernando
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Grey V6 Mustang
Yeah I've definitely past 125 and had no issues, just speeding ticket.
Sponsored