Sponsored

Aftermarket Intake Plenum/Manifold

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I ported my manifolds. Ive ported a number of heads and intakes in the past. I talked with terrt from TB built....i payed to have mine done by him...after waiting 5 months i asked for my money back, and just did it myself. Afterwords i sent him pics and he said it looks just like his, but i wemt a little bigger and had to port natch the heads to the lower a little. I also spent a good amount of time making sure the upper matched the lower

shadowsong6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 mustang v6
I ported my manifolds. Ive ported a number of heads and intakes in the past. I talked with terrt from TB built....i payed to have mine done by him...after waiting 5 months i asked for my money back, and just did it myself. Afterwords i sent him pics and he said it looks just like his, but i wemt a little bigger and had to port natch the heads to the lower a little. I also spent a good amount of time making sure the upper matched the lower
yeah, a lot of Terry's problem is he is a one man show, and he got flooded with requests all at once lol. But he's a good guy and knows his stuff

NedMcMahon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible
I third the TB built opinions here. Had mine done there. They look and feel good (not 35hp good, but good). Took weeks longer than promised to get them back though - with me chasing trying to get them.

OP
OP

Rika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 v6 auto
Hi All,
Just read somewhere that JMP is fabricating a sheet metal intake for v6. Is that one off? or are they going to to sell to the public? Hope they make a streetable and affordable intake for us to buy. In another note, they also have twin and single turbo kits for our v6 it seems. Why is no one talking about them? Are they off limits or something. Sorry again, I'm new here.

Rika

Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Hi All,
Just read somewhere that JMP is fabricating a sheet metal intake for v6. Is that one off? or are they going to to sell to the public? Hope they make a streetable and affordable intake for us to buy. In another note, they also have twin and single turbo kits for our v6 it seems. Why is no one talking about them? Are they off limits or something. Sorry again, I'm new here.

Rika
Not off limits. This is actually the first time I've heard of any of those things you've mentioned. Definitely open to the idea of different intake manifolds.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Im sorry...but nobodies ported manifolds are.gunna get you 35hp. Thats like bbk saying the shorty headers get you 14hp lol

Your gunna see 15 to 20hp...tops....from the best ported manifolds

Lmao fuckin fordguy... hey didn't you do yours yourself? If you did what kinda machine tool did you use?

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Yes, but this isnt somethibg just anybody can do. You gotta know what your doing or its pretty easy to screw up. Used a air powered grinder with 1/2" dia sanding drums

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I was watching the video of the Ginetta using our intake and making crazy power. No idea on the tb size. I would expect that it is ported but also the tb extension could be explored by those crafty enough.

[ame]

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I made a tb extension similar to that....it did nothing. Was actually slightly slower according to track aps, and that was after a data log amd re tune

Fwiw, a buddy of mine with a s197 3.7 put a s550 upper on his car and tested both on the same dyno back to back. The s550 upper made a few hp more and 7 fy lbs of tq more than the s197 upper... ;)

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I was watching the video of the Ginetta using our intake and making crazy power. No idea on the tb size. I would expect that it is ported but also the tb extension could be explored by those crafty enough.

I would love to know what exactly Ginetta did to make our 3.7 produce 380hp...

On a side note, I did manage to figure out the exhaust setup! :thumbsup: It consists of LT headers, high flow cats, divorced dual catback, and 4 resonators.

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
One does have to wonder what they did since it sounds NA. But I figure race car and it would probably be unpleasant for daily drive.

It has cats and resonators? I thought they get rid of stuff like those for weight and power.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
One does have to wonder what they did since it sounds NA. But I figure race car and it would probably be unpleasant for daily drive.

It has cats and resonators? I thought they get rid of stuff like those for weight and power.
The cats and resonators are for race rules compliance that Ginetta competes in.

I would be willing to bet that it has ported heads/intake, larger TB, and possibly more aggressive cams. Also it is likely running on higher octane fuel to get a way more aggressive tune then would normally be possible for the street.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I would love to know what exactly Ginetta did to make our 3.7 produce 380hp...

On a side note, I did manage to figure out the exhaust setup! :thumbsup: It consists of LT headers, high flow cats, divorced dual catback, and 4 resonators.
My guess would be lots of compression (milled heads, high comp pistons with piston reliefs, etc.) and VCT delete with much better cams than what we have along with upgraded valve-train. Long tube headers with cat deletes are part of the secret as well. Even though shorties appear to flow better than stock manifolds they are still hindered by the cats (your true bottleneck in the exhaust system). Long tubes + cat deletes are truly the way to go if you can live with the added noise. You're not gaining much with shorties with the cats being there (I've seen a stock manifold S197 run hit 13.1ish with just good driving). They are probably using 100+ octane. Anyone with back in the Focus Duratec world when using an engine from a newer vehicle with VCT (Fusion, Escape etc.) would ditch the VCT and put in Stg 2 or 3 cams while upgrading the valve train. Those engines have a very similar cylinder head to our cyclones as they are both Ford/Mazda collaborations. Contrary to popular belief the VCT in our cars is for fuel economy not all out performance. A set of hotter cams would fare much better. It's sad cams never materialized for this engine due to previous group buy requests going as such: "Like omg they don't add big hp all at once" or "So and so said they aren't worth the money for the possible gains" without even trying them etc. In the n/a world it's about the combination not one specific mod making big gains. Hopefully something can materialize in the future.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
My guess would be lots of compression (milled heads, high comp pistons with piston reliefs, etc.) and VCT delete with much better cams than what we have along with upgraded valve-train. Long tube headers with cat deletes are part of the secret as well. Even though shorties appear to flow better than stock manifolds they are still hindered by the cats (your true bottleneck in the exhaust system). Long tubes + cat deletes are truly the way to go if you can live with the added noise. You're not gaining much with shorties with the cats being there (I've seen a stock manifold S197 run hit 13.1ish with just good driving). They are probably using 100+ octane. Anyone with back in the Focus Duratec world when using an engine from a newer vehicle with VCT (Fusion, Escape etc.) would ditch the VCT and put in Stg 2 or 3 cams while upgrading the valve train. Those engines have a very similar cylinder head to our cyclones as they are both Ford/Mazda collaborations. Contrary to popular belief the VCT in our cars is for fuel economy not all out performance. A set of hotter cams would fare much better. It's sad cams never materialized for this engine due to previous group buy requests going as such: "Like omg they don't add big hp all at once" or "So and so said they aren't worth the money for the possible gains" without even trying them etc. In the n/a world it's about the combination not one specific mod making big gains. Hopefully something can materialize in the future.
Supersix does sell stage cams for our 3.7 but I am not sure what they will do for us.... They are apparently ground from stock cams so unless they are adding material to the stock lobes and then grinding I can't see them being much different from the stock cams.
Sponsored